Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old Bridge, NJ on company business in the 1970's, early 80's.

Probably changed a lot since then.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in "can't be bothered to fly near it country". Yes, here we could live modestly in ER on 1M. If you asked me 5 years ago, my goal would have been 1.4M. Just ER'd on quite a bit more due to luck with employee option plan and still worry that the sky may fall.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Hopefully there would be some Social Security coming also. To answer your question directly many could make it. However some with higher expectations would feel deprived. It also makes a difference as to what part of the country you reside in.

The optimal stock-bond allocation is debated ad-nauseum, however here is one example:

So if you have a 20-25 year life expectancy at retirement then the optimal allocation (at retirement) is 65-75% stocks
What causes the small inflection point in the graph at 40 years?
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
What causes the small inflection point in the graph at 40 years?
Alan Greenspan made a speech some time ago and burped....
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The go -go 60's stocks plus the 73-74 pratfall. I think you can still tease the numbers out of FireCalc if you play with it.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Why not just broadly allocate and go have a good time.....enjoy life what the heck. A take-off on the coffeehouse investor philosophy. All this gets a little anal after awhile. Why worry about what will happen in 30-40 years when we need to enjoy today and the next 1,2,3,4..... years.Heck you've got a million bucks, you've saved and sacrified like crazy and you're getting gray, old with ulcers trying to pin things down to the last decimal point.
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
...lately my mind has been drifting to other summers in my life. In particular, there was a summer I stayed behind at the town where I went to college in Ohio instead of going back to NYC with my family. <snip> .... What I had at the time that I don't have now is leisure time and a fair amount of freedom. And the time was memorable, since I can still quite clearly recall many of the events of that summer, while now the dreary work days all just seem to drift by in a blur.
Amen to that. That time for me involved a fun little sports car, and the rest of my belongings would just about fit in it. I didn't make a lot of money, but enough to get by and have fun with. No huge bills. No huge worries. No high-stress jobs. The primary focus was having fun, and that rarely involved much money. I've been wanting to recreate that feeling lately, because now that I have the required perspective, I can look back and realize those were some of the most memorable and happy days of my life. Truly happy.

Next year I return to that state of mind, and with nowhere near a million dollars.
Simplygib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferco View Post
Is there anyone who couldn't as of today make it on a 1 million portfolio and Medicare or some type of life time guaranteed health insurance plan.No debt and no mortgage. Assuming age 58 (65 if considering M'care), what would be your asset allocation for the 1 m .

Definite Do. $1mm allocated 42% equities, 60% bonds, 8% cash.
Having no mortgage means a fully paid for house which is also part of the net worth.
And free health insurance for one person age 58 means savings of appx. $400 per month in premiums for 7 years till Medicare kicks in.

So $1mm in securities, home equity should be at least $300k and savings of $33,600 in health insurance is a net worth of $1,333,600.

Per the surveys I have seen by posters thats enough.
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #29

$1 million definitely does it. The median income for a family of four is around $70,000. They've got SS tax, a mortgage payment, and kids, easily adding up to $30,000. The typical 58 year-old couple has all these expenses behind them.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance