Join Early Retirement Today

One more question about SS early or late.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One more question about SS early or late.

HI All

My head may not be working properly today (or most days ) , so Im wondering if someone can please explain this to me?

I read this scenario somewhere on Bogleheads a long while back about taking SS early versus late.

Lets say I’m 62 and have a portfolio valued 1.4M and Im trying to decide whether to take SS now or at 70. Ive used AnyPia to determine that at 62 I would get 23500/yr and 40464/yr at 70.

Heres the example that gets me:

Scenario 1:

I take 8 years of 40464 (what I get at 70) and place it in a separate account, paying 1-2%. (and I know that money is fungible etc.) I used this account to pay myself 40464 a year until SS starts at 70. So about 300k would cover it, maybe a little more. My new portfolio value would be 1.1M.

Then I take 3% (or any number) of the remaining portfolio every year. Thus I get 40464 + 33000 = 73464/year.

Scenario 2:

If, instead I take it at 62, then I get 23500 + 42000 (3% of 1.4M) = 65500.

What accounts for this large difference? Could my SS number from AnyPia be incorrect? Or is it just the 6-8% increase in SS every year, or is there some funny assumptions or math here that is tricking me?

Thanks guys!
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One possibility is that 3% is just your starting withdrawal rate. Most withdrawal plans have you increasing that by inflation. $1.4M is a better base than $1.1M so as you increase your withdrawal with inflation, the scenario 2 gap should close. On the other hand, SS payments are also supposed to increase with inflation.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

OP: If you assume your portfolio returns are 3% real (i.e matches your withdrawal rate), you will have $1.1M remaining in your portfolio in scenario 1 at age 70 and $1.4 M in scenario 2 at age 70.

Obviously, the real results heavily depend on portfolio return rates, inflation (and whether the 1-2% guaranteed returns match or exceed inflation).
fosterscik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
OP: If you assume your portfolio returns are 3% real (i.e matches your withdrawal rate), you will have $1.1M remaining in your portfolio in scenario 1 at age 70 and $1.4 M in scenario 2 at age 70.

Obviously, the real results heavily depend on portfolio return rates, inflation (and whether the 1-2% guaranteed returns match or exceed inflation).

True. The implication being that I could take more than 3% in the case of taking it at 62 and still have the same amount at 70. But then at 70 I will be taking out 16k more/yr if I started at 62 versus 70.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote