Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I'll repeat the question.

Khan, you run out of money. You're sitting in a 65k house. You elect to sit in the living room and starve?

Of course not.
I think my in-laws would have. As they aged, their number 1 priority was to "stay in their home." Even after my MIL fell and broke her hip, my MIL and FIL kept talking about moving back home when she got better. They tended to discount the doctor telling them that she would never be able to live outside a nursing facility.

After my FIL was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, we moved him to assisted living when he became difficult to manage. Even after we sold the house, they still talked about moving back home. They were effectively almost broke except for their house by the time we sold it.

I personally believe personal real estate should be in a financial plan. It should also be a relatively small portion of the total assets. If someone has $1.5 MM in net worth and $1MM of that is their house, they need to make some serious adjustments. In my case, my oversized money pit that I'll sell as soon as DW relents is a little less than 15% of our net worth. It has a mortgage so the actual equity is about 5%.

The care and feeding of the house consumes about 40% of our spending (including accruals for major repairs and autos). I would like to cut it to around 20%. BTW the figures include all housing costs such as mortgage, property taxes, repairs, accrual for major repairs, utilities, lawn service, etc. Plus we live in Texas so rattlesnake and scorpion removal fees also apply to housing costs.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Heh. The equity in our house (paid off) accounts for probably around 55% of our net worth. But, then, we're still young. By the time we retire, hopefully the house won't represent more than about a quarter of our assets.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

2b, I suspect CFB was making the assumption the individual who wouldn't sit in their home and starve was of sound mind. From what you've told us about your in-laws I don't think they were in that category.

Probably due to a long history of scorpion stings and rattlesnake bites...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Plus we live in Texas so rattlesnake and scorpion removal fees also apply to housing costs.
I've lived in Texas for more than five years and in the central part of the state (not too far from REW) for more than two. And I'm yet to have an encounter with a rattlesnake or a scorpion. Or a chigger, for that matter. Granted that I haven't tried hard to find them, but...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Heh. The equity in our house (paid off) accounts for probably around 55% of our net worth. But, then, we're still young. By the time we retire, hopefully the house won't represent more than about a quarter of our assets.
Depending on your age that might be a good number. When I first bought a house, it probably represented 75% of my net worth. I once made the mistake of making a mega down payment and neglecting an emergency fund and came very close to losing the house. That was my "Scarlett O'Hara moment" when I vowed to never be poor again.

As you approach retirement, I'd say 25% would be an excessive portion of your net worth.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I've lived in Texas for more than five years and in the central part of the state (not too far from REW) for more than two. And I'm yet to have an encounter with a rattlesnake or a scorpion. Or a chigger, for that matter. Granted that I haven't tried hard to find them, but...
I have been hit by a rattlesnake. I was fortunate to be wearing heavy boots and was hit just below the top of the boot. I had two pretty holes in my boot that just didn't quite make it all the way through.

Chiggers used to be much worse before the fire ants took over most of the state. I think the fire ants eat them.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've lived in Texas for more than five years and in the central part of the state (not too far from REW) for more than two. And I'm yet to have an encounter with a rattlesnake or a scorpion. Or a chigger, for that matter.
Good, then all these fine folks moving to TX to retire will settle next to you and not me...

Interesting what difference a few miles can make (OK, 100 or so - but by TX standards that's next door neighbors) since we've had rattlers on the back steps and in the driveway. And a couple of weeks ago while eating a bowl of popcorn I felt something hit my hand and bounce into the bowl - followed by scurrying sounds. Seems a scorpion fell from the ceiling...

Must be all that granite up your way vs. nothing but limestone down here.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

If nothing else you need to consider your house an asset that produces what you would otherwise be paying in rent less repairs that would not be covered by a landlord and less taxes and insurance.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:22 AM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

I would like to point out something though. A house can, and should be, included iff (not a typo) you plan on downgrading your housing situation in retirement. Some people definitely do use a house as a means to save up some money (equity) and then they sell it and buy a smaller house or rent.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
As you approach retirement, I'd say 25% would be an excessive portion of your net worth.
Net worth of $2 mil, $500k of house, $1.5 mil in equities doesn't seem excessive to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
If nothing else you need to consider your house an asset that produces what you would otherwise be paying in rent less repairs that would not be covered by a landlord and less taxes and insurance.
But if you count it as an income-generating asset, wouldn't you also have to account for the implied rent as an expense?

