Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
He's upfront with his part ownership in the firm. He doesn't use his forum to generate business. I'm sure some people are swayed by his stature and will use their services. I do find it somewhat amusing that a major champion of DIY investing for several decades would get involved with an FA firm.

The commodities fund came in from their "parent," DFA. The firm just markets these specially crafted index funds. That's just part of their responsibilities as franchisees.

I don't intend to let them manage my money. I see nothing different in the approach Scott has taken in his articles. I don't agree with everything he says all of the time but I recommend his archive of Couch Potato articles to any potential converts to DIY investing.
Seriously? Well he left the Dallas Morning News and go independent because of his new association.
I found his company because of one of his articles led me there, so to say he doesn't hawk it is incorrect.
Every year he re-evaluates his results and adds in, "well if you had just added in these funds" of course it's always after the fact.
And have you noticed he always recommends using Vanguard funds? Hmmmmm....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Seriously? Well he left the Dallas Morning News and go independent because of his new association.
:confused: I thought his reason for leaving was the DMN gave him an offer he couldn't refuuse: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ews-22862.html
Old 11-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
:confused: I thought his reason for leaving was the DMN gave him an offer he couldn't refuuse: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ews-22862.html
Art never let the facts interfere with his rants or attacks. That's why he's on my ignore list.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

He was still there when many others left. I'm sure it was all coincidental.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #205

BTW, gotta love the people who claim to have you on ignore, but yet still have to comment about you. So 2b doesn't read me, but he's got a response to my posts. Now that's an enlightened opinion.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #206
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
BTW, gotta love the people who claim to have you on ignore, but yet still have to comment about you. So 2b doesn't read me, but he's got a response to my posts. Now that's an enlightened opinion.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I only read what other people quote from ArtG. I'll sometimes comment on the comment. I don't read anything posted by ArtG unless someone quotes it.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I only read what other people quote from ArtG. I'll sometimes comment on the comment. I don't read anything posted by ArtG unless someone quotes it.
That's called "double secret ignore"........... I wonder how many ignore lists I am on, it could be lots..........

Old 11-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #209

Quote:

Just imagine how much wisdom he's missing by relying on someone else to requote me! I'm so happy he doesn't see my stock picks! Heaven forbid he make any money because of me. I might have to charge him a commission.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #210

Quote:
That's called "double secret ignore"........... I wonder how many ignore lists I am on, it could be lots..........

Nahhhh, people love you. You end all your posts in happy face.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

The thread will be locked shortly if its focus doesn't get back on track.

Classy thread, eh?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
The thread will be locked shortly if its focus doesn't get back on track.

Classy thread, eh?
Not to be difficult, but MANY of our threads have massive thread drift, not just this one.........

Old 11-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

I'm guessing he meant, could you actually talk about something other than your ignore list.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #214
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not to be difficult, but MANY of our threads have massive thread drift, not just this one....
True enough.

But it's not the drift itself, it's where it has drifted to.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
True enough.

But it's not the drift itself, it's where it has drifted to.
This thread needs to be euthanized. Can you bring yourself to do it?
Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Earlier this year I went to a presentation that Moseh Milevsky did on VAs. His biggest concern was not so much the cost of them but were the companies issuing them pricing in enough money to cover the promises they had to make to boomers for the enxt 30-40 years.............wonder if he knew something we didn't??

Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #217

Quote:
Earlier this year I went to a presentation that Moseh Milevsky did on VAs. His biggest concern was not so much the cost of them but were the companies issuing them pricing in enough money to cover the promises they had to make to boomers for the enxt 30-40 years.............wonder if he knew something we didn't??
As I have mentioned to you in the past, after the presentation I heard with him, he stuck around for lunch and since no one was sitting with him, I figured I'd join him and bug him with questions. He did mention the annuities were too cheap and his suggestion was to buy them before the insurance companies realized it. He didn't predict a failure of insurance companies though.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Thread closed by popular request, moderators and users alike. RIP.

Closed Thread