Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:53 PM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I thought there were many good points in that thread. Thanks for the link. If we end up spending more of our portfolio than planned, I would consider annuities for longevity insurance when we are older.
Again, it's NOT longevity insurance. It insures that you will live in poverty when you get older.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:03 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETFs_Rule View Post
Again, it's NOT longevity insurance. It insures that you will live in poverty when you get older.
I don't think so. The people in the thread weren't talking about putting their entire portfolio into annuities. Many were suggesting they were a better deal when one is older. I'd have to run the numbers for myself when the time comes, but I would run the numbers and not just go by conventional wisdom that annuities are bad, because conventional wisdom is not a good substitute for a detailed spreadsheet analysis.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
I don't think so. The people in the thread weren't talking about putting their entire portfolio into annuities. Many were suggesting they were a better deal when one is older. I'd have to run the numbers for myself when the time comes, but I would run the numbers and not just go by conventional wisdom that annuities are bad, because conventional wisdom is not a good substitute for a detailed spreadsheet analysis.
That's like saying every football team needs a few bad players.

Detailed spreadsheet analysis -- Thank me later -- http://yourinvestmentadvise.com/28-72-history.html
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Detailed spreadsheet analysis -- Thank me later -- http://yourinvestmentadvise.com/28-72-history.html
Is that your site? And your name is etfs-rule? I'm going to take a wild guess here that this may not be a completely objective analysis.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:53 AM   #85
gone traveling

Quote:
Is that your site? And your name is etfs-rule? I'm going to take a wild guess here that this may not be a completely objective analysis.
I'm going to guess that you're an insurance salesman. That site has numbers. Let me help you out... numbers don't lie. Numbers are not biased. It was you yourself who asked for spreadsheet analysis. I found you spreadsheet analysis.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:15 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm going to guess that you're an insurance salesman. That site has numbers. Let me help you out... numbers don't lie. Numbers are not biased. It was you yourself who asked for spreadsheet analysis. I found you spreadsheet analysis.
Actually I said I would run the numbers for myself, as I have no preconceived bias one way or the other. Many factors would need to be looked at like inflation and alternative option projections with various reiterations under different scenarios. That is what we did with our pension decisions.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:07 AM   #87
gone traveling

Quote:
Many factors would need to be looked at like inflation and alternative option projections with various reiterations under different scenarios.
Run all of the historical back testing you want. Nobody has ever run out of money by following the 4% rule and taking a low risk approach to bond / stock allocation. An annuity is fool's gold. Yeah they give you 6.5% or whatever to start. But eventually inflation will leave that fixed annuity payment seeming like less than 3%. Meanwhile you're taking out perhaps double what the annuity pays with a simple bond/stock mix just when you need it most at age 90 and beyond. Again, historical returns are not "biased". The numbers are the numbers. They don't lie, distort the truth or have an opinion. A SPIA is not muddled like other annuity products. Very cut and dry mathematics.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Well the first problem with the example is that you chose the starting year of 2000 and then also use an annuity payout of 6.3 %. The 10yr was returning 6.5% at the beginning of 2000 so that the annuity payout would be more like 10%.

Second issue I see is that you claim that 2000 would be worst case scenario for your portfolio. However since it's mostly bonds I would suggest using two 14 year periods (as you do in ur example) and begin in 1966 or 1967. Your selected period was a bull market for bonds.

Numbers don't lie, but sometimes assumptions fib...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post

Numbers don't lie, but sometimes assumptions fib...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
<mod edit> If anyone says that annuities are anything less than "the spawn of the Devil" they are quickly accused of being an "insurance salesman". There is no doubt that many terrible annuities have been sold over the years, along with may terrible actively managed mutual funds, so people must understand the assumptions being made by people that proselytize for one asset class over another.

As an example I bought a TIAA-Traditional (a deferred annuity) back in 1987 and it has returned an average annual of 5% and is now returning 4%. It has been a good core fixed income for me. Starting retirement with bond rates so low I feel far happier with my 30% fixed income allocation in that deferred annuity than in a bond fund right now. YMMV

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
Old 11-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #90

Thanks for participating.