Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What % of your retirement income comes from/will come from Soc Sec and Pensions?
less than 20% 45 32.14%
20-40% 24 17.14%
41-60% 30 21.43%
61-80% 20 14.29%
more than 80% 21 15.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashflo2u2 View Post
What about annuities? For those of us that have or are thinking about annuitizing a portion of their portfolio does that fit into this?
lf it is an annuity that you purchased rather than one given by a former empoyer, I would assume that would be counted under investments.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I voted 61%-80% though I do not know what it will be as DW and I have three pensions (one COLA'd) as well as both of our SS. We still have not activated one pension, nor have we pulled the cord on either SS. We could easily be spending more today, but are living below our means for a while in order to delay receipt of the DB/SS plans. Also have yet to make any significant W/D on investments.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

At first glance this looks really simple. When I retire my expenses will be covered 100% by my portfolio, then a small pension kicks in, than later I take Social Security. That breakdown is 54% from portfolio, 36% from Social Security and 10% from a non-COLAed pension.

However, the source of the portfolio is primarily from various pension and profit sharing plans (61%), my life savings (27%) and a small inheritance (12%). I’m disinclined to break it down exactly and in my tax bracket I don’t anticipate ever paying more than 10% tax in retirement.

I didn’t vote in the poll.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

0% at this time - I will get a small pension at 55 that will be about 17% of current expenses and SS at 62 will add about another 30% of current expenses. It will be interesting to see how inflation vs non-cola pension/SS works out.....
Old 07-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
0% at this time - I will get a small pension at 55 that will be about 17% of current expenses and SS at 62 will add about another 30% of current expenses. It will be interesting to see how inflation vs non-cola pension/SS works out.....
We will have a non-cola'd pension. Its for a decent amount. Hopefully we wont have out of control inflation
Old 07-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Pensions and social security will definitely account for less than 10% of my retirement income. That's why I want a cushion beyond 25 times my yearly budget.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:16 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

It's early retirement - 0% for a few decades

It should give me a nice boost when it kicks it, but by then may be limited compared to my portfolio.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Right now it's 100% (partly COLAd) pension, ~$30K; it will decrease by ~$7K when I turn 62 (in today's dollars).
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #29

Living 100% on investments, from age 52 to now (54). Next year, DH will get a very small pension (will cover the cost of utilities). May take SS at 62, but it won't be much, due to small salaries while working and retiring at 52.

I do have pension envy, but it just wasn't in the cards for me to get one, so I did the next best thing and funded my own "pension!"
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Income will come 100% from investments until we start receiving SS (if we ever do). After that, and assuming we get 100% of the benefits quoted on our SS statements , SS could represent up to 42% of our retirement income if we start taking SS at 62 and 62% of our income if we wait until the age of 67 to start collecting. For planning purposes though, we always ignore SS benefits in our calculations and assume that our portfolio will have to provide 100% of our retirement income until we die. SS would just be gravy.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:29 PM   #31

social security won't start for 15 years (at 66 & 1/2--lots of long-lifed genes in family) and pension (non cola'd but very likely it will still be there) starts in 14 years.

i don't know yet what percentage will be. guess that depends on how well i manage my money between now and then. after i sell these houses, my plan is to live below the 4% swr (without factoring in ss & pension) though i don't know by how much as yet. (i'm currently spending a tad over that figure, and though likely still very safe, i'm not comfortable with it.)

if i project that my net worth will neither in- nor decrease by the time i collect on pension & ss, they would amount to about 34% of my then spendable budget which i'm hoping will be 34% more than i'll need.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #32

It really is an interesting poll but the results may not mean so much. Three VERY independent variables (pension, SS, investment income) can skew results in either direction. With a nice pension and SS and no investment income you probably vote greater than 80%. Add to the nice pension and SS a portfolio worth ten million and you vote less than 20%. Someone with no pension and not yet collecting SS and living off a small portfolio would vote less than 20%. When that same person starts collecting SS they would vote greater than 80% if they had depleted the portfolio along the way. The posts here tell the real story for each individual. Or do they? I voted 61 to 80 percent on the possibly wrong assumption that my portfolio will still be large enough to provide a reasonable amount of income in additon to our pensions and SS. Also at present age of 55 SS is still too far in the future for my vote to be very accurate. SS means testing may come sooner than we think and change things.
Jeff
Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM   #33

I will get about 600 a month SS in twenty years. I hope that is enough to pay the utilities.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 PM   #34

I'm 20 years away from SS, and have no pension plan.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #35

My percentage will change but by the time I'm 65 we should be drawing 3 pensions and 2 SS's which will put us at 80%. But I'm not RE'd yet so the big pension is not for certain yet, plus it is none of them are COLA'ed.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

There is a hooker here - if I feel the need to leap into my 'cheap bastard mode,' I can run up pension and SS north of 60% with rest from stock dividends.

So to bookend:

27% pension + SS and the rest from nest egg = party til you puke, Mr Market is ok, and you aren't getting any younger.

75% pension + SS and the rest taxible dividends - don't take any Roth or Trad. IRA til old age cause the sky is falling. Of course in 6 yrs The IRS will make me an offer I can't refuse when I turn 70 1/2.

I have a lot of wiggle room. 15th yr of ER - moving spending around can be fun.

heh heh heh - Depending on which retirement calculator I embrace - I can probably wiggle the above numbers even more - etiher way.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #37

The first 3 yrs I lived on 100% savings. At yr 3 pension (non cola) was 45% of needed living expenses at year 9 it will be less than 30%. Year 10 SS & pension will be 60% of needed expenses.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:53 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Non-cola'd pension/SS will amount to 53% of needed funds at the start of retirement in 2010.
Will choose a "level income option" with 66% survivor benefit for pension. It works out the most favorable when run thru FireCalc.
Level income is when the pension is elevated for all the years before one starts to draw SS at 62, at 62 it drops and remains at a lower amount. Pension has 14 different options. I've run all 14 thru FireCalc.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

My company has a unique offer in that if you take the pension at 55, you can either take a small check for the rest of your life, or take a large check from 55 to 67 and then get nothing (presumably SS takes care of you then). I'm leaning towards that choice as the pension is not COLA'ed. I voted 41-60% since I will still have to supplement the larger check. We could survive on it if need be but wouldn't be having much fun.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:19 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Between DW and I it is almost half of our projected income need.

Of course, we could live on those funds if we reduced our lifestyle.

However, the pension does not have a cola and if one of us passes on, the amount is substantially reduced.