Join Early Retirement Today

OMY - With Meaning ...
Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

OMY - With Meaning ...

I've always had this interesting thought about highly paid athletes that are financially independent and retire early from their careers: why don't they work "one more year" and donate all of the money they earn their last season to charity? Wouldn't that be a magnanimous gesture? Wouldn't every fan and city they visited be excited by what the are doing?

Then I was thinking - shouldn't I do the same thing? I'm a (relatively) high paid employee for Megacorp and my dear wife and I are financially independent at 48. Rather than retire early - how about working the next year and build a charitable nest egg to then give away in early retirement? (Retire at 50).

We already give money to charity each year, so this would be an "extra" and give our early retirement a purpose - to give away the OMY treasure. Anyone else thought of thought of this? Anyone else doing it?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting idea. The same could be done in terms of saving an angel investor fund to support young entrepreneurs.

G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not giving it all away, but in these last OMY years, we're giving a large percentage to our donor advised fund which we'll be able to direct out over the upcoming years.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

What a great idea! I don't think I could stand to stay on any longer than I have to. We will probably be kind of tight at the beginning of ER but I anticipate having more than we need on the far end and I look forward to creating a charitable trust down the line.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity offers a Giving Fund you can put $$ into and designate where the money gets donated later. It's a tax deductible irrevocable trust.
OMY - With Meaning ...
Old 02-05-2015, 02:33 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

OMY - With Meaning ...

Adding up my US Federal tax bill over the years, and considering that I don't live in the US only carry the blue passport - I feel that in fact I have made a lifetime of charitable contributions. Certainly I don't need to donate the earnings from OMY to feel good about myself.

The recent addition of a 3.8% ACA tax on investment income - so that I can work in a third world country to exceed the ACA threshold and then have the pleasure to subsidize health care benefits for someone else - just reinforces my personal opposition to wealth distribution schemes.

So I am going to have to say NO to OMY beyond what I've already committed to doing (JAN 2016) and NO to donating that year of my life to charity.

wingfooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:38 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Myself and my wife and my favorite charity!
I plan on working right up to the point that we are FI, and then we will RE and I will never think about OMY or work ever again (honey-do's don't count!).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:58 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
I've always had this interesting thought about highly paid athletes that are financially independent and retire early from their careers: why don't they work "one more year" and donate all of the money they earn their last season to charity? Wouldn't that be a magnanimous gesture? Wouldn't every fan and city they visited be excited by what the are doing?............
I'm not a sports fan but I would think that the possibility of further injury would make some athletes want to get out as soon as they are FI. Also some athletes do a lot of charity work while active in their sport.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post
Adding up my US Federal tax bill over the years, and considering that I don't live in the US only carry the blue passport - I feel that in fact I have made a lifetime of charitable contributions. Certainly I don't need to donate the earnings from OMY to feel good about myself.
I won't get too deep into politics, but I don't blame you. I am saddened that our governments are directing charity, and many people feel like you do. I do too to some degree and fear tax code will get even more antagonistic to personal charity. Oh well.

Still isn't stopping me. I'm not doing it out of guilt. DW is still working anyway to a retirement goal. Feels good and gives us some purpose in life outside of our own little world.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #10
Administrator

The thread topic, working OMY and donating the income, is interesting. so let's try to stay on topic.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I'm not a sports fan but I would think that the possibility of further injury would make some athletes want to get out as soon as they are FI. Also some athletes do a lot of charity work while active in their sport.

Plus very few athletes are provided the opportunity to work that extra year. Most in fact get retired several years before they want to. Plus the "name" athletes face the problem of having their peak maximum contract ending with declining skills. They are not willing to play for a significant pay cut while teams in the salary cap era are not willing to pay high dollar for an athlete in decline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #12

I've done two more years to add cushion to my numbers. It has been extremely difficult emotionally to "hang in there". While the theory of working OMY to donate money sounds good on paper, the thought of staying in my career makes me .

One of the reasons I want to ER is so I can donate more of my time and talents, doing things that I find emotionally fulfilling.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

OMY for charity sounds nice, but wouldn't it make more sense to ensure that a portion of your estate goes to charity? Or start donating heavily once you're no longer spending money to travel? That way, you don't need to spend OMY at w*rk. The point of FIRE is to enjoy your time - which is a finite resource.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfooted View Post

The recent addition of a 3.8% ACA tax on investment income - so that I can work in a third world country to exceed the ACA threshold and then have the pleasure to subsidize health care benefits for someone else - just reinforces my personal opposition to wealth distribution schemes.

So I am going to have to say NO to OMY beyond what I've already committed to doing (JAN 2016) and NO to donating that year of my life to charity.
I agree, forced gov't wealth redistribution schemes only get me PO'd.

I give my charity money direct to who I want. I also will not work any longer than I am planning, enjoy life while I am alive. Then any leftover can be settled out of estate, which includes some provisions for charity.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Many, many pro athletes don't seem to be FI, or at least able to LBYM.

The NFL players: Dan Marino and 78 Percent of NFL Players Are Bankrupt or Broke | GOBankingRates
Quote:
According to Sports Illustrated, approximately two years after retirement, the percent of NFL players bankrupt or financially stressed is a whopping 78 percent. This means more than three-fourths of players either can’t manage their money, or employ people who choose not to manage their money well.
The NBA isn't a lot better: Personal finances of professional American athletes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally the statement "60% of NBA players go bankrupt within five years after leaving their sport" was released by a representative of the NBA Players' Association in 2008, although according to another person it remains unclear if that number is accurate in any way.
I'll let you google other sports.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I agree, forced gov't wealth redistribution schemes only get me PO'd.

I give my charity money direct to who I want. I also will not work any longer than I am planning, enjoy life while I am alive. Then any leftover can be settled out of estate, which includes some provisions for charity.
One could say that the Government has plenty of my money with which to help out the "less fortunate". I'm constantly hearing from Government-types that they know how to spend my money better than I do, but if people who need help aren't being helped, then it's clear that they don't.

Doesn't matter to me as long as they don't raise my taxes with the sob story that more money is needed to help the less fortunate (sorry for diverting slightly into politics).
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
Many, many pro athletes don't seem to be FI, or at least able to LBYM.

The NFL players: Dan Marino and 78 Percent of NFL Players Are Bankrupt or Broke | GOBankingRates
The NBA isn't a lot better: Personal finances of professional American athletes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'll let you google other sports.
Let's not forget all the people who have their hands out when a son, daughter, cousin, friend, etc... lands a multi-million dollar contract.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The thread topic, working OMY and donating the income, is interesting. so let's try to stay on topic.
Discussions about taxation, government spending, redistribution, etc, often end poorly and lead to premature thread closure, especially when they are unrelated to the thread topic. Let's stay on topic, folks.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
OMY for charity sounds nice, but wouldn't it make more sense to ensure that a portion of your estate goes to charity? Or start donating heavily once you're no longer spending money to travel?
I hope to do all of the above, including donating now during OMY.

Granted, I'm not giving all of my OMY away to charity. Just significant amounts (over 20%). Still enjoying some of the fruits of OMY.

And here's something else I'm doing. Instead of donating cash, I'm donating our most heavily appreciated liquid assets. Get the deduction now, and a chance at less income later when we need to live off it.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought I would post a quick update on this idea. We've now saved 8 straight monthly paychecks. Enough to buy a very nice exotic sports car. We have 4 months to go before the savings fund gets topped off with our annual bonus in early March. Should be just 3 weeks before my final day at work. Then we can start the fun of giving it all away!