Join Early Retirement Today
OMY "Glide Path" plans
Old 04-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
OMY "Glide Path" plans

With my target retirement at June 2017, I decided to implement an OMY "glide path" to RE (I am already FI ). I enjoy most aspects of my job - in fact parts of it are more like a hobby - and I get along fine with my co-workers, so my OMY is not that stressful. Of course, the best laid plans of mice and men can go astray . I seem to have escaped the MegaCorp January round of layoffs but more may be coming and I take nothing for granted.

The steps I have taken so far:

- Megacorp closed our office location in December. I could have transferred to another Megacorp office, with a 100+ mile round trip commute around the wonderful DC beltway. Or I could work from home. Guess which one I chose? Giving up a little space in the house towards a home office was definitely a better option.

- Moving into more Megacorp projects that emphasize the mentoring/educating/advising of others, instead of direct hands-on traveling/doing/fixing. Of course I do so as much as possible without impacting others. This enables me to train others and improve their skills, and choose the hands-on projects I want to participate on From a "visibility for promotion, raises, and accolades" standpoint it does not work as well as being a full time "hands-on-ready-to-travel-at-the-drop-of-a-hat" person, but at this stage those things do not matter to me.

- Planning my business trips so that DW can come along and transform it into a "business vacation". That makes business travel MUCH more bearable.

- Living on our target "extravagant" retirement budget for the year. We have done this several times over the last 5 years but only two or three months of of the year. We have given ourselves a generous budget that FIRECALC gives a 100% success rate over 40 years.

- Using some of the gap between our current budget and retirement budget, for large, hopefully one time expenses that we want to deal with before we retire (long term home renovation projects, final year of college expenses for the last kid, maybe a third car, etc).

So far the results have been very good:
- I have not impacted my Megacorp co-workers, and in fact have gotten recognition for a couple of technical mentoring projects already this year.

-While I do feel a little more isolated from my former office workers (the vast majority of which also chose to work from home), we are improving our efforts to reduce that.

- Working from home full time gives me much more flexibility, and I have actually lost weight (less snacks temptation and easier to get out to the gym or walk around the neighborhood/park at any time).

- I have been able to take DW on the only 2 business trips I have so far far this year. She enjoys it, and has no problem keeping herself busy while I work. Every evening becomes a "date night", and one of the trips was extended into a real vacation.

The plan is not perfect, but I are having fun seeing how close I can follow it. Of course, Megacorp can lay me off tomorrow and all this goes at the window, but having established FI already that would not be the worst thing in the world . Any other thoughts or ideas on what I should be doing during this "glide path" time are welcome.

Current target FIRE date: June 2017 or +50K to the portfolio, whichever comes first
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm in a similar situation, my target retirement date was back at YE 2012 and I've been OMYing since then with no defined target (just "soon"). We also have large rounds of layoffs coming up this year related to merger integration that could mean a nice parting gift. I moved to my retirement destination a few hundred miles away and decided against the home office. Instead I got a cube in a nearby satellite office at a very scenic location.

The plan was for me to do the mentoring and coaching thing as well but that didn't work out, mainly because I'm not the professor type of person. Instead I've stepped out of the lab to handle customer technical issues mostly on older products. This work turned out to be a lot more interesting than I expected and results have been remarkably good, I'm almost regretting having spent my last several years holed up in the lab just keeping up with many others when I have wide open playing field and strong demand here.

One of the reasons I can't work from home is that I'm a compulsive eater who can't leave a refrigerator alone for any length of time. Unfortunately this satellite office is closed on weekends so I'm gorging then, but at least it's only two days a week.

Anyway with respect to your question, my attitude is that "should be doing" stuff doesn't matter any more, we've earned the right to do what we want, so my only advice would be to have as much fun as you can with it.

dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
I am also on my one and only OMY path to Mar 2017. My job is not changing for the year like yours, just keeping on as it has been. I like it OK most of the time, but am FI and ready to wrap it up.
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir
DrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
I'd milk that cow til she runs dry. Even if your OMY date passes and the BS bucket still ain't half full.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ohio INTJ ENG ER Hopeful
Al in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
OMY "Glide Path" plans
Old 04-09-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
OMY "Glide Path" plans

I am facing a similar challenge. The project I've been working on for the last 2 years is winding down. My boss and I have been asked what do you want to do next? I met with the well regarded head technology guy about two weeks ago. It appears my options will be as follows:

1) I can join a some what disfunctional small group of developers specialized in data mining. I made it clear that Id like the lead role. The work load is unbalanced one newly promoted guy is doing all the heavy lifting. They crew there has excellent knowledge of the technical infrastructure but gets bad PR because of an uneven product delivery. Some attitude adjustment is in order.
- Managing people is always difficult particularly when one is vulgar and immature
+ I know the clients for many years and we enjoy a great rapport.
+ I could cherry pick the projects I want to work on.

2) I can work for a former colleague - a great guy he's offered a role twice now. He is located in another city. I made it clear I really can't/have no desire to travel.
+ I think I can work from home a couple of days a week
+ work autonomously no B.S.
- I suspect projects will be more complex and challenging

My new knee works well but when I sit for any length of time I stiffen up. I am certain being home I'd get more consistent exercise.

The head technology guy scheduled a 'follow up' for Monday - my spy tells me I'll be happy with the options I'll be offered.

Working from home 2 days a week would put me on a great glide path for retirement.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I am facing a similar challenge...
Your options look great. Personally I would ean towards option #2 primarily due to the people management issue in option #1. Been there, done that, fortunately recovered. Although, if your skin is thick enough and you really don't care about challenging the vulgar/immature one - after all, what can they do you at this point - option 1 would work.

As for you knee stiffening when sitting down, have you considered a standing desk? I made a "cheap but functional" one just by putting an IKEA Lack table on my desk (I got the idea from a youtube video), and that gives me flexibility to stand/sit as needed. I'm finding certain work such as programming or administering systems I do better when standing.
Current target FIRE date: June 2017 or +50K to the portfolio, whichever comes first
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
Whether or not your employer knows that you plan on leaving makes a big difference in the glide path. I knew for a long time that I'd be leaving within a year or two, but I told nobody until I gave my notice 30 days before I retired. So the j*b became a balancing act between staying somewhat engaged and keeping my commitments, but not getting involved in anything that was too visible or too stressful (i.e., the kinds of things that someone who wanted to move up on the corporate ladder would get involved in). I have a relative who is in a similar situation right now and is walking the same fine line. It certainly leads to some awkward moments in the office.

The upside of disengaging in the workplace during the last couple of years is that I naturally became more and more engaged in my life outside of w*rk, so I had no problem having things to do or people to do them with once I pulled the plug.

Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote