Join Early Retirement Today

Oil at $220 barrel?
Old 02-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oil at $220 barrel?

Some analysts fear we could see this with continued unrest in the Middle East. I don't like thinking about what this could mean for our economy.

Ziggy, you're our only hope

It's official: The Oil Boom Is Over

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They worry about Saudi and others undergoing revolution and the flow of oil slowing/stopping.

They worry about something like what happened in Iran in 1979 and the subsequent drop off in production.

Right now there is plenty of supply. But we are seeing the "what if" risk premium ruling the market.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #3

I stopped paying attention to what "Some analysts" think, some time ago. Where did they pluck that figure from? Probably because it's exactly 2.0 times today's peak. In other words, they have no clue.

If oil went to $200/barrel and looked like staying there, alternative technologies would be rolled out very quickly. Right now, the "low" (yes, everything's relative) price of oil is the single biggest obstacle to "clean energy" (if you're Green) or "removing dependence on foreigners for our energy" (if you're on the Tea Party side of the aisle).
Old 02-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I stopped paying attention to what "Some analysts" think, some time ago. Where did they pluck that figure from? Probably because it's exactly 2.0 times today's peak. In other words, they have no clue.

If oil went to $200/barrel and looked like staying there, alternative technologies would be rolled out very quickly. Right now, the "low" (yes, everything's relative) price of oil is the single biggest obstacle to "clean energy" (if you're Green) or "removing dependence on foreigners for our energy" (if you're on the Tea Party side of the aisle).
After the 1973 embargo, the price of crude rose by a factor of around 4.5 X. So a factor of 2 is nuthin'. The factor 2 they use is a guess but a guess supported by historical evidence.

The other technologies are around. But they certainly can't be rolled out "quickly" to the scale that we will need them to be. Disruption will be everywhere should the worst case scearios come to be.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would imagine that oil woud not stay at 220 long. Between the demand destruction and the rollout of alternatives (we are floating on a sea of natural gas), it would not last long at that level.

I also have yet to see signs of trouble in Saudi.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #6

I say get those e. coli bacteria they've gotten to produce crude oil into production.

Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol - Times Online
Old 02-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #7

Good thing I got in on that BP stock when it dropped to $30/share and Transocean at $43/share...
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #8

"Some analysts" think almost anything.

Certainly, enough political upheaval in the ME would cut production and raise prices. Since the short term demand for oil is pretty inelastic, prices could go up a bunch (as in multiples of the current price for a short period). But remember, those people trying to replace Gadhafi in Libya don't want to turn off the oil. They simply want to pump it, sell it, and redirect the profits into their own pockets. So long term the oil starts flowing again. The same is true in the other oil producing countries.

Yes, any spike in oil prices is bad for the US, especially since we're on very thin ice economically. But at this point there's no way of knowing whether we've already seen the peak price (since the market is already discounting some restrictions) or whether it will get a lot worse.

The only "analysts" I'd trust would be those who accurately and publicly predicted Tunisia, Egypt, etc. Here's the complete list that I've been able to find: { }

I'll agree that long term we'll adapt to any sustained price change. I think random rapid fluctuations (which are most commonly caused by politics) would do more harm since we don't adapt as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #9

The two best jobs in the world are: analyst and critic. You can be wrong all the time and still keep your job.
TJ
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #10

Someone in the middle east breaks wind or one piece of economic data comes in that suggests the economy doesn't *totally* suck, and in come the speculators. Makes a solid recovery challenging if even possible at all.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #11

DW and I were talking about this the other day. If and when gas hits $5/gal, there will be the wailing and gnashing of teeth in this country. From the average worker on down, they won't have enough money to get to work so they will stay home. Crime will increase as the desperate people will start stealing, including gas. Any thoughts on this subject or am I over reacting? Cross that bridge when we get to it or start planning now? I don't think that high a price will happen as this country won't let it happen.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This is the very real possibility that could be only hours away:

Gaddafi's Next Move: Sabotage Libya's Oil and Sow Chaos?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
DW and I were talking about this the other day. If and when gas hits $5/gal, there will be the wailing and gnashing of teeth in this country. From the average worker on down, they won't have enough money to get to work so they will stay home. Crime will increase as the desperate people will start stealing, including gas. Any thoughts on this subject or am I over reacting? Cross that bridge when we get to it or start planning now? I don't think that high a price will happen as this country won't let it happen.
This sounds bad, but what if we had to pay what Europeans pay now?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
This sounds bad, but what if we had to pay what Europeans pay now?
Europeans have easier access to mass transit. A two-hour drive to work here in Northern VA with an SUV would cost ~$30-50/day just in gas cost at $5/gallon, plus the cost of parking or metro. If you're making $100-150/day at work, gives you a little less incentive to roll out of bed...
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Europeans have easier access to mass transit. A two-hour drive to work here in Northern VA with an SUV would cost ~$30-50/day just in gas cost at $5/gallon, plus the cost of parking or metro. If you're making $100-150/day at work, gives you a little less incentive to roll out of bed...
But at $3/gallon, those people are already paying $20-35/day, plus parking or metro. So $5/gallon - which, let's just remind ourselves, didn't happen even when oil hit $148 - is not such a huge marginal increase.

Seriously, how many people with a 2-hour commute and an SUV are going to start stealing gas? I agree that it will take some money out of people's pockets, but we have to get away from this idea that if you take $50/mo extra off employed people, it will cause the economy to collapse.

If we ever did get to $220/barrel, I would also hope that some people might just think "Well, the reason we are here is that several hundred human beings are dying every day in bloody violence. Maybe the passing of my cheap commute just means I have one fewer blessing to count."
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Yep -- when I was in England, there was a bus that took you to the downtown area that ran every six minutes and trains that connected to much of the rest of England every hour (we took one such train from Liverpool to York). And these were all primarily used by, shall we say, "regular" people who didn't look homeless or scary.

When something runs every six minutes, you don't even need a bus schedule. You just walk to the stop.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #17

Quote:
I think a "golden age of telecommuting" would be more likely. How many of these people need to be physically in their offices to do their jobs? The employers would still want the work done, and the employees would still want their paychecks. IMO, it's more likely the employer & employees would agree on some way to eliminate part or all of the commuting, than that there would be a rapid descent into crime. I listened to an audiobook last year called "$20 a Gallon" or something along those lines. The author projected many changes in American life that he expected to come about as the cost of petroleum products goes up. Anarchy wasn't one of them.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
DW and I were talking about this the other day. If and when gas hits $5/gal, there will be the wailing and gnashing of teeth in this country.
Same sentiments were worded when gas prices first crossed $1/gal.
It's over $3.20 right now and people in US drive annually more miles than ever. Life will go on. We'll adjust.
Maybe buy/rent properties close to places of work.
Maybe bicycle, carpool, vanpool or mass transit?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I say get those e. coli bacteria they've gotten to produce crude oil into production.

Scientists find bugs that eat waste and excrete petrol - Times Online
Our forests need thinning, big time, to prevent fires from killing old growth. Maybe there is synergy here.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #20

I think those dire predictions ignore the market forces. Surely if oil went that high, and gasoline in turn, there would be a sharp drop in demand. Oil producers would still need to sell what they produced and the price would come down to a point that they could sell it. I realize its not quite that simple, but market forces are still part of the equation.

Maybe this would be good for the country in the long run. Not only would it make alternative energy sources more attractive to investors and consumers, but we might start drilling fro our own oil as a stop gap. Both create jobs and opportunity here at home. I would rather see the U.S. producing our own energy rather than depending in others, both friendly and unfriendly, for our energy.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote