Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That sounds very positive. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you had a great day. Good luck with getting an offer for the amount you want--and good that you liked company B a lot more than you expected, it sounds like!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Sounds like you had a great day. Good luck with getting an offer for the amount you want--and good that you liked company B a lot more than you expected, it sounds like!
They were quite adamant that I give them a preferred salary range. After trying to demur (sp?), I ended up doing some research on salary.com using their job description, plus considering what I am "making", plus my own assessment of my ability level. I quoted them a range that was 23%-49% more than my current salary. They accepted it without much comment either way, so I think I'm in the ballpark.

And yes, I did like it better than I thought I would.

Thanks all for the well wishes...

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Yep.... the 'tell us what we can buy you for'.... at some point you have to cough up a number of they might pass you by...

Where I work, I knew that what I was asking was more than they wanted to pay... the recruiter told me... they countered a few thousand lower, but promised to get me there in a year.... good enough for me..

OH, be careful about working for someone else... when I worked for a bank, one of the rules was you had to tell them about any other work you did... they could 'reject' your work if it conflicted with them... I would think that working for two companies in the same industry would be a conflict... I would not hire you if I knew you were working for Co A....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More of the usual "around here in Spain"...
It´s extremely rare that employees are offered stock instead of cash. When this happens, the company is doing well and the stock acts as/or substitutes bonuses, never your basic salary.

Even when a company is going through hard times no employee loves his employer that much to admit that form of paying. Just the mere hint of it gets the unions started. And our Labor Relations officials get in. And next thing you know the comnpany goes under, what with everybody meddling.

On the same bizarre note, a company that is cash constrained wouldn´t bother with making that offer...It would simply shut down and kick all its employees out on their asses!
Nothing like mutual trust.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Had the interviews today -- one softy with the recruiter, one softy with one of the team engineers, a technical interview with two senior engineers, and then lunch and a chat with the manager.

Overall things went well and my impression of the company was much better than I thought it would be.

I will hear next Tuesday or Wednesday one way or the other.

At this point I think there is about a 70% chance they'll offer me a job, and if they do I think it will be for about 30-40% more than what I make now, with better benefits.

If they offer me the job, I think my current plan of action will be to accept the position with company B and when informing company A offer to work nights/weekends for them for stock. That's the best I think I can do.

2Cor521
Update:

A job offer from company B is imminent. The recommendation to hire me is going to the VP today, which is apparently a formality. Should receive a verbal offer tomorrow evening, after which we "settle on terms" (primarily salary and start date, sounds like), then formal offer letter follows.

My plan is still as quoted above, with TexasProud's comment taken under consideration. The two companies are not competitors in any sense of the word; they just both happen to need software engineers. But I will check out company B's policies on the matter before proceeding.

(This all as I'm about to head out on a road trip for company A!)

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck!! I hope you and Company B can agree on terms since it sounds like a more secure and lucrative job in the long run.

It may not be much fun, but as we all know that is why they call it "work". (sigh)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Update:

Dropped the signed offer letter in the mail to Company B. ~33% raise, plus a more complete benefit package.

Informed boss at company A today; he took it pretty well.

2Cor521
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations!

Thank goodness no burning bridges either.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

.......from your forum buddy...bbbamI......
Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Well, hot dang, that worked out well! Congratulations!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. So, then what at Company A? Weekends, evenings still a GO?

-CC
Old 09-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations!!!!! Now you will actually earn money! Earning money greatly adds to job satisfaction... What happens now with your stock in Corp A?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all.

CCdaCE, I talked about it with my boss at company A. He's going to let me get settled at company B, and then we'll see what works best.

Meadbh, I still will own the stock and associated warrants in A. Those securities will either be worthless (if the company fails), or will be purchased from me (and the other ~150 shareholders) if the company grows and votes to sell itself a few years down the road. In the meantime, they are completely illiquid because A is not a market-traded company.

2Cor521
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations and good luck in your new job. If the part time gig works out also it certainly is a path to FIRE sooner. DW and I worked two jobs each for the first twelve years of our marriage and then five more years before we FIRED.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #56

Congratulations on working it out. Well done.

Company B is inevitably going to present some new challenges, but don't be discouraged. You are almost certainly much farther ahead than if you continued to struggle on at company A.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Most companys when I was interviewing gave interviews shortly after working hours. I definitely would not lie to your current employer (and I use that term loosely). You could give them a day's worth of their stock (script) back and tell them your are taking a day off without pay. I'd give them a week's worth of stock back myself and look for a job full time.
cashflo2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #58

Nice job on the 30% raise. I hate to say it, but work is about money. Otherwise, it would be called volunteering. I took my current job under the false assumption that a smaller group would be more focused on the mission and that there would be less BS and politics in addition to being a great learning experience. The learning has not been bad because you do get exposed to more in a smaller place, but the politics and bad behavior is on par with every other place, and it's those times when your dealing with BS that you wish you had taken the better paying job.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote