Join Early Retirement Today

Oh, Canada....
Old 04-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh, Canada....

I want to start putting money into Canadian investments.

I think Canada has a future you guys...really!

Energy/Commodities - they are in demand and Canada's got 'em, baby...

The canadian(ien) dollar maybe at parity with the US dollar sooner than ya think....the ways things are goin'...eh?

Are there any Canadian investment sages out there?
If not are there any other kind of sages on the forum (trick question which hockey team plays at The Forum)...heheheheh

Merci.

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Oh, Canada....
Old 04-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #2

Last July I put 1% of my port (part of my developed market investments) into EWC, the Canadian exchange-traded fund. It's up over 29%. Last time I checked, it's still about 1/3 natural resources, 1/3 finanical institutions, rest miscellaneous. Definitely one of my better moves. It's a large cap blend fund with low yield and low turnover. Gonna need to balance out at some point<sniff-sniff>.

I always did love maple leaves.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My only concern about Canada is that when (not IF) the crap hits the fan here, they might be hurt pretty bad too

But still, it is better to put money there than here.
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone know if the oil sands investments are all priced up? Any opportunities there? The stat that gets thrown around is there is more oil in the Canadian Oil Sands than in all of Saudi Arabia (I think that's it).
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #5

The Canada lovefest has been in high gear for several years already.(translation::late for the party, but there may be some cheese and crackers around here somewhere).
As long as oil and other stuff in the ground is hot Canada should be OK, but anything you buy will follow oil closely.
I have owned a nice chunk of Fido FICDX for about 3 years and I'd say it is the way to go. *The ETF EWC is good as well, but if I'm not mistaken it has underperformed Fido slightly.
The real reason I like Canada is cause they sent my college a bunch of outstanding hockey players.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

But it is VERY EXPENSIVE to take that oil out (unlike in Saudi). I don;t think anyone has a clear idea of how much the Canadian oil would really cost.
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

http://tinyurl.com/qezlt

Extra, Extra, read all about it.
Quote:
Medical marijuana hits stock market
Apr. 6, 2006. 07:18 AM

EDIT: Shortened URL
Old 04-06-2006, 02:51 PM   #8

For Canadians who want a part-time job in retirement, how about product tester for Praiarie Plant Systems*

I wonder if anyone will sue them because they became obese due to chowing down boxes of Nilla Wafers?

Oooh, I hope this company makes it onto the Canada stock index...just knowing I own a piece of it puts a goofy grin on my face...

=astro, with fond memories of a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
Old 04-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Anyone know if the oil sands investments are all priced up? Any opportunities there? The stat that gets thrown around is there is more oil in the Canadian Oil Sands than in all of Saudi Arabia (I think that's it).
Laurence: I've got a small wild and crazy one for you, but do your due diligence. DWOG.PK
Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'll check it out!

astro...LMAO, nilla wafers! I know the feeling...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #11

This would have been a great idea 5-6 years ago.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #12

Dan: I've got a nice safe one for your bond money. XSB.TO It's just a short-term AAA bond fund that pays out about 4%+ (I own it, but can't remember the exact number). I agree with you about the future of the US$. I also like that it strips out 15% of the twice/year coupon for Canadian taxes which can then be used as a deduction against US taxes. You know, we gotta support the Canadian life beer-style,eh?

I'm just visiting for a short time .
Old 04-06-2006, 03:28 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by camberiu
But it is VERY EXPENSIVE to take that oil out (unlike in Saudi). I don;t think anyone has a clear idea of how much the Canadian oil would really cost.
Yes, it's a bit more expensive to get the oil out of the sand (I think around $20/barrel), but at $60 US/ barrel anyone can make money with the oil sands. By the way, yes we do have more oil than good old Saudi.

The boat has totally left yet on their development. There is still some major work to be done in the next five years. CNRL (Canadian Natural Resources Limited) is still building their project and most of the other current projects have expansion plans. So do some research and find out if you want to buy in now.

There's also some diamond mines in the far north. Tahera just finished construction of their mine and their first production report is due out in May. Full production is supposed to be underway now.

Then there is several new coal mines in nothern BC. China's demand has suddenly made several old mines money makers again.

That's just off the top of my head. Not to mention Canadian banks have been making hug profits for about a decade now.

Have fund shopping!

CF

Old 04-06-2006, 03:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Last July I put 1% of my port (part of my developed market investments) into EWC, the Canadian exchange-traded fund. It's up over 29%. Last time I checked, it's still about 1/3 natural resources, 1/3 finanical institutions, rest miscellaneous. Definitely one of my better moves. It's a large cap blend fund with low yield and low turnover. Gonna need to balance out at some point<sniff-sniff>.

I always did love maple leaves.
Astro - I like Maple leaves too - I went through some school papers my mother saved from almost 50 years ago - the maples from our tree are still in perfect pressed shape...EWC - nothing wrong with that return you got there....probably put some in too - like the idea of spreading it out - thanks..
Old 04-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
The Canada lovefest has been in high gear for several years already.(translation::late for the party, but there may be some cheese and crackers around here somewhere).
As long as oil and other stuff in the ground is hot Canada should be OK, but anything you buy will follow oil closely.
I have owned a nice chunk of Fido FICDX for about 3 years and I'd say it is the way to go. The ETF EWC is good as well, but if I'm not mistaken it has underperformed Fido slightly.
The real reason I like Canada is cause they sent my college a bunch of outstanding hockey players.

