Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
To be fair you would have to include the "*" (appx. $7000 for public education; Affordability 26%). When you do that it appears there is little difference between the two. The US tax dollars spent for defense over most other countries, I believe to be a factor, and that defense does support other countries as well as US.
I'd say that ~18% higher costs/income is a reasonably significant difference myself, but that's a matter of opinion. I completely agree that our defense spending is much higher relative to others as well. Though I think we're getting off topic, I'll still mention that many countries spend more on other areas (as a % of GDP) than we do, including infrastructure spending (where many OECD countries spend 2-3 times what we do as a % of GDP). There are a lot of variables, and not all countries have the same concerns/priorities on what to spend money on obviously.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #142
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
I'd say that ~18% higher costs/income is a reasonably significant difference myself, but that's a matter of opinion. I completely agree that our defense spending is much higher relative to others as well. Though I think we're getting off topic, I'll still mention that many countries spend more on other areas (as a % of GDP) than we do, including infrastructure spending (where many OECD countries spend 2-3 times what we do as a % of GDP). There are a lot of variables, and not all countries have the same concerns/priorities on what to spend money on obviously.
I was comparing 22% affordability to 26% affordability.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Nope. I was right. The Congressional Budget Office support my numbers. 24 million Americans will not have insurance because they simply cannot afford it. The CBO study proves you are wrong. I don't know why you are even discussing car insurance. The rate of inflation in medical insurance and rising cost of healthcare is very different from auto insurance. Sure, I can easily find a cheaper auto insurance - everyone knows that.

CBO report: 24 million fewer insured by 2026 under GOP health care bill - CNNPolitics.com
The tax guy, Norquyst was on TV and he said CBO was guessing on the number. Mere postulating about the 24 million of people who will lose coverage. But the key thing about the CBO scoring is no tax increase, the bonus is that it's saving money.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #144
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The tax guy, Norquyst was on TV and he said CBO was guessing on the number. Mere postulating about the 24 million of people who will lose coverage. But the key thing about the CBO scoring is no tax increase, the bonus is that it's saving money.
Saving money is easy. Just eliminate Medicaid altogether and they will save even more money.

How about making healthcare more affordable for *more* people while saving money?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:12 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Why do Canadians come across the border? because they do nt want to wait to get treated
This is completely bogus. Please show the real facts, not anecdotal ones.

The reason Canadians come across the border for healthcare is because the Canadian System sends them there (Fully Paid for) so they can get prompt treatment if there is a wait for the same service in Canada.

How it is spun is a different issue.

How do I know? I am Canadian and have had treatment in both countries and the service is basically the same, while there can be a wait for NON ESSENTIAL treatment. YOU still have the choice to pay extra for it. However you will NOT go bankrupt doing it.

Personal Experience completely outweighs anecdotal information.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeHugger View Post
Saving money is easy. Just eliminate Medicaid altogether and they will save even more money.

How about making healthcare more affordable for *more* people while saving money?
Do you want healthcare more affordable or health insurance? It's my belief that forcing more people to buy insurance does nothing to lower the cost of healthcare. If anything, it gives healthcare provides less incentives to lower costs.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
The tax guy, Norquyst was on TV and he said CBO was guessing on the number. Mere postulating about the 24 million of people who will lose coverage...........
The CBO only had a short time to crunch the numbers, the authors of the bill, however, have had 8 years to crunch the numbers. I'd love to see those calculations.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #148
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
It's my belief that forcing more people to buy insurance does nothing to lower the cost of healthcare. If anything, it gives healthcare provides less incentives to lower costs.

How did you arrive at that belief?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #149
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The CBO only had a short time to crunch the numbers, the authors of the bill, however, have had 8 years to crunch the numbers. I'd love to see those calculations.
We've also had 8 years to see that the current plan is unsustainable. Buck up, change is happening.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:07 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
We've also had 8 years to see that the current plan is unsustainable. Buck up, change is happening.
I won't engage. You got the last thread shut down.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM   #151
gone traveling

Quote:
I won't engage. You got the last thread shut down.
And you came in and started working on this one with the same drivel.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #152
Full time employment: Posting here.

My 25yo's catastrophic medical plan thru his employer was $1.49/month. I don't remember the specifics.

If 20-29 year olds can buy that on the open market then the refundable tax credit will benefit them greatly.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:13 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And you came in and started working on this one with the same drivel.
You won't have to worry anymore, I've added you to my ignore list.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #154
gone traveling

Quote:
You won't have to worry anymore, I've added you to my ignore list.
Great! I love how it's ok to state a negative to the side you have a problem with, but you throw a tantrum when it goes the other way. Have a good life/retirement!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #155
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This is why we can't have nice things...
Old 03-14-2017, 11:17 AM   #156
Administrator

Quote:
Great! I love how it's ok to state a negative to the side you have a problem with, but you throw a tantrum when it goes the other way. Have a good life/retirement!
I suggest that you learn about the ignore feature as well, or take it offline.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #157
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I suggest that you learn about the ignore feature as well, or take it offline.
Thanks. I didn't realize there was one until Travelover mentioned it, so I looked and have put it to use.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeHugger View Post
How did you arrive at that belief?
The law of supply and demand. The ACA artificially increased the demand.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is not just the CBO. Other organizations have come up with similar orders of magnitude projections, like the Commonwealth Fund, The Rand Corporation and S&P.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #160
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
The law of supply and demand. The ACA artificially increased the demand.
Johanson,

Then how do you explain Germany, France, UK, Italy, Spain, Austria, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium etc. Countries with Universal Healthcare, lower costs and higher quality?

At under 10% of GDP spend on Healthcare they cover 100% of their population.
Closed Thread