One number to predict retirement happiness?

daylatedollarshort

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
"According to one financial expert, how happy you'll be after you stop working isn't just about how much money you have. It's based on how much money you have in relation to how much you need."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/number-could-help-predict-happiness-190700356.html

What do you think?

Caution: This is a light article from Yahoo news I found interesting. Many here don't like it or don't like the snippet I posted with it, so you might waste 30 seconds of your life clicking the article and reading the few paragraphs. That is 30 seconds of your life you will never get back mind you, so think very, very carefully before you click the link because it may not be all that fascinating to you.

Last edited:
Great, now all we need is a magic ball to find out just how much exactly we will need. Oh, and another to predict investments so we know how much we will have. Other than those two items, it's genius.

Me thinks Mr. Dickens already said much the same thing:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

I thought the number to predict retirement happiness was the number of times one had sex every week.

There is actually an even simpler calculation that works as well.
All you need to know is your date of death. :cool:

According to one financial expert, how happy you'll be after you stop working isn't just about how much money you have. It's based on how much money you have in relation to how much you need.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/number-could-help-predict-happiness-190700356.html

What do you think?

Well, I think there's a limit to that. If you only need X dollars to live happily in the lifestyle to which you are accustomed, and you have 3X dollars, would you be happier with 5X dollars? I just don't see it. And who would retire with less than X dollars if that is what you need? I doubt any of us would, at any rate. In other words, I think this measure of happiness needs to be further refined and tweaked.

As for the life expectancy calculator, it gives me until age 90. However, no complaints will be heard from my direction if I happen to live a little longer than that.

Me thinks Mr. Dickens already said much the same thing:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
+1 Why do people post naked links without summarizing the article. This one would have taken a simple sentence. The guy says to evaluate your expenses and then evaluate your income stream(s). If the ratio of funds/expenses is greater than 1 all is good. As noted above, essentially the Dickens ratio.

+1 Why do people post naked links without summarizing the article. This one would have taken a simple sentence. The guy says to evaluate your expenses and then evaluate your income stream(s). If the ratio of funds/expenses is greater than 1 all is good. As noted above, essentially the Dickens ratio.

I put the first paragraph of the article above the link. Sorry it didn't meet your standards.

Maybe I am missing something here - I don't feel this is article worthy. It's only stating the obvious, at least to me.

I mean, of course, you feel you have enough money to live on, that will make you happy, but the question is do you really know how much you will have or how much you will need.

The calculator is a joke. I have a glass of red wine every day (which is supposed to be good for health), yet by saying I drink daily, the calculator chops about 9 years off of my life expectancy. Huh? Give me a break.........I'll take my chances, and keep drinking the wine.
Don't buy any green bananas.

Has anyone read the book this is based on? It has good reviews on Amazon.

I love it, it not only told me how old I would be, but also listed the date of my death 8/12/2054! This is the ticket to help figure out my SWR. I will live to be 85 so I can better calculate when to start collecting SS for maximum benefit. If I more accurately represent my attitude - pessimistic vs. neutral it does take away 3 years though, so depending on cash flow I may keep the bad attitude.

Thanks for a fun link!

I thought the number to predict retirement happiness was the number of times one had sex every week.

The heck with that, how about the number of times two have sex each week? Or three or more, if you're into that.

-ERD50

The thing I found interesting about the calculator is that it takes the ratio of income to expenses into account which is a bit different than just LBYMs. This is something we really started working on these past few years instead of simply saving more money. I usually just see references involving savings in the milestone thread.

The calculator is a joke. I have a glass of red wine every day (which is supposed to be good for health), yet by saying I drink daily, the calculator chops about 9 years off of my life expectancy. Huh? Give me a break.........I'll take my chances, and keep drinking the wine.

It is pretty weird. I adjusted my BMI to <25 (from 30) based on their statement that that is the most important factor. I gained 4 years from that. Then I put the BMI back to 30, but changed the drinking from 2 times/week to never, and gained 9 years. I think whoever developed the calculator is a teetotaler.

I'll stick to my original numbers, an optimistic overweight boozehound. According to the calculator I'm going to die on April 14 2030. So I'm not going to bother doing my taxes that year.

Back
Top Bottom