Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you use hotel or other wifi options while traveling?
Yes, I use free wifi where ever I am to logon to banking and brokerage sites 30 34.88%
I only use hotel wifi to log on to bank and brokerage accounts domestically 8 9.30%
Nope, never logon if outside my home 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2019, 02:03 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Can't vote as I only use cellular date to do mobil baking when away from home. Would never use a hotel wifi for banking.
Same here...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Disclaimer: I'm not an IT person, but my understanding is that if you log into an unprotected (public) wi-fi account, according to articles I've read on CNET and other places, it's super easy for others to intercept everything you do, including usernames and passwords...and they may even be able to install a keystroke logger onto your device. I've read numerous articles telling you to never log into secure sites on a public network.

I only use the cell carrier when away from home to access financial sites.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I only use the cell carrier when away from home to access financial sites.
Is that safe?
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:15 AM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

I opted in to the security "Lockdown" feature on my accounts at Fidelity. Even I can't electronically transfer funds out of my own accounts unless I go through a 2FA (two-factor authentication) to get them unlocked. I also get plenty of notifications, especially on my credit card when over it's over a certain amount or if the card is not present such as an online purchase. Things that make me feel a bit safer no matter where I log into my accounts, which I check often. Been doing this ever since there was Wifi. No problems yet. Can a hacker get into my accounts and do some damage? It would be extremely difficult, but nothing is impossible. I would think they would rather choose someone's account that doesn't have all these safeguards in place.
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
https does not encrypt metadata, meaning it leaks all sorts of information about you and the sites you access, though probably not your password. By gathering your metadata a hacker can learn much about you, perhaps enough information to impersonate you online.
Bingo.

HTTPS is great, so even a man in the middle can't see the password on your bank transaction. Most banks and big shopping sites have a handle on this and do https correctly, so that's less and less of a worry.

What is a worry is EVERYTHING ELSE you are transmitting. You know how google/amazon/ER.org present you ads for stuff you just looked at? Now, imagine a hacker getting all your session data. It is just bits and pieces. But these guys are getting crazy good with big data analysis. They'll just take your information and add it to your "profile" which is slowly building out there.

Eventually, they may have enough information to give to their inside-friend at a cell company and sim swap you.

You see, it isn't the easy just-pick-off-the-password anymore. It is about building a profile to use against you with all the other data.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:00 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Any password protected WiFi is better than an unsecured public connection and preferable to a phones data connection. Public places like hotels that have password protected systems are still not secure if the passwords donít change regularly.

VPNís are so simple to use that I use them whenever away from my home router and I have a dedicated VPN router at home too....

Adequate Balanced portfolio. 40% equity, 20% LTrm income/bonds, 40% income producing real estate. ER is the Greatest! Actually DW is the greatest! And loving life as never before...
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can't vote as I only use cellular date to do mobil baking when away from home. Would never use a hotel wifi for banking.
+1 When traveling I'll only use my cellular data.... never a hotel or public wifi... will log on from an AirBNB lodging.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #68
Confused about dryer sheets

Agreed
Luckybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
I never do that over unsecured connections
Old 11-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #69
Confused about dryer sheets

I never do that over unsecured connections

But I often do it using the VPN....it's not that hard and it gives you all the protection you need over unsecured wifi links.
BBinTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #71

I use a travel router. I plug it in via a cord to the hotel system. Then all of our devices go through it. I also us a vpn when banking, or phone as a hot spot.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Use phone service
Old 11-07-2019, 10:45 PM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe

Use phone service

I will do banking from the phone using cellular data, not WiFi.
jjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Without getting into technical details, if you are using a browser, the connection between your device and the server is encrypted from end-to-end. The perceived security of the hotel wifi should not factor into this decision.
Exactly!

- Use a book-mark in your browser to get to your financial institution website to make sure you don't fat-finger to a phishing site.
- Verify that the URL starts with https://
- Use 2-factor authentication if available

You should be doing the above when logging in from anywhere including your home.

From what I understand, financial institution apps on phones are secure whether over Wi-fi or cellular.

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote