Join Early Retirement Today

One in four US employees expect to work past age 70
Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One in four US employees expect to work past age 70

"Despite an improvement in their financial situation and retirement confidence, roughly one in four U.S. employees believe they won’t be able to retire until after age 70, if at all, according to a survey by Willis Towers Watson (NASDAQ: WLTW), a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company. Additionally, nearly one-third (32%) anticipate retiring later than previously planned."

https://www.willistowerswatson.com/e...-beyond-age-70
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
"Despite an improvement in their financial situation and retirement confidence, roughly one in four U.S. employees believe they won’t be able to retire until after age 70, if at all, according to a survey by Willis Towers Watson (NASDAQ: WLTW), a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company. Additionally, nearly one-third (32%) anticipate retiring later than previously planned."
.........and every one else is here on this forum!
Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

In related news, with an improvement in their financial situation and retirement confidence, roughly three in four U.S. employees believe they will be able to retire before age 70, according to a survey by Willis Towers Watson (NASDAQ: WLTW), a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company. Additionally, over two thirds (68%) anticipate retiring as previously planned or earlier.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe they should live in a Toyota 4Runner and blog their way to retirement. Some 30s something already is doing that.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Maybe they should live in a Toyota 4Runner and blog their way to retirement. Some 30s something already is doing that.

RV's and campers are pretty cheap these days for those who wish to live a bit on the edge:

GMC Other GMC | eBay
Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yes, bad news is good and good news is bad. I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
In related news, with an improvement in their financial situation and retirement confidence, roughly three in four U.S. employees believe they will be able to retire before age 70, according to a survey by Willis Towers Watson (NASDAQ: WLTW), a leading global advisory, broking and solutions company. Additionally, over two thirds (68%) anticipate retiring as previously planned or earlier.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
RV's and campers are pretty cheap these days for those who wish to live a bit on the edge:

GMC Other GMC | eBay
I was looking to buy one but never saw one that cheap. Does it actually work, I wonder? Even just renting for a day would cost $300 from my research. At that rate, I check into a hotel.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
You beat me to it!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
"roughly one in four U.S. employees believe they won’t be able to retire until after age 70, if at all
In the year 2000 I thought I'd be lucky if I could retire by age 90.

I retired in 2009 at age 61.

I think many people (particularly late planners like me) are pessimistic about when they will retire. This is part of how we get motivated to shift LBYM and retirement planning into high gear and hit it with all we've got.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Maybe we should put the band back together, gather up some groupies, and hit the road!
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When I retired everyone at the Co was shocked. I guess nobody ever retired as young as I. And I wasn't that young. I guess not many people think about it.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #12
gone traveling

Wait until they get fired or get sick. Then they will change their plans
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #13
gone traveling

The BAND ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1464960494.385381.jpg
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:44 AM   #14

Does it change anything if you say "75% of all Americans expect to be retired by age 70"

Doesn't sound so bad t me given that there is some percentage that will never retire, even if the could.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #15
Confused about dryer sheets

I believe the debt level most people carry is what makes them feel they need to work until 70. I read some figures the other day....it is truly astounding.
CoAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

If you never figured out how to live within your means and save with a regular paycheck, it probably seems impossible to survive on anything less than 100% of your income. OTOH those that practice LBYM can match or exceed their needs without W2 income. A guy from my former job called me to ask how I could do it and he was pleasantly surprised to learn that FICA and Medicare taxes would not apply to his retirement income.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Wait until they get fired or get sick. Then they will change their plans
+1
The "one in four" are in for a rude awakening if you look at the (abysmal) statistics. Many won't make it to their sixties, let alone "after 70". This is why Scott Burns refers to one's fifties as the "fifties minefield", during which the high likelihood of a job loss or serious health condition obliterates the best laid plans.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #18

Considering 2 in 4 people have below average intelligence, not bad.

dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
If you never figured out how to live within your means and save with a regular paycheck, it probably seems impossible to survive on anything less than 100% of your income. OTOH those that practice LBYM can match or exceed their needs without W2 income. A guy from my former job called me to ask how I could do it and he was pleasantly surprised to learn that FICA and Medicare taxes would not apply to his retirement income.

Sometimes you do. I think a lot has to do with the type of personality one has.
When my mega Corp had a huge layoff May of 2014 a number of good friends where effected, a lot of them are doing GREAT. What they actually found was a lot of their living paycheck to paycheck was caught up in unnecessaries.
Now all got great severance packages but I am really Wowed by how many simplified their lives and are hanging in there.
One guy John downsized and is actually starting a non profit to help vets with ptsd. His son suffers from it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post

Doesn't sound so bad t me given that there is some percentage that will never retire, even if the could.
True - my stepmom fits in this category. She's a PhD nurse educator. She was forced to retire (age limits at the university) 20 years ago. So she started teaching for a for profit university. When she stopped driving due to neuropathy she tried to retire again - but the university worked to find her a transportation service. Then they rolled out a whole new computer interface for the grade entry/etc... and she got frustrated learning the new system... so she retired again.... then they talked her into taking a few more courses...

She's 89 and still teaching nursing statistics online part time. (She learned the new system.) She's also still working as a graduate adviser, helping candidates with their thesis and dissertation preparation. She'll never retire and since there is a severe shortage of nursing instructors, she won't need to.