JPatrick - you can really turn a phrase and probably pretty good at cutting the cheese too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
Dan: I've got a nice safe one for your bond money. XSB.TO It's just a short-term AAA bond fund that pays out about 4%+ (I own it, but can't remember the exact number). I agree with you about the future of the US$. I also like that it strips out 15% of the twice/year coupon for Canadian taxes which can then be used as a deduction against US taxes. You know, we gotta support the Canadian life beer-style,eh?

I'm just visiting for a short time .
EH! Good to hear from you ... XSB.TO - how does it work with Canada taxes - they take out the taxes and I don't have to do Canadian tax filing?
Where do you deduct on US... I have an aversion to making my tax life anymore complicated
If the C$ does continue to climb they'll start pricing canadian water beer in the US like the high price yuppie craft & European beers - that'll be a shame eh?
Old 04-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #16

"Oil and the Canadian Dollar
Oil is one of the world's basic necessities - at least for now, most people in developed countries cannot live without it. In 2005, the price of oil at its peak was close to 65% higher than where it started in January of the same year. Since hitting a high above $70 a barrel in August 2005, oil prices retraced 18%, ending 2005 approximately 40% higher. There was a time when we would expect such volatility only from a penny stock, but this has become our reality. The rise in oil prices has brought a great big smile to the faces of oil producers - and a nice fat boost to their pocketbooks. Oil consumers, on the other hand, have had to pinch pennies throughout the rally. (For further reading, see Getting A Grip On The Cost Of Gas.) As a net oil exporter, Canada has benefited the most from the rally in oil, while Japan - a major net oil importer - has suffered the most.

Over the past three years (2003-2005), the correlation between the Canadian dollar and oil prices has been approximately 80%. Canada is the ninth largest producer of crude oil in the world, and it continues to climb up the list, with production in oil sands increasing regularly. In 2000, Canada surpassed Saudi Arabia as the United States' most significant oil supplier. Unbeknownst to many, the size of Canada's oil reserves is second only to those in Saudi Arabia. The geographical proximity between the U.S. and Canada, as well as the growing political uncertainty in the Middle East and South America, makes Canada one of the more desirable places from which the U.S. can import oil. But Canada does not service only U.S. demand. The country's vast oil resources are beginning to get a lot of attention from China, especially since Canada has recently stumbled upon a new stash of oil after a reclassification of its Alberta oil sands to the "economically recoverable" category. This makes the Canadian dollar one of the currencies best positioned to benefit from an ongoing surge in oil prices.

The chart below shows the clearly positive relationship between oil and the Canadian loonie. In fact, it should come as no surprise that the price of oil actually acts as a leading indicator for the price action in the CAD/USD. Since the traded instrument is the inverse, or USD/CAD, it's important to note that based on the historical relationship, when oil prices go up, USD/CAD falls.

Figure 1 - A look at the correlation between the price of oil and the price action in the CAD/USD from December 2002 to September 2005"

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...Currencies.asp

[i]"Going for Gold
Gold traders may also be surprised to hear that trading the Australian dollar is just like trading gold. As the world's third largest producer of gold, the Australian dollar has an 85% positive correlation with the precious metal. Generally speaking, this means that when gold prices rise, the Australian dollar appreciates as well. The proximity of New Zealand to Australia makes Australia a preferred destination for exporting New Zealand goods. Therefore, the health of New Zealand's economy is closely tied to the health of the Australian economy, which explains why the NZD/USD and the AUD/USD have had a 96% positive correlation over the past three years (2003-2005). Interestingly enough, the NZD/USD actually has an even stronger correlation with gold than the AUD/USD does - the correlation has been 90% over the past three years."[/i]
Old 04-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

XIC/TSE

20% of my Portfolio.

China and India are just starting to industrialise, buy the picks and Shovels.

TRP/NYSE Great company, brilliant Future, safe dividend.

EIT/TSE Trust of Trusts

IMPORTANT. Canada has eliminated its' defecit, all Provinces must balance ther budgets, Canada is paying off its' debt, Health Care already in place.

The Arctic has HUGE potential ,global warming may allow the NW Passage in a few years.

A few degrees increase in climate is disaster for some countries, for Canada, it makes a lot more land arable.

2% of the World's Population, 20% of the World's Fresh Water.

WATER, you can't drink Oil.

God keep our Land, Yeah, we can still keep God in our National Anthem.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #18

Dan: We're still using an accountant for our taxes, so I just don't have an answer for you today. Our online brokers register the dividend/interest amounts and then the next day subtract the 15%. At tax time I just hand the queen the paper work and it disappears. Then a few weeks later I write a check--or no. I do get a Canadian form from the broker with a total paid in. I'm sure it's just a one line entry on the tax form--er, forms, err booklet, and some subtraction somewhere. It's just that I never look. Ask about April 15th and I'll tell you where.

I like a lot of those Canadian stocks because they remember that dividends are why you buy them. The pay out, you bet! Live long and drink beer , eh!

Old 04-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

from JPatrick:
Quote:
I have owned a nice chunk of Fido FICDX for about 3 years and I'd say it is the way to go.
The Fidelity Canada Fund, FICDX, has done very well for me, too. Canada has been more fiscally responsible that the US for the past few years, which helps their currency. It is an "extraction-based" economy (read: mining, oil, timber, etc.) that booms when commodities are hot. As you may know, I work up here in the oil sands business. From where I can see, this business should be more or less hot for a long time, unless China has setbacks. Demand is high and there are enough unreliable suppliers that, in the balance, prices are up. And, yes, there are a few cheese and crackers around here somewhere.

By the way, for those who fancy the idea, Alberta is a great place to find work these days.

Cheers,

Ed