Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Offered a package, would you stay or go??
Old 10-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Offered a package, would you stay or go??

My job just sent out an email offering a volunteer separation package. I work for a large company and it's been having financial difficulty for a time. I'm seriously thinking about taking it.

I was planning on retiring at 55 at the end of 2016 anyway.

Offer:
  • 6 months salary
  • 3 months paid cobra
  • employees must submit paperwork accepting offer by 10/31. can continue working to work until 3/31. last day must be on or before 3/31
  • company has to approve the request, if you are deemed essential you can be turned down.
Cannot re-apply to the company for minimum of 12 months.

Cons:
If I submit the paper and the application is accepted it, I cannot change my mind. (ok maybe not a con)

You will be notified by 11/15 whether your application is accepted. If it is the company will stop making the match on your 401K. they currently match us dollar for dollar up to 9%

If you don't accept the offer and they have layoffs and you are picked, you get 1 week severance pay, no company paid coverage.

So my plan is to submit application requesting 3/31 has my final day, get the 6 months severance which would take my to 9/31 with pay and starting my retirement 3 months early
yea or nay?
bclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

You have to take it. You said the company is in financial trouble and if you don't apply, you could still get selected (laid off) and get virtually nothing. Plus, you're only talking about starting your retirement 3 months early and you're getting 6 months salary. That right there is 3 months more than you thought you would have had going into retirement.

Just hope you're not deemed essential.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #3

You need to check to see how your retirement benefits, if any, would be effected by taking a severance package. Of course, if no retirement benefits other than 401k, then may be no impact.
Missing out on the 401k match is really the only negative from my perspective, assuming you are not planning your retirement income too close.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #4

Don't forget:
If you leave in the year you turn 55 or later, 401k withdrawals can be made without the 10% early withdrawal penalty.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Don't forget:
If you leave in the year you turn 55 or later, 401k withdrawals can be made without the 10% early withdrawal penalty.
thanks Jim,
I did not know this.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #6

I'd say go for it if you have enough money to retire. I would do it in similar situation but my megacorp does not believe in offering voluntary retirement.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
My job just sent out an email offering a volunteer separation package. I work for a large company and it's been having financial difficulty for a time. I'm seriously thinking about taking it.

I was planning on retiring at 55 at the end of 2016 anyway.

Offer:
  • 6 months salary
  • 3 months paid cobra
  • employees must submit paperwork accepting offer by 10/31. can continue working to work until 3/31. last day must be on or before 3/31
  • company has to approve the request, if you are deemed essential you can be turned down.
Cannot re-apply to the company for minimum of 12 months.

Cons:
If I submit the paper and the application is accepted it, I cannot change my mind. (ok maybe not a con)

You will be notified by 11/15 whether your application is accepted. If it is the company will stop making the match on your 401K. they currently match us dollar for dollar up to 9%

If you don't accept the offer and they have layoffs and you are picked, you get 1 week severance pay, no company paid coverage.

So my plan is to submit application requesting 3/31 has my final day, get the 6 months severance which would take my to 9/31 with pay and starting my retirement 3 months early
yea or nay?
you've already decided.... quit bragging... quitter winner!
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
you've already decided.... quit bragging... quitter winner!
lol!!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I'd say go for it if you have enough money to retire. I would do it in similar situation but my megacorp does not believe in offering voluntary retirement.
I have been there 22 years and this is the ONLY time I can remember them ever offering it.

You cannot believe the rumors this thing has generated. they had to readjust the third quarter sales and cash flow down by 50% and coupled with this, everyone is betting on a huge layoff by the end of the year.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #10

btw... which company... need to know what to short!
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:43 PM   #11

Take it and run!
Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like a pretty clear message from the early retirement Gods. If I was in your place I would probably take it.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you will kick yourself if you don't. Time > money!

How much more will you save by working all that time? In the big picture, not enough!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
btw... which company... need to know what to short!
don't want to name names but let's say it's one of the largest chemicals company's located id De.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As long as there is no financial downside with regard to benefits I would take it in a flash. Why not?
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #16

It sounds like a good deal. I hope it all works out for you and you are enjoying retirement early next year.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Don't forget:
This may be true... or may not be true. It's up to the plan. Please verify with your 401k plan documents whether you can withdraw between the age of 55 and 59.5 penalty free. The law states that plans CAN offer this provision to allow non-penalty withdrawals if you separate after age 55... but it is not required. So check your plan.

I would take the deal in a heartbeat.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Would you turn down a lottery win? If not, what's the difference?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #19

Run Forest, Run!!!

ER awaits!
Old 10-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

If the only difference in dates between when you wanted to leave and the severance is 3 months.... heck yea, take it...

They just told you 'take a 6 month paid vacation'.... what is not to like about that
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote