Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you use hotel or other wifi options while traveling?
Yes, I use free wifi where ever I am to logon to banking and brokerage sites 30 34.88%
I only use hotel wifi to log on to bank and brokerage accounts domestically 8 9.30%
Nope, never logon if outside my home 48 55.81%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Online banking from the road
Old 10-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Online banking from the road

OK how many will log on to their brokerage or bank from hotels domestically or internationally. Does the level of hotel impact your decision, country where you are staying?

2017 dry run spending: 2018 accelerate debt elimination: 2019 RV procurement & 1MY begins: 6/19 DW last month went early: 9/19 start cross country loop: 1/20 first reinforcements arrive. 6/20 sell business or shut doors. 9/20 begin globe trot: 4/26 401K reinforcement.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We do this in many countries and have done so frequently over the past eight years since retiring. Not much choice when we travel for extended periods. Most frequently in Thailand.

brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
gone traveling

I log in daily. Sometimes multiple times. I stay at low-budget (Super 8, Days Inn) motels mostly, and RV parks.

I assume that my passwords are safe...
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:15 PM   #4

There is nothing on my phone related to financial information or accounts and there never will be.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #5

Never had an issue, but I use two step verification.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:18 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

i login to my various financial sites while traveling in our motor home but always with my own verizon hotspot.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I will, but I use my laptop only via vpn, and store my password manager which is encrypted in an encrypted file (in case laptop is stolen).

I don't use my phone or app on my phone, as I carry that thing around all the time, and my passwords are too complex to remember.

I use my phone for email, via vpn.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:52 AM   #8

Can't vote as I only use cellular date to do mobil baking when away from home. Would never use a hotel wifi for banking.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:27 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Rarely. Iíll only log in publicly if it feels very necessary and will often use the thumb print log in.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:18 AM   #10

Only log in from my house. Just don't fully trust the hotel security.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:37 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Use your phone (or use it as a hotspot for your laptop) the security is much higher than any public wifi.

https://us.norton.com/internetsecuri...-vs-wi-fi.html
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:53 AM   #12

I mostly use my bank's apps with passwords entered via Touch ID. Touch ID is also required to get into my iCloud Keychain passwords. I *think* I have 2FA set up for most of my serious financial sites. I should probably check on that...

Life's too short to spend too much time here...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I only have logged on to bank sites from home or our snowbird condo. We have only been gone from either of these places for a few weeks at a time and I can wait until I get home to do any banking.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #14

I put Nope as there was not the key option in the poll! I ALWAYS log on from the road, BUT only from the secured Hotspot on my Phone. Never from any public wifi.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittinginthesun View Post
Use your phone (or use it as a hotspot for your laptop) the security is much higher than any public wifi.
+1

On our RV travels we always use our phone, with wifi off, to do any banking.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #16

Without getting into technical details, if you are using a browser, the connection between your device and the server is encrypted from end-to-end. The perceived security of the hotel wifi should not factor into this decision.

I can't speak to phone apps, although I would think they are similarly encrypted.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Without getting into technical details, if you are using a browser, the connection between your device and the server is encrypted from end-to-end. The perceived security of the hotel wifi should not factor into this decision.

I can't speak to phone apps, although I would think they are similarly encrypted.
Great answer.

So even if the hotspot is hacked, being monitored etc from a bad actor, they can't get your password data and then drain your accounts like the commercials imply.
2017 dry run spending: 2018 accelerate debt elimination: 2019 RV procurement & 1MY begins: 6/19 DW last month went early: 9/19 start cross country loop: 1/20 first reinforcements arrive. 6/20 sell business or shut doors. 9/20 begin globe trot: 4/26 401K reinforcement.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Can't vote as I only use cellular date to do mobil baking when away from home. Would never use a hotel wifi for banking.
I didn't vote fo the same reason, although I might use free wifi for sensitive activities with a VPN. It depends; for a quick balance check, I'll probably turn off wifi on my phone and run the app. For bill pay, email, or something similar with a few steps, I'll probably connect to a VPN on my laptop or tablet. And I have two-factor authentication enabled everywhere it's available.

In theory HTTPS sites should be safe even over open wifi, but there's really very little to no inconvenience to me to take these precautions.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm paranoid about this and never contact my financial institutions while on the road, But I have things set up so I don't need to. I would not be uncomfortable accessing banking over the cellular connection on my phone or via the phone's hotspot. If I ever run into a situation where it becomes critical to use public wifi I would risk it because I am confidant that my financial institutions use end to end https.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #20

Yes with my laptop and HTTPS... When traveling I seems to always look to be sure the connection is VIA HTTPS before entering my ID/PW. At home I don't usually check, but probably should. Just a habit.

Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote