Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

One Fund VTI Portfolio
Old 01-31-2015, 05:46 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

One Fund VTI Portfolio

My target AA is 55/45. My "bond/fixed asset allocation is some 400k in a future (4 years) DB Pension Plan that is very stable. I am not worried it won't be around when the time comes to either take the montly annunity or the lump sum. I am considering putting my entire stox allocation in the Vanguard Total Stox Market ETF. That along with 3-4 years cash to avoid selling stox in a bear market. Your thoughts?
macav933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have VTI and it is a great total US market. That means you have your assets distributed based on market capitalization. Many people that index supplement this with small caps, REITs and some foreign exposure. This creates a broader portfolio.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If you can stand the volatility and the pension pays enough for living expenses, I'd say your plan is sound. I'd probably chose the Total World fund for even better diversification but who knows.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:32 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2009 View Post
If you can stand the volatility and the pension pays enough for living expenses, I'd say your plan is sound. I'd probably chose the Total World fund for even better diversification but who knows.
+1 Note, however that Vanguard will not send you a birthday card.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just moved away from my FA that charged 1 point. Trying to simplify and manage costs. Between pensions and SS 85% of my target income in retirement will be covered leaving a 2.5% WR from the remaining portfolio.
macav933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

With a 2.5% WR you should do fine. Good move dropping your advisor. No need for anyone to siphon off 1% of your portfolio year in year out unless of course they can do better than your chosen index. Highly doubtful.
frank2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd also prefer Total World (VT). That's one of the benchmarks I use, and I'd consider it if I wanted to simplify.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:06 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I have VTI and it is a great total US market. That means you have your assets distributed based on market capitalization. Many people that index supplement this with small caps, REITs and some foreign exposure. This creates a broader portfolio.
+1 , I highly recommend VTI as at least part of a core set of holdings.

I have it plus a bunch of other stuff that I'm slowly going to cull, while I increase my VTI and foreign exposure.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

vti is to close to just an s&p 500 fund to be considerd a total market investment. even in the best of times for mid caps and small caps it sees 1% or less in difference.

if i really wanted good diversified market coverage i would never use vti alone.

i would couple it with an extended market fund and season to taste.

historically every time we have a time frame like 2014 where the s&p 500 gets all the attention it has taken at least 5 years of underperformance for the s&p 500 to ring out the excess.

my bet this year and i will state it for the official record here will be an out performing year for the mid-caps which have much better valuations now with lower risk than the small caps. i would consider vti and a mid cap index ..

i would tweak the the mid-cap index market portion up hiigher than the vti portion for now.
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Not quite as simple as VT, but allows a bit more control over the large/small and US/foreign breakdown. Use these 4 in whatever percentages you prefer:

VTI (essentially US large)
VXF (US small)
VXUS (foreign large, includes some emerging)
VSS (foreign small)

Larry
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote