Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

Franklin, just as a reference you might find relevant:

- we have the same assets as you do, with paper assets about 50/50 overall
- expensive personal real estate in a HCOL place;
- about 10 years younger;
- I make (made) the same level of income you do, with SAHW. I could have continued at this level for a number of additional years and chose not to.

Decided on enough. Planned carefully and got educated and went DIY for control.

We are living 100% on income from our capital base, endowment style. We intend to never spend capital. Just our preferred approach. This approach dictates our very generous yearly net income and spend levels.

Spouse 100% educated in all of this and onboard.

We have very good expense tracking (not budgeting, not needed). Very high confidence level as a result.

There are many of us in your position. Scale/perceived levels of wealth donít ease fear or the risk of regret. Planning, knowledge and experience do.

Congratulations and good luck!

Iím reasonably sure I will not ever have another ďjobĒ. But do have strong portfolio of personal, professional, with spouse-partner, charitable, travel, fitness and other activities underway and planned.

timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #162
Confused about dryer sheets

Wow.... I did learn from this thread. Two new words I never heard before... Jobby & Humblebrag. Thanks!

davedionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #163
Recycles dryer sheets

At first I was like, "W T F"

But then I thought about it some more. You're being offered approx 3 million US for 2 years of work. That's an insane amount of money. Obviously what you do is of high value to somebody. You must be very good at whatever you do. I would recommend that you take the job offer. It sounds like your skillset will make a big difference. Even if you become a CEO just to gut a company out for a takeover, the company was going to do it anyways, with or without you. Just do it.
YoungSaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:36 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by timemoveson View Post
Franklin, just as a reference you might find relevant:

- we have the same assets as you do, with paper assets about 50/50 overall
- expensive personal real estate in a HCOL place;
- about 10 years younger;
- I make (made) the same level of income you do, with SAHW. I could have continued at this level for a number of additional years and chose not to.

Decided on enough. Planned carefully and got educated and went DIY for control.

We are living 100% on income from our capital base, endowment style. We intend to never spend capital. Just our preferred approach. This approach dictates our very generous yearly net income and spend levels.

Spouse 100% educated in all of this and onboard.

We have very good expense tracking (not budgeting, not needed). Very high confidence level as a result.

There are many of us in your position. Scale/perceived levels of wealth donít ease fear or the risk of regret. Planning, knowledge and experience do.

Congratulations and good luck!

Iím reasonably sure I will not ever have another ďjobĒ. But do have strong portfolio of personal, professional, with spouse-partner, charitable, travel, fitness and other activities underway and planned.
OP here....OK update to all who took the time to respond. I appreciate your opinions as they did help me sort thru the work/retirement thing. Yes it was allot of money but after a year of being retired I can't see jumping back into the market. I can't recall who said this but it basically said "u have already won the game u don't need to spike the ball". Frankly that resonated. Ive since comfortably turned down several flattering offers so that I can finally just do whatever I want. My new mantra is " just books a one way ticket and we will figure out the return whenever". This forum is a blessing to those who need to ask......thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:43 AM   #165
Full time employment: Posting here.

Franklin,

the name of YOUR game , is a comfortable ( worry-free) retirement ,

and it appears 2018 has left you a little worried ,

so options ,
go back to work ( which you have already sounded out ) but don't seem to enjoy

reduce your expenses ( something else you have put some thought into )

increase your investment income ... do you have more options yet to explore ( without taking crazy risks )

so how does that portfolio look after the recent bull run

this will give you a good idea of your risk tolerance in a fairly volatile market

the market has the ability to move around MUCH more than the last 15 months , and we are in unusual times ( when fleeing into Treasury bonds for a safe but adequate income isn't a real option )

remember the market likes to destroy your confidence , if it can

good luck

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote