Join Early Retirement Today

One in three not really REALLY retired ...
Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
gone traveling

One in three not really REALLY retired ...

I retired. Now I'm ready to go back to work: Poll Retirees go back to work?

One in three people retired say they would return to work if the job market improved .... Not talking part time Walmart greeter ...but really getting back to the grindstone ...

Is this really just a case of a bunch of boomers generation having been laid off during the recession and being woefully ill prepared for retirement (financially )and really needing to go back to work - but too embarrassed to admit they were never really truly retired? "I'll just tell the neighbors that I retired at 54 rather than admit out of work for 3+ years" ?

It will be interesting to measure the upcoming droves and droves of people who SHOULD be retired or retiring .... But can't. And so stay in the work force ...

Interesting stuff - what are the longer term implications to the economy ? When many youth are unemployed they riot. What happens when many pre-seniors are unemployed? They vote .... ? They

Just curious of opinions.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many of the guys I worked with who (voluntarily) retired in their mid 50's (and most of us were surprised they were financially prepared), were back at work full time within a year or two. Guess they weren't prepared or didn't know they weren't. I also know two Midwestern couples who retired, sold their homes and bought new homes in SC - only to move right back within a few years citing "the HEAT" and missing family/grand kids. Talk about wasting a lot on real estate, moving, replacement costs.

Of course I know others who stayed retired as well.

And you only know if your financial plan was successful at the end (or during s serious downturn), not within the first 10 years or so...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As I am learning and thinking about, still five years from my target date for FI (and maybe ER), there's more to retirement planning than "do I have enough money?"
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
What happens when many pre-seniors are unemployed? They vote .... ? They
They should turn to life of crime and become politicians (become vote getters).

In 2007, I was confident that I was FI and was looking to get laid off. The ensuing 2008-09 recession proved I wasn't ready to retire, emotionally and financially. I am just glad I was not laid off during that time.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #5

I retired 8 months ago. All I can say is, "Hell No, I Won't Go".
Old 08-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #6

Thank goodness this wasn't the thread subject I thought it was going to be by the title. I thought it was going to be another thread that says:
- You're not retired if your spouse still works.
- You're not retired if you have kids at home.
- You're not retired if you have *any* income from a blog.
- You're not retired if you're a landlord (because that's work.)

I know some folks who were laid off about 2 years ago who, after about 6 months of not finding work, called themselves retired. They're now working or looking for work.

I also know a few more folks who retired youngish (less than 62) who are still retired.

My anecdotal data for sub-62 retirees that I know in real life - about the same as the article - 1/3 weren't really retired - just waiting out a down market.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a lake house in South Carolina. The area is full of northerners that retired south. I have met several that went back to work, even though they had no intention of doing so when they retired. They have experience in specialized areas. The difference is that they can set their own hours, work from home with a little occasional travel. What I hear most is "they are paying me crazy$$$. I would be an idiot to pass up the easy money"
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

The best hour of my week is 530-630am on Monday morning, when the people drive by on their way to work while I'm having a leisurely cup of coffee.....and watching out the window while in my robe!

The second best hour(s).....Sunday afternoon/evening when my stomach is NOT in knots anticipating Monday morning....60 minutes ticking clock don't scare me now!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

The best hour of my week is 530-630am on Monday morning, when the people drive by on their way to work while I'm having a leisurely cup of coffee.....and watching out the window while in my robe!

The second best hour(s).....Sunday afternoon/evening when my stomach is NOT in knots anticipating Monday morning....60 minutes ticking clock don't scare me now!
Amen, brother!
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I would not work for one more day, for all the tea in China. I love being retired, I can afford it, and I can't think of anything I'd rather do.

That said, one or more other retirees that I know would take the right job immediately if it was offered, to pad their retirement income. (This would be a job appropriate to career and experience.) So far I don't know any that are willing to take a lesser job, though, like Wal-Mart greeter or fast food.

I don't know about other seniors, but my days of trying to change the world are about 50 years behind me. My generation's efforts didn't work then, and I doubt anything similar would work now. If I needed to pad my retirement income, but couldn't find work, then I'd probably be interested in exploring ways to drastically lower my living costs in retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
I'm still w*rking, but for some reason, that's one of my favorite hours of the week, too. And not just Monday, but M-F. I tend to wake up at 5:30 every morning, whether I need to or not, but just relax, have some coffee, and watch tv. It just seems like a relaxing, carefree time of the morning. "Petticoat Junction", of all things, comes on MeTV at 6 in the morning, and for some reason, I find it relaxing and cathartic to watch.

Or, subconsciously, maybe I want to be the Hooterville dog!

But then, once 6:30 rolls around, it's time to start getting serious about getting ready for w*rk, and it brings me back to reality.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #12

Quote:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

I would not get out of bed to pee at that ungodly hour!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
And not just Monday, but M-F. I tend to wake up at 5:30 every morning, whether I need to or not, but just relax, have some coffee, and watch tv.
That's a flat lie. There is nothing to watch on TV at that hour, M-F.

It'd be a sad day in hell if I am forced to go back to work after I am retired. I will keep a hari-kiri sword nearby rather than un-retire.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I would not get out of bed to pee at that ungodly hour!
Me either, if I need to go at 5:30, I force myself to wait until 6:30.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #15

When I retire, I'm NOT going back to work!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #16

I was thinking I might go back to work some kind of part-time gig like either contracting myself out in my field (there are opportunities) or something easy like Walmart greeter, Lowe's etc. That was because I wasn't 100& sure I had enough quarters to qualify for SS. Most of my career was in a position where I wasn't paying into SS and I'll be heavily affected by the WEP. However, a phone call today confirmed that I do indeed have the full 40 SS quarters, which I earned during high school and during my active duty military time. So......don't see myself going back to work! My SS will only amount to maybe $250 per month at 62 due to the WEP, but that's $3000 a year that I can use for something, I'm sure. No workee for me.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know about other seniors, but my days of trying to change the world are about 50 years behind me. My generation's efforts didn't work then, and I doubt anything similar would work now. If I needed to pad my retirement income, but couldn't find work, then I'd probably be interested in exploring ways to drastically lower my living costs in retirement.
I was fortunate enough to effect some important changes on a more limited and personal level for a number of students who have gone on to pass that torch. That is really the only level of change that I believe anyone can do.

I have never heard or read about any individual who has had a lasting effect on a world-wide level so I don't have any confidence it is even possible. History pretty much proves this out.

Like any other species, we are an experiment.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #18

Since my entire job centers around relationships with customers, once I quit it's all over. No way I would want to start over with a new employer. There is no way at this stage of the game I could make half what I do today with a minimal amount of effort.
This is probably the greatest reason why I'm stuck in OMY syndrome. The FI part was much more direct and absolute than the RE part of FIRE for me. Hopefully I'm making progress and will be reasonably confident enough to take the leap by early '16.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
They have experience in specialized areas. The difference is that they can set their own hours, work from home with a little occasional travel. What I hear most is "they are paying me crazy$$$. I would be an idiot to pass up the easy money"
That's somewhat my problem that has led to my OMY life. I can't believe how much I get paid for doing very little, with lots of vacation time, flexible hours and no stress. My only problems are I have to be physically present at work and DW decided after her father finally passed away that we needed to live closer to DD and a handful of grandkids. I now have a nominal 1 hr commute each way. If I could telecommute, I might be lured into part-time after my planned January 2015 retirement.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I'm still w*rking, but for some reason, that's one of my favorite hours of the week, too. And not just Monday, but M-F. I tend to wake up at 5:30 every morning, whether I need to or not, but just relax, have some coffee, and watch tv. It just seems like a relaxing, carefree time of the morning. "Petticoat Junction", of all things, comes on MeTV at 6 in the morning, and for some reason, I find it relaxing and cathartic to watch.

Or, subconsciously, maybe I want to be the Hooterville dog!

But then, once 6:30 rolls around, it's time to start getting serious about getting ready for w*rk, and it brings me back to reality.
Hey, you're on my schedule! 5:30am coffee, sometimes with TV, sometimes with internet surfing, or sitting out on the patio. Sometimes I'll also workout in the morning before work if I know there won't be time for it over lunch. I know what you mean about some of those old shows... Somehow I think it kind of takes me back to a time when things were easier and more simple. For some reason, American Pickers gives me the same feeling of comfort. I find myself watching that show a lot, although it's not on in the morning.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote