On the fringe of ER, but not sure

I know alot of people on this board are very conservative, but I would say that assuming only a 4% return over 50 years is more than just a bit pessimistic.

4% annual expected return is more than just a bit pessimistic? Seriously, I thought it might be high. What rate are you using in your planning, if you don't mind sharing?

4% annual expected return is more than just a bit pessimistic? Seriously, I thought it might be high. What rate are you using in your planning, if you don't mind sharing?
7% is conservative. Inflation itself is almost 4%. If the rate of return were 4%, that is the same as 0% inflation adjusted return.

Just about any time in history (other than right now) you could put 100% of your money in CDs and beat 4%.

By all accounts this has been a miserable decade for the stock market. The SP500 has an avg return of -1.09% over the past 10 years which is putrid. I believe its only the 2nd decade in which returns were negative. Here is the AA I plan to use when I retire in a few years:

Pimco Total Return...45%
Fidelity Contrafund...15%
Fidelity Low Priced Stock...10%
Vanguard Small Cap Growth...10%
Vanguard REIT fund....10%
MS Emerging Markets...5%
T.Rowe Price EM bond fund....5%

(Alot of my money is in my 457b plan in which choices are not bad at all, but limited)

This portfolio has an avg return of 7.1% over the past 10 years. Based on how bad the market has been, I have no reason to believe I wont get more than 7% over the long term. Im using 6.5% in my conservative calculation and 8% in my "keep my finger crossed" calculations.

Utrecht, thanks so much this explanation. Honestly, it's only been in the last 10 yrs or so that we've been seriously thinking about retiring and we've been disappointed with the returns we've received. Thanks again for your post.

I really appreciate everyones help.

After a week of getting a little more detailed with my expenses, I have a nice comfortable detailed budget of $110,000 before taxes.

My wife and I will have an income of $10,000 after taxes from her job, along with full family health and dental.

Knowing that, I need my investments to produce $100k of income before taxes.

Anymore thoughts on this senario?

TOP DAWG

In my planning, I'm using 4% expected return, and afraid that's too high .... Would love to know what the others on the board are using for their expected rate of return.

Before the crash of 2008/2009, I was using 5% expected return.

After the crash, I'm still using an expected return of 5%. I actually think my projection is more conservative now than it was before (because before I was factoring in a major crash, and wow we sure had one!).

But I'm sticking with 5% because ... well, I'm a natural pessimist. :greetings10:

My thoughts after reading your scenario:

First thought: wow! I'd definitely quit my j*b if I had that much money, unless I really enjoyed my work. Even if only to step back, evaluate my life goals, and decide what my next project would be. I definitely wouldn't be keeping my nose to the grindstone with those assets.

Second thought: wow! I'd never need to spend that much to live happily ever after. Guess I really have a low-maintenance life ...

Third thought: I have no idea what the right answer is, but my gut tells me that given your high living expenses, you need to keep working.

This is a lot more reasonable. Guessing your taxes to be around $15-20k on your investment dividends and interest that puts you at 115-120k. Also you need to figure out your investment expenses (Expense Ratio) on your entire portfolio. If this is fairly low (< .40%) you should be ok. If you are paying someone 1-1.5% to manage your accounts then you might need to rethink even the 100k. So total expenses are still in the 130k range which is still right at he 4% range for withdrawals. I would just keep a close eye on the portfolio and if it starts looking shaky later you have to be ready to make adjustments. Make sure you read a couple good asset allocation books.

After a week of getting a little more detailed with my expenses, I have a nice comfortable detailed budget of $110,000 before taxes.

My wife and I will have an income of $10,000 after taxes from her job, along with full family health and dental.

TOP DAWG

Once again, test your taxes with TurboTax with the best estimates you can. I can't imagine that you would pay more than $10K in taxes if that. Remember that taxable income is NOT the same as adjusted gross income (AGI) and that you get a break on qualified dividends and long-term cap gains. Furthermore, return of capital is tax-free.

And don't forget that if you need more tax-sheltered space, your wife could try to contribute all her income to a deductible retirement account (401(k), IRA, SEP-IRA, etc).

TOP DAWG

My recommendation would be to take no more than $96,000 from your portfolio, adjusted for inflation for the first 3 years, after which your SWR should be reaccessed for a possible increase. That SWR plus the 10K from your wife would give you $106,000 and would have to include all your taxes. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom