Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been using my phone more and more for business online banking, primarily the fantastic remote cheque deposit feature which saves my office manager from having to go to the bank 3-4 times a week as we get on average about 10 cheques in a week. In the last few months I've deposited over 100 cheques, zero errors and clear very quickly. Love it and very glad to hear its even more secure than my desktop computer.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 06:19 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
On the news here in Chicago a few small groups of people are going up to folks on the street with a gun and demanding their cell phone, and making them unlock it before handing it over !!

I don't use my cell phone for banking, so I don't know, but if you pick up an unlocked phone, can you simply start the banking app to get access to the money ?
No - you need additional authentication. Some apps let you use fingerprint instead of your online password, but you still need username (although some can be configured to remember that I suppose). I leave it at username password has to be entered each time.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

FWIW I wasn’t asking about using a mobile device on a public WiFi, I’d never consider that.

I was wondering if I was safer using a mobile device on my home WiFi vs my hardwired PC. I take every precaution I know of with my PC and connection and I have never been hacked. Some who say they’re certain they can’t be hacked might still be at risk. That’s what I as getting at.

Lots of major corporations with full time pro IT said and believed they were absolutely safe, until they weren’t. Hacking an individual isn’t as valuable as hacking a large database, so individuals have that going for them.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not the same concern, but I had my AMEX card picked up by a remote scanner in the Grand Hyatt hotel lobby when checking in at San Juan, PR and a new card issued the next morning in Croatia. And my card had a security chip in it. In 30 minutes, $18,000 was charged on it before AMEX cut it off.
The chip helps against physical card cloning, but not against use of the number for card-not-present transactions.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have to agree that a phone or tablet using the bank's app is probably more secure that a general purpose computer using a browser. This assumes that the OS and the apps are being updated on a timely basis. Note: I found timely OS updates to be a big problem when I owned an Android phone. It's one reason I pay the Apple Tax. But, if the tax gets much bigger......

The idea of getting a Chromebook and using it only for financial transactions is a good way to handle financial security at home. Don't do anything else on it, and every month or so Powerwash it just in case. Google seems to be doing a good job of pushing updates through to the Chromebooks.

None of this helps if one does risky things like conduct one's financial business on public networks, or skips applying the updates.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
FWIW I wasn’t asking about using a mobile device on a public WiFi, I’d never consider that.

I was wondering if I was safer using a mobile device on my home WiFi vs my hardwired PC. I take every precaution I know of with my PC and connection and I have never been hacked. Some who say they’re certain they can’t be hacked might still be at risk. That’s what I as getting at.
Midpack,
If you have your router set up securely and are using your device and your home wi-fi, that should be equivalent to using your ethernet connected PC. The router security should prevent anyone from logging into your network and your device is using your network, not public air space.

- Rita
Old 11-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
The chip helps against physical card cloning, but not against use of the number for card-not-present transactions.
Fraudulent card present use dropped significantly with implementation of EMV, but fraudulent card not present use rose dramatically. https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...stics-1276.php

Someone just needs the numbers off the card to use it online, although smart merchants check billing address as well and many won't send expensive purchases to other than billing address without additional verification.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Midpack,
If you have your router set up securely and are using your device and your home wi-fi, that should be equivalent to using your ethernet connected PC. The router security should prevent anyone from logging into your network and your device is using your network, not public air space.

- Rita
Thank you. I was wondering if a virus/keylogger/etc. might make our desktop more vulnerable than our iPhones/iPads. I regularly do OS updates and use Norton and Malwarebytes for the desktop and our router is secured, but from what I know PC’s do get hacked without users realizing it all the time...

Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

As I was looking for current best practices, I ran across an interesting factoid. 13% of hacks are from keyloggers. The 87% of hacking is from simple social contacts and phishing.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #30

Online Banking is Safer on a Mobile Device (than a desktop)

I would think so most viruses and malware attack windows. Most phone do not run windows.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
As I was looking for current best practices, I ran across an interesting factoid. 13% of hacks are from keyloggers. The 87% of hacking is from simple social contacts and phishing.
Do you have the link for that? I'm curious how that information was determined.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Online Banking is Safer on a Mobile Device (than a desktop)

I would think so most viruses and malware attack windows. Most phone do not run windows.
No, but a lot of them run Android and there is a LOT of Android malware out there. The OS you run is not itself any kind of defense.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #33

So...am I safer doing my banking on my desktop (MS) or my ipad assuming both are wireless connections at home?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #34

I threw out a factoid on the percentages of phishing.

I lost the original source, but here is more information about phishing. On average, they are successful 30% of the time. The best are 45% successful.

Barkley is a knowledgeable credible source.

It makes me want to cave up and hide.

https://blog.barkly.com/phishing-statistics-2016
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #35

I have a dual boot system on my home PC. The Linux OS is strictly for financial stuff. The websites of my various brokerage accounts and banks are all that browser ever sees. All email and purchase transactions (along with miscellaneous surfing) are done on the entirely separate Windows OS (on a physically separate hard drive). I've convinced myself this is reasonably safe. Hope I'm right.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #36

I have a cell phone that has some malware from the cell phone maker. Malwarebytes can't not remove it. Is the phone safe to use?
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I have a cell phone that has some malware from the cell phone maker. Malwarebytes can't not remove it. Is the phone safe to use?
Knowing which OS, “cell phone maker” and what malware would make it easier to answer.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 AM   #38

I also use HotSpotVPN if I’m on a public WiFi with my phone. I haven’t had any problems.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably one of the Blu phones that have manufacturer-installed adware/snoopware as part of the auto-update software. Hard to say without more details.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Knowing which OS, “cell phone maker” and what malware would make it easier to answer.
It is a Sharp Aquos Crystal.
androed /PUP.Risktool.Agent.ay malwarebytes says its malware.