Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Online asset allocation tools
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Online asset allocation tools

Recently I've begun more carefully scrutinizing my asset allocation. Previously I'd just dumped lump sums into various index funds to smooth out the uneven allocation I'd compiled.

Does anybody have thoughts on which websites have the best asset allocation tools? I've got a number of different accounts (brokerage, roth, 401k, DW's accounts, etc), so I'm looking for a site where I can input ALL the information (rather than just analyze the holdings I've got with that particular institution).

And now to hijack my own thread... recently I've noted the following message for several of my funds (this one applies to ETRUX). Does anybody know how these caps work, and should I just assume that the expense ratio will jump to .72 as soon as allowed (4/30/2008 according to the prospectus)?

"**The fund's expenses are subject to a cap and/or waiver on expenses. Without these caps and/or waivers, the total expenses would have been 0.72% as of 5/1/2007. There is no assurance that the caps and/or waivers will continue. For more information, please click on the prospectus link below."

Thanks!
bots2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bots2019 View Post
Does anybody have thoughts on which websites have the best asset allocation tools? I've got a number of different accounts (brokerage, roth, 401k, DW's accounts, etc), so I'm looking for a site where I can input ALL the information (rather than just analyze the holdings I've got with that particular institution).
Yes, log on to riskgrades.com, you need to establish an account and it will look at your allocation and provide comments.

Rita
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I like this.

EasyAllocator.com
Old 06-20-2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you like the 9-box style guide of Morningtar (M*), then you can go to www.troweprice.com and establish a FREE online persona (aka account) then use the M* premium tools there for free. You can enter ALL your holdings into the portfolio manager/tracker and get a portfolio X-ray (not the less useful instant X-ray). Vanguard has a similar tool called "portfolio watch", but is less useful.

Gotadimple - I tried riskgrades, but I found it clunky and I could not interpret any of the results. It's got graphs and figures, and circles and arrows, but appears to just be trying to dazzle me with bullshit. How exactly do you use it? Does it tell you how much emerging markets and how much REITs you have?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:14 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

As LOL said, the T. Rowe Price Calculators & Tools is excellent for seeing what you have. Use the Portfolio X Ray tool is the one you want.

Also, if you don't feel like creating your own spreadsheet for rebalancing, you can use Bob Beeman's Portfolio Rebalance Calculator.

- Alec
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

None of them are that special, but if you want some basic info they're not bad.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. My annual software subscription budget for my practice is $3500..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. My annual software subscription budget for my practice is $3500..........
Just curious, what is the main thing the $3500 a year software gives you that you can't get for free or at a much lower cost somewhere else?
Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #8

FD spends extra money for the software because it tells him how much he's making on the folks he's helping invest.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Just curious, what is the main thing the $3500 a year software gives you that you can't get for free or at a much lower cost somewhere else?
How about a tax writeoff?

Seriously he is running a business and there are many business costs (overheads) that do not apply to DIY. Buffett does not do allocation so he saves all that overhead.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Probably some assurance that the numbers are correct, imagine the
liability if you got it wrong.
You realize not everything on the internet is true and all freebies should
be double checked?
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #11

To OP's second question, a lot of fund companies hold down their fees in order to look good in league tables that are comparing them to other funds, at least for awhile until they build up a pile of investors' dough. Then the fine print says they can raise the fees on you, on the assumption that you'd rather pay the fees than sell the fund and pay capital gains taxes on the appreciation.

Caveat Emptor. btw, Vanguard doesn't do this.
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

From what I have read, any fancy asset allocation software "optimizers" are just an extreme exercise in data-mining. In other words, any tweaking to optimize an allocation is just an illusion. Better to just stick to the basic bonds/stocks ratios and foreign/domestic ratios according to your volatility/performance goals and not try to overly refine anything with software. You can find basic stats on various ratios on the internet (sorry I don't have any links handy).

I use my own basic spreadsheets to calculate any rebalancing.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
be double checked?
TJ
E&O insurance is $1800 a year...........but I don't leave home without it............

Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
From what I have read, any fancy asset allocation software "optimizers" are just an extreme exercise in data-mining. In other words, any tweaking to optimize an allocation is just an illusion. Better to just stick to the basic bonds/stocks ratios and foreign/domestic ratios according to your volatility/performance goals and not try to overly refine anything with software. You can find basic stats on various ratios on the internet (sorry I don't have any links handy).

I use my own basic spreadsheets to calculate any rebalancing.

Audrey
Find me a link for free that can do Monte Carlo, overlap analysis, and all the other goodies, and I'll gladly cancel all my subscriptions........

Morningstar is NOT to be genuflected to.............

Old 06-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
FD spends extra money for the software because it tells him how much he's making on the folks he's helping invest.
Pretty funny stuff, considering the job you had for over 30 years, care to shed some light on how much F&I departments make on unsuspecting consumers??

Old 06-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
be double checked?
TJ

You mean NOT EVERYTHING on the Internet is true?? The horror!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Quote:
Pretty funny stuff, considering the job you had for over 30 years, care to shed some light on how much F&I departments make on unsuspecting consumers??
Am I the only one enjoying the irony of watching the car dealers & financial advisors smack each other upside their heads?

Pass the popcorn, please!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Am I the only one enjoying the irony of watching the car dealers & financial advisors smack each other upside their heads?

Some of the travesties in dealer-financed car deals would make variable annuities look impossibly cheap..........

Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

X car dealer I might add. FD's still working (heheh) but a lot younger I'm sure.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
I have no idea, remember, I'm retired.

Tags
Asset Allocation