I keep the house separate from everything else in my portfolio. I'd have to read more about the theory in the original post to figure out what the real benefit is in counting it as part of the asset allocation.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And I'm yet to have an encounter with a rattlesnake or a scorpion. Or a chigger, for that matter. Granted that I haven't tried hard to find them, but...
You better hope REW doesn't track down your mailing address!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #32

Quote:
But if you count it as an income-generating asset, wouldn't you also have to account for the implied rent as an expense?

I keep the house separate from everything else in my portfolio. I'd have to read more about the theory in the original post to figure out what the real benefit is in counting it as part of the asset allocation.
It depends on what you are counting in your asset allocation and what the allocation applies to.

A home is an asset. It has a value. It should be included in "net worth" but possibly not at all in terms of your "portfolio."

For the purposes of including a home in a retirement portfolio, it makes no sense except to the extent you plan to downsize. If you have a $500K home and you'll soon be moving to a $200K home, it makes sense to consider about $250K (profit minus sales expenses and moving costs) as potential retirement investments.

But if you are in a cheap house and there's really little to be gained by selling it to help fund retirement, there's no reason to put it in your asset allocation for retirement. Yes, it's an asset and it has value -- but it has no place in your plan or in your retirement portfolio.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #33

Quote:
It depends on what you are counting in your asset allocation and what the allocation applies to.

A home is an asset. It has a value. It should be included in "net worth" but possibly not at all in terms of your "portfolio."
I agree. I would use the value of the house in a net worth calculation. In addition when doing long-term planning (i.e., Firecalc), I'd make a determination when the value of the house would be cashed out in favor of rental living. That can also have some bearing on how long your nest egg lasts.

-- Rita
Old 06-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Net worth of $2 mil, $500k of house, $1.5 mil in equities doesn't seem excessive to me.
I seems excessive to me but we all have to decide our own "rules." I am assuming you are talking hypothetical since your earlier post said your paid for house was currently 55%.

My consideration for "excessive" assumes no glorious COLA'd government pension that covers 80+% of your living expenses like some of the posters here have. I am basing it on my finances which includes an almost irrelevant non-COLA'd pension and the prospect of maybe getting SS in the undefined future. My income will come primarily from the what is generated by my assets. A $500K house by Texas standards would have almost $15K in annual property taxes and consume an immense amount of electricity and maintenance. Something in the $150-200K range would look much nicer to me with a $2MM net worth.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #35

Yup, that was hypothetical. But maybe not too far out of line with where we're aiming in 15 years.

A 500k house in my area of PA might have 5k of property taxes. 150-200k would be a fairly small townhouse in this area. You couldn't find a single family home you'd actually want to live in for that.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought we were only discussing assets. Are you saying that your retirement is not enhanced by owning a particular home rather than renting it, all else being equal?

Perhaps not if taxes, insurance, and maintenance exceed what the rent and related expenses would be. I don't think that's usually the case though.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:13 PM   #37

I have two lines in our financial spreadsheet.

One is income producing assets. I think the definition is clear.

The other is total assets, including those that produce no income but could be sold at some time to fund our stay in geezer-ville. These include our house and (until maybe this year, finally) Dw's farm land.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
I thought we were only discussing assets. Are you saying that your retirement is not enhanced by owning a particular home rather than renting it, all else being equal?

Perhaps not if taxes, insurance, and maintenance exceed what the rent and related expenses would be. I don't think that's usually the case though.
Oh, right, this was only about the income side of the equation. Just thought it'd be wrong to say: here are my sources of income (including implied rent from the house), and they have to meet my expenses (which, my point was, would have to include implied rent to balance things out).

Nope, I'd rather own my own home. Still, houses aren't cheap. If I sold my paid-for house for $380k (Zillow figure), then say I have $360k in the bank. That's a sustainable $1200 per month at 4%. Another $300 per month in taxes and maybe another $200 per month in maintenance, and I'd be breaking even with a $1,700 per month rental. Maintenance figure is actually fairly low, since I've got a fair amount of deferred maintenance going. Of course, houses usually gain value over time as well... Eh, whatever, I'm not going to sell my house and start renting.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I have heard people suggest that your asset allocation must include all your resources, not just your portfolio. And I have heard people ask how to value their expected SS benefits, pensions, etc. - and I've been told to do a PV calculation. So now that I have all my resources valued - what does it tell me? I am researching, but maybe someone can tell me before I stumble on the answer...
are you asking how to do a PV calculation?

Dave
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
are you asking how to do a PV calculation?

Dave
No, I did that (for SS & pension) to arrive at the pie chart. Now that I have my AA including all "resources" what do I do with it. I was told to consider SS and home like TIPS or bonds, no COLA pension like bonds. So that all suggests I have lots of bonds and should hold more equity in my "portfolio." Just haven't wrapped my head around this concept...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote