Older Job Seekers

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is an interesting (39 page) document... but if an unexpected return to the w*rkforce is possible, at least, you [-]will [/-]can be prepared.

http://www.metlife.com/assets/cao/mmi/publications/studies/mmi-buddy-can-you-spare-job.pdf

For instance, the study lists "The Significant Seven" -- the most common mistakes older Americans make when they are looking for a j*b, as exemplified by the following common faulty assumptions: "
  • 'I'll just do what I was doing before."
  • "My experience speaks for itself."
  • "I don't have time for this touchy-feely stuff about what work means to me."
  • "I know! I'll become a consultant...!"
  • "Of course I'm good with computers."
  • "I'll just use a recruiter for some career coaching."
  • "I've always been successful, so why should things be different now?"

Rank one of those mistakes as being a short attention span for statistics. If someone hired by the corporate HR department asked me about retirement plans I'd tell them I plan to work forever too.

Actually I am out of work and looking to return to a full time job.HINT-health insurance. I lost my job during cancer treatment medical leave and am going to be in trouble when COBRA runs out.

When the subject of wage expectations comes up I don't know what to say. I want a smaller job with smaller pay then I had and don't know how to say that in a positive way. There is plenty of turnover in employees of all ages for so many reasons I wish I could mention that a 5 or 6 year tenure in a job is probably good.

› A potentially longer work life is a
paramount issue for employees
• Fifty percent of the respondents say that
within the past two years they have changed
their minds about when they will retire—
and now it is later than originally expected.

> Forty-four percent, however, have not
changed their retirement expectations,
while only 6% plan to retire earlier than
expected.
Guess which 50% the document discusses? In fact they title it "Buddy, can you spare a job." Guess we at this forum will have to take care of the other 50%.

Back
Top Bottom