Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

USAA.

Tracks your spending across whatever accounts you wish to include

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I agree and we do the same. But any cash not needed for the next 30 days or so is held at Ally earning 1%. Fidelity has no similar offering that I'm aware of.
I see your point. I used to have a bank account, but I just got tired of one more thing to manage. I had bill pay from it and I was always trying to make sure I had enough cash in it to cover the bills and not go below the minimum. Plus it was one more thing to report and pay taxes on. I just like one pot of cash. For me it's easier, even if I give up a few bucks a year for the privilege.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Ally's online savings because they do pay 1%, which seems to be better than most. The only thing I have to pay close attention to is the number of withdrawals and transfers I make in a month. You are limited to six online transactions per month. After six, they asses a $10 penalty, and you get a warning letter stating if you continue to exceed six transactions, they are required to close your account.

You have to read the fine print to determine which transactions count toward the six. Online transfers out of Ally count, but deposits in do not. Manual checks that you ask them to issue for you also do not count. It's mainly the online transfers out of their account that they want to limit.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-23-2016, 09:08 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I use Ally's online savings because they do pay 1%, which seems to be better than most. The only thing I have to pay close attention to is the number of withdrawals and transfers I make in a month. You are limited to six online transactions per month. After six, they asses a $10 penalty, and you get a warning letter stating if you continue to exceed six transactions, they are required to close your account.

You have to read the fine print to determine which transactions count toward the six. Online transfers out of Ally count, but deposits in do not. Manual checks that you ask them to issue for you also do not count. It's mainly the online transfers out of their account that they want to limit.

Also - the month is determined by your statement cycle dates, I believe.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #25

Quote:

All banks are the same with the withdrawals from savings except their fees are different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_D_(FRB)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #26

Quote:
I agree and we do the same. But any cash not needed for the next 30 days or so is held at Ally earning 1%. Fidelity has no similar offering that I'm aware of.
+1

Fidelity for checking, Ally for longer term savings.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #27

Quote:

The limitations on my BofA savings account are very similar. I never really noticed the limitation until I RE'd but now it is very annoying as I am adjusting to not getting a semi monthly paycheck. This is just a regular savings account that pays ~0.01%. Here is the fine print on the excess withdrawal policy (which seems very gray to me):

Certain types of withdrawals and transfers from savings accounts
are limited to a total of 6 per monthly cycle. This limit is governed
by federal Regulation D and our deposit agreement.
However, this limit doesn’t apply to transactions made at financial
centers, by mail or at an ATM. (Please note that Withdrawal Limit
Fees still apply to these types of transactions.)
If you exceed the transaction limitations on more than
an occasional basis, we’ll convert your account to a checking
account that will no longer earn interest.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM   #28

Ally for long term checking, BOA for every day banking and debit card. Someone mentioned only getting one pack of checks on a reorder at Ally. Probably because you are limited to 10 transactions/month without a penalty. They don't expect you to be writing a lot of checks. That's why I use BOA for daily activity and transfer funds from Ally to BOA when checking account runs low. Checking is free at BOA with direct deposit.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Ally for long term checking, BOA for every day banking and debit card. Someone mentioned only getting one pack of checks on a reorder at Ally. Probably because you are limited to 10 transactions/month without a penalty. They don't expect you to be writing a lot of checks. That's why I use BOA for daily activity and transfer funds from Ally to BOA when checking account runs low. Checking is free at BOA with direct deposit.
I have this same setup. While working, had direct deposit with BOA. I don't recall how I pulled it off, but after retiring, I called up BOA and (IIRC) they switched me to another account allowing me to keep the checking account free without direct deposit. I probably told them I was thinking of switching to a free online bank so they accomodated me, but it's been so long now ICR.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I have this same setup. While working, had direct deposit with BOA. I don't recall how I pulled it off, but after retiring, I called up BOA and (IIRC) they switched me to another account allowing me to keep the checking account free without direct deposit. I probably told them I was thinking of switching to a free online bank so they accomodated me, but it's been so long now ICR.
Why do you guys use Ally checking instead of savings for your long term deposits?

It looks like savings pays 1% vs 0.6% for checking. As I mentioned I have similar arrangement w/ GS Bank savings account but plan on switching to Ally because GS Bank does no offer IRA accounts. I need the IRA to manage taxable distributions.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #31

Quote:
+1
Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #32

Quote:

I don't believe that 10 checks per month limit is accurate (at least for Ally). I looked at Ally's site, and didn't see any checks-per-month limits at all. They do have a limit of 6 outbound transfer on their savings account, which is pretty standard.

I think the stinginess with sending new checks is just a way to keep costs down.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
For those of you that only use online banking what do you do when you need a notary or a medallion signature guarantee?
I've never needed a medallion signature guarantee (had to look that one up!), but there are notaries all over the place. I used a UPS store a couple of years ago when I needed one.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I don't believe that 10 checks per month limit is accurate (at least for Ally). I looked at Ally's site, and didn't see any checks-per-month limits at all. They do have a limit of 6 outbound transfer on their savings account, which is pretty standard.

I think the stinginess with sending new checks is just a way to keep costs down.
Last time I checked it was 10 "transactions" per month. I maybe write one or two checks per year at Ally, like property taxes.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #35

Source: https://www.ally.com/checking/a-chec...king-accounts/

Quote:
Ally Bank Interest Checking Account offers:
  • Free standard paper checks and debit card
  • Unlimited check-writing privileges
  • Free online bill payment, which lets you make and schedule payments
  • Balance alerts that let you know when your funds go above or below certain levels
  • Free overdraft transfer service with no transfer fee, which automatically transfers money from another of your Ally Bank accounts
In addition, the Ally Bank Interest Checking Account gives you convenient online checking with no monthly maintenance fees...
Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Last time I checked it was 10 "transactions" per month. I maybe write one or two checks per year at Ally, like property taxes.

Perhaps it's changed. I just called them to confirm, and there's no limit to the number of checks per month from an Ally checking account. There are limits to transactions from savings and money market accounts.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #37

Quote:

Same here but still wondering why you use checking instead of savings. I do pay property taxes by initiating a transfer from the county website. There is a 1.50 fee and you can select to transfer funds from checking or savings.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Online Banking

I opened a free HSA at Alliant Credit Union and later found that they have good savings rates, no fees, fast transfers and great customer service. I pay only my largest bills from the savings account to keep the number of transactions under 6 per month. This means I don't have to keep such a large chunk in low-interest checking. Am thinking of moving my BofA checking to Alliant for some interest, but not looking forward to changing all my automatic debits.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Bank of Internet( based in CA, I'm not) to hold LT money and sweep my budget into a local bank with free checking, PNC.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
I'm happy with them. I initially signed up for a savings account with them, since they had the best interest rate (still only a pitiful 1%).

I recently signed up for a checking account because BofA was going to start charging me $25 per month for a checking account. That's been painless, and they'll reimburse $10 per month for ATM fees from other banks, so I can still use the BofA branch near my house to get cash if needed. The only annoyance with Ally checking is that when you request a check refill (which is free), they send a single book of checks, rather than the 100 we'd get from BofA. We've renewed online several times, and they come quickly, so it hasn't been a problem.
I've used Ally since they came into being. Always a competitive rate. No problems moving money back and forth to my checking account at another bank or my brokerage account.