Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Good luck, Jolly!

At my Mega, similar things are occurring. We have some people with reduced hours, but since they expect everyone to work all the time anyway, a 3 day a week person works 5 instead of 7.

I floated a trial balloon last summer about retirement and my boss mentioned part time. I'm not going to do it. It would be like letting the glide path intersect sea level and trying to glide under water.
Great point. I have good friends who have already gone through this route at Megacorp, so they have given me lots of pointers about how to make sure you stick to that part time agreement. The main is you need to be tough, block off your calendar on non workdays, and shut down work email completely on those workdays. Our jobs entail traveling so if that is done be sure to track the travel days as work days and get them back. For example, one friend would help me teach a class that including travel was 4 days a week, so she never signed up to for classes in consecutive weeks and was always sure never to work more than 2 days the week after a class.

The biggest challenge is to (as the saying goes) not letting perfect be the enemy of good. During my climbing the ladder years I often did this, and would spend extra hours and days on a project to make it perfect in my view. Fortunately I have been seeing lately that my "good" satisfies the requirements 99% of time... so I'm saving a lot more time following that path .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you really need the money? My boss tried to tempt me with offers of bonuses, working from home 100%, etc., but what I really valued was spending time with DH, family/friends, and traveling. By the time I gave my notice, I didn’t need any more $$.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Do you really need the money? My boss tried to tempt me with offers of bonuses, working from home 100%, etc., but what I really valued was spending time with DH, family/friends, and traveling. By the time I gave my notice, I didn’t need any more $$.
I do not really need the money, but some of the work I do find interesting and some aspects of it are like a hobby... if I can get paid for doing a hobby according to a schedule and results that I can control, I'm willing to try it out and see. I can always decide it is not worth it.

I'm already working from home, and in the last year have received some surprisingly huge bonuses. So maybe they have already subtly tried to tempt me .
Old 03-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #44

Sure, if you think you’d enjoy doing the work more than you’d enjoy doing other things with your time, why not? In my case I knew I would enjoy other activities more than I’d enjoy continuing to work, even if my compensation was increased, so I left. YMMV
Old 03-06-2018, 06:47 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

One other thought, the TTR can be a nice bridge to spending more time doing other things. It also protects you on the RA side. I think if they offer it and you go for it, you need to be really sure you can lock down overtime on days you work, and checking email on days you don't work.
Perhaps find a few colleagues who have done TTR and are now gone, and ask "would you do TTR again and why?".
Good luck.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Glider has LANDED! Now slowly strutting off the runway
Old 04-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Glider has LANDED! Now slowly strutting off the runway

It is locked and loaded!

My carved in stone retirement date is the end of June. They offered me full salary and benefits for an additional 2 months, with only a single project to assist on. That project will be no more than 16 hours a week. Those hours are used for travel and giving a couple of short classes that I have done several times already (so that my replacements can pick up the knowledge), so no new work. I do not have to do anything else. With my other projects completing over the next 2 weeks, May and June will be very leisurely months.

I will also get a severance package with some pay and vacation reimbursement, and includes medical at employee rates through the end of 2019.

Part time has been floated... but I have made up my mind that I will not consider anything before Labor Day. It will not feel like "real" retirement without at least 2 months of no work. And even then, I may not go for it. But it is nice if the choice is there.

I am incredibly relaxed now... very fortunate that things have worked out like this!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
It is locked and loaded!

My carved in stone retirement date is the end of June. They offered me full salary and benefits for an additional 2 months, with only a single project to assist on. That project will be no more than 16 hours a week. Those hours are used for travel and giving a couple of short classes that I have done several times already (so that my replacements can pick up the knowledge), so no new work. I do not have to do anything else. With my other projects completing over the next 2 weeks, May and June will be very leisurely months.

I will also get a severance package with some pay and vacation reimbursement, and includes medical at employee rates through the end of 2019.

Part time has been floated... but I have made up my mind that I will not consider anything before Labor Day. It will not feel like "real" retirement without at least 2 months of no work. And even then, I may not go for it. But it is nice if the choice is there.

I am incredibly relaxed now... very fortunate that things have worked out like this!
Congrats on your wonderful glidepath!
Old 04-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #48

Congrats Jollystomper!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #49

Congratulations! So happy this has worked out for you. My thought is to allow yourself until January 2019 before doing any part-time work. Having six months is better than only two to evaluate how you like retirement, plus that way you can enjoy the holidays stress-free.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Congratulations! So happy this has worked out for you. My thought is to allow yourself until January 2019 before doing any part-time work. Having six months is better than only two to evaluate how you like retirement, plus that way you can enjoy the holidays stress-free.
A great point that I had not yet thoughtfully considered. A sister and a brother, both of whom retired, gave me similar advice

DW also mentioned, which I had forgotten, that some of our best "couples" getaways we took were in mid-late fall, when the weather is still very nice, many places have far fewer crowds, and expenses are lower.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #51

Before I ER’d, I was considering giving a longer notice period - 3-6 months rather than my contractually required 30 days. A good friend asked me why I’d want to work through the holidays, when I could be relaxing and enjoying them stress-free. Turned out to be great advice for me! Gave 30 days notice and never looked back. I’ve been ER’d almost 18 months now. While I have enjoyed ER from Day 1, I don’t think I really adjusted to it until we took a long trip away from the normal routines of home. That allowed me to truly relax and since then, I’ve enjoyed ER even more than before.
6 2 and even, over and OUT!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

6 2 and even, over and OUT!

The Glide Path is finished! No more OMY, or OMM.

Though on the payroll through today, work ended on Tuesday for me.

Things worked out better than I planned. I am so fortunate. Not just for my career, but seeing all of the options I no have that I can pick and choose form. Though of course the number one option now is "relax, take it easy, enjoy the moments".

Now to enjoy retirement, however long it lasts.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #53

Quote:

Things worked out better than I planned. I am so fortunate. Not just for my career, but seeing all of the options I no have that I can pick and choose form. Though of course the number one option now is "relax, take it easy, enjoy the moments".

Congratulations![emoji322] Hope you have a healthy and fulfilling retirement!!
Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations![emoji322][emoji898][emoji323][emoji324]
Welcome to the club!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wow! Congrats!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:55 PM   #56

Good job, and congrats!

I'm 63 days behind you. Cannot. Wait.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #57

Congrats . Now run with it.