Join Early Retirement Today

On the day you retired...
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On the day you retired...

What was your cash position on the day you retired?

2 years expenses in cash?
4 years?
same allocation as it was the day before you retired?

As you progressed through retirement, did you lower or raise the cash position as a multiple of expenses?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't have any cash same as the day before retirement. My final paycheck went to income taxes and 401K ROTH so was zero exactly since I did my own check.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post

2 years expenses in cash?
4 years?
same allocation as it was the day before you retired?

As you progressed through retirement, did you lower or raise the cash position as a multiple of expenses?
On the day I retired in 2009, I had 4.9 years' expenses in cash (using my 2010 spending as the definition of a year's expenses). It was the same as the day before I retired because it took months for my "retirement goodies" (pay for unused vacation time and so on) to show up.

I lowered my cash position a little as I progressed through retirement, although I right now I happen to have 5.5 years' expenses in cash (using my 2013 spending as the definition of a year's expenses). I am thinking of possibly moving to a nicer house if I ever see one I like better than the one I have. So, I like having a lot of cash just in case I need to pounce on a house.

I don't think this much cash is necessary, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I made sure to have enough in my wallet to buy my [ex]coworkers some beer at the local sports bar that afternoon.

Quote:
FWIW. I've never been one to pay the least bit of attention to rules of thumb for having available cash. And it always seemed to me, that if I were to bury anything in the back yard with the expectation it would hold value, cash isn't going to work very well for that. Not having a paycheck to rely on for income has given me some pause, but now that we are getting our retirement income streams set up and flowing I really don't anticipate doing things much differently.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:05 PM   #5

I had probably 3-4 years. I also had/have another 4-5 years in ibonds which some people think of as cash.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmm, My DH is getting ready to take the plunge. I was thinking of 2 years worth of expenses as just in case.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had no cash the day I retired. I don't believe in cash unless it return 5% or more.

Several studies have shown that one shouldn't have any cash when they retire because it is a drag on portfolio return. Cash is simply a mental crutch that some folks use. But if you are one of those folks, then by all means have some cash, but it will cost you.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Well when I retired they gave us our regular salary for a year,plus my pension started
the next day, so actually had more money coming in than if I was working,at least for
one year. Bridged me until I could collect SS.
Old Mike
Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #9

On the day I retired, I had just faxed 10 pages of instructions to my 401k/ESOP plan administrator to tell them how to liquidate my holdings. I was using NUA to liquidate the company stock, so a condition for doing that was to empty out the rest of my holdings in the plan. I did a direct rollover of most of the non-company-stock holdings into an IRA while cashing out the small after-tax contributions I had in the plan. I also received my last paycheck which included some unused vacation time I did not know I even had.

A few days later, I had a lot of cash in my bank account ready to be invested in the big bond fund which has been generating monthly dividends to pay my bills ever since. A week later, after I received the trustee-to-trustee rollover check from the admin, I visited my Fidelity office to invest the whole shebang. But for a few days I had about 14 years of expenses in cash sitting in the bank. So, that's my answer - 14 years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #10

On the day I retired, we probably had less than 6 months living expenses in the bank. But a month later we had 3+ years because I got my final paycheck (including unused vacation pay) and my deferred compensation payout (which unfortunately I had to take immediately as a lump sum because I was younger than 62).
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not retired yet, but plan on it in the next year. I don't plan on having cash in the traditional sense. ($$ in checking, savings or CD) There will be a pension for the basics and I will have a couple of years equivelent in I-bonds that I could cash if needed.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #12

1.5 years of cash at retirement, 6 years of stable value.

Today I'm at about 2 years of cash, but I've been down to less than a year's worth. A recent rebalance pushed me back up.

Same asset allocation targets before and after retirement.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #13

I retired in June and made sure I had cash enough to cover through the end of this year, and next year. So 1.5 years of the withdrawal amount. It's not my entire spending budget - since we have rental income and DH gets SS... but it's still a chunk.

I have a small inherited IRA and will take an RMD before the end of the year - rather than rolling that to the taxable account and reinvesting, I plan on setting that aside for some planned home improvements.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Several studies have shown that one shouldn't have any cash when they retire because it is a drag on portfolio return.
Couldn't one take this further and say everyone's portfolio should be 100% small cap stocks since they return more over time? Anything would be a drag on portfolio.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I had no cash the day I retired. I don't believe in cash unless it return 5% or more.

Several studies have shown that one shouldn't have any cash when they retire because it is a drag on portfolio return. Cash is simply a mental crutch that some folks use. But if you are one of those folks, then by all means have some cash, but it will cost you.
Pretty much like this. I'm sure that I had some cash in some accounts as dividends came in or that just hadn't been allocated yet but it wasn't purposeful and I didn't feel then need to have a pile of money lying around doing nothing.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At the time I retired we had a little less than a year's worth of expenses in cash. I later decided to change my AA from 60/40/0 to 60/34/6 with the 6 representing about 2 years of withdrawals. In that first year I took advantage of 0% capital gains rate and built up our cash position.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #17

When I read the original posters questions, I thought cash was what you had in your checking account(s). As I read though some of the responses I see some folks consider other things as cash. ibonds, CD's, other.

To me cash is what I have in my checking accounts..... To support my initial planned retirement lifestyle, I started off with an estimated 4 to 5 years of cash. I've only been retired a few years now and I have not adjusted my AA yet to maintain that. As it is turning out in my case, I'll probably keep a years worth of cash in my checking accounts.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #18

When I retired almost half my portfolio was in cash and another big chunk was in auction rate muni funds. Now we keep the current year budget in cash, and in short / med term munis one year of budget together with large planned expenses and committed funds.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Started at age 51 (2009) with about 10 years cash. Bought 3 rental properties (2010-2012) and have been living off the cash and rental income.

Today, 5 years later, I have 6 years cash (lower yearly cash needs due to rental income).

By the time I'm 62 (start Social Security), I expect to have about 1 year cash.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #20

probably a couple of weeks worth of spending