Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
There is a need for hybrids, but I don't see everyone going that route anytime soon. For one, they cost more than many are willing to pay. Maybe in time that will get worked out.
NYC has mandated that every taxi be a hybrid by 2013. as time goes on manufacturers will produce only hybrids because it's more cost efficient for them.

you don't need to get oil demand down by 10% or some drastic amount. 1% per year for a few years will drive the price down
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
you don't need to get oil demand down by 10% or some drastic amount. 1% per year for a few years will drive the price down
Conversely, driving the price UP for a few years will lower demand. If that's what we want we ought to just tax it until we get the reduction we want. Simple.

Quote:
NYC has mandated that every taxi be a hybrid by 2013. as time goes on manufacturers will produce only hybrids because it's more cost efficient for them.
It makes sense for taxis, being high usage, stop and go. But it seems silly to mandate it. If the price of gas was UP, the taxi companies would want hybrids on their own (or any better tech that comes along).

It just drives me nits to see Congress regulating technology. Pick the goal, set the price, and let the free market figure out the HOW.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It just drives me nits to see Congress regulating technology. Pick the goal, set the price, and let the free market figure out the HOW.
The nits in Congress love to pick goals. They generally don't care if the technology is cost effective or if it even exists. They don't seem to care if it is even possible or what it might do to the economy or society in general. We are constantly at the mercy of the "Law of Unintended Consequences." Those bozos can't repeal that.

As a group they are techo-illiterates. They'd repeal the laws of thermodynamics if given the chance.

The same comments apply to states too.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Someone may have already said this and I missed it, but what about the poor speculators loosing their shirt in the big drop in crude.

Do I see another bail out coming for the speculators?

Jeb
Jeb-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post
Someone may have already said this and I missed it, but what about the poor speculators loosing their shirt in the big drop in crude.

Jeb
I've been wondering that too. If that speculation was a cause, it must have taken oodles of money, so it was likely very leveraged.

Are they gonna be 'too big to fail'?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post

Everybody and his dog was jammed up in that trade when it came time for it to let go (remember what Uncle Warren says - Innovators are followed by Imitators and then the Idiots show up at the end). Anyway, there may be have been more than a few public pension plans that were holding lots of commodities plays at the end.