Join Early Retirement Today

OMM
Old 06-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

OMM

Awhile back I moved my date form 3/1/16 to 7/5/16 to be eligible for this year's bonus. I have yet to give notice and have actually put in request for vacation for the week of 7/11/16. Guess this means I plan to still be w@#rking then.

I find myself in a situation where the work is easy now in my downsized role. (My job was eliminated last year and I was offered a package or a none managerial role as a choice. I wrote about this in an earlier thread.) I supervise no one and a rarely work more than 40 hours per week and I still make the same salary as I did when I had the more stressful role. Most of the time I am left alone as they know I can leave any time as I have now turned 55 and have the 75 points to retire. I also, have my whole weekend to do what I want as I rarely have to even look at email now.

The thing is I am having trouble pulling the trigger now. I look at the calendar and see another milestone. If I stay until October, the bonus will be in the bank. If I stay until the end of December, I will get the 6% from the MC added to my 401K. You get the idea. The thing is, its really not about the money.

When I was totally stressed and ready to go, I wasn't financially ready. Now I have the financial plan, but I can't put in my notice.(I have used firecalc and probably 6 other calculators, they all say I am good.)

On the other hand by not retiring I am limiting my travel to one week periods and I am only able to do what I want on weekends instead of any time I want.

I guess I need to get this out there, so I can figure what I am doing.
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If you don't have a plan for retirement, then really I don't see anything wrong with what you are doing.

Worst thing would be to retire, and then sit in the house watching tv.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Try one (or both) of these:

Imagine your company suddenly had to economize in a big way and eliminated your job tomorrow. How would you feel?

Imagine you went in for your medical checkup and were told you had a year to live, although you would be in good shape for almost all of that year. What would you do?

Your reluctance to give up what you've done for so long is natural and understandable. But it would be wise to do some deep thinking about it. You may decide it's right to keep on keeping on. Or you may not.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasset View Post
The thing is I am having trouble pulling the trigger now. I look at the calendar and see another milestone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Your reluctance to give up what you've done for so long is natural and understandable. But it would be wise to do some deep thinking about it. You may decide it's right to keep on keeping on. Or you may not.

Sasset, I've been playing the OMY/OMM game for way longer than I'd ever expected after switching to telecommuting 5 yrs ago, then going PT 2 yrs ago, and now fully retiring in about 2 months.

What I find interesting is the degree to which I've enjoyed reaching for the next milestone. And the path is strewn with them both on and off the job. So shortly my only remaining milestones will be those non-job ones such as Medicare and delayed SS at 70. (I guess there is that pesky 70.5 but I'd hardly call that a milestone.)

You sound like you're in a pretty good spot and neither decision sounds like it would necessarily be "wrong". But when you do finally pull the trigger, just know that you won't be out of milestones or timing decisions to make. Plus you probably already know this but if you particularly like math, the retirement phase involves more than enough to keep you entertained.
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If you like your job and you're gonna get a lot of dough if you stay until the end of the year why not stay?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
If you like your job and you're gonna get a lot of dough if you stay until the end of the year why not stay?
That's what I'd do. You don't have to leave at any particular time.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There is a difference between financial and psychological readiness. When you feel ready, you will know. Until then, just carry on.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yes several of my workmates reached mandatory retirement age ans died within a year after being kicked out. Be sure you are ready and willing to pursue your next life. No one will look to your for your expertise except for free. But you will no longer care. It is not automatic but will be an easy transition if you are ready.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would say not worry about it. If you want to stay one more month, three months or one year. No problem, stay! You will know when the time comes that you really want to leave.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of your input. I have debating what to do, but for now will just keep on keeping on!
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #11
gone traveling

If you enjoy work more than you think you would enjoy retirement, I'd keep working. When the desire to retire outweighs the other, if financially ready, make the change.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
If you enjoy work more than you think you would enjoy retirement, I'd keep working. When the desire to retire outweighs the other, if financially ready, make the change.
+1 It is all about being happy. If you are happy, keep doing what you are doing. If they mess with you (new jerk boss, threaten layoffs, bad assignment) - leave.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

There's always SOMETHING a few months ahead to wait for.

I retired on November 9th (2009), but "everybody knows" that it is better for a federal employee in the FERS system to retire on the first working day in January.

If I had waited until the first week in January, I would have a slightly higher pension and I would have been able to contribute to the TSP in 2010 as well. Oh well!

If I had stayed until January, I would have noticed that my pension would be quite a bit higher had I waited until June when I turned 62.

There is always another financial reason to keep working a few more months. I didn't, and I haven't regretted it even slightly. Once you are sure that your financial plan is on solid footing and that you are financially ready, then all that remains is whether or not you are emotionally ready. When both of those line up and point to retirement, it's time (IMO).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As Sunset mentioned, you better have a plan for when you do retire. Even a bad plan is better than no plan. Sounds like the "new" job is a great situation. Why not stick around until someone brings it to your attention that it's time to get out the door. Planning is everything right now.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote