Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What % of your retirement income comes from/will come from Soc Sec and Pensions?
less than 20% 45 32.14%
20-40% 24 17.14%
41-60% 30 21.43%
61-80% 20 14.29%
more than 80% 21 15.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This has been interesting, the distribution is broader than I was guessing. People who have a generous COLA'd pension (and that's wonderful) would have a very different view from those of us who do not (like me). And when I read comments on the long term outlook for all of us, it would be nice to know what "camp" folks are in. I assume MegaCorp pensions will continue to decline and completely disappear pretty soon. Thanks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If SS still exists when we are at the age to receive it, it would be 10% or less, due to working overseas for a while, and from retiring early. I have the requisite number of quarters to be eligible, but the total years/quarters is pretty low. For planning purposes, we do not include a figure for SS, and we figure a withdrawl rate of just a bit more than 3%.

R

Old 07-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
This has been interesting, the distribution is broader than I was guessing. People who have a generous COLA'd pension (and that's wonderful) would have a very different view from those of us who do not (like me). And when I read comments on the long term outlook for all of us, it would be nice to know what "camp" folks are in. I assume MegaCorp pensions will continue to decline and completely disappear pretty soon. Thanks...
Yep, very interesting. The poll's distribution is skewed, I was expecting to see something resembling 'normal'. Wonder what a poll which excludes pensions would show...? Would the lower tail disappear?

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So far, almost 30% of the folks are in the <20% camp!

Audrey
Old 07-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Very very interesting. Thanks to the OP for asking the question.
I voted >80%. It will be 86% when everything kicks in, in 8 years.
Dan
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

40% of our current income comes from a COLA'd pension. SS will eventually cover an additional 10% of our income.