Online Banking is Safer on a Mobile Device (than a desktop)

FWIW I wasn’t asking about using a mobile device on a public WiFi, I’d never consider that.

I was wondering if I was safer using a mobile device on my home WiFi vs my hardwired PC. I take every precaution I know of with my PC and connection and I have never been hacked. Some who say they’re certain they can’t be hacked might still be at risk. That’s what I as getting at.
Midpack,
If you have your router set up securely and are using your device and your home wi-fi, that should be equivalent to using your ethernet connected PC. The router security should prevent anyone from logging into your network and your device is using your network, not public air space.

- Rita

The chip helps against physical card cloning, but not against use of the number for card-not-present transactions.

Fraudulent card present use dropped significantly with implementation of EMV, but fraudulent card not present use rose dramatically. https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-security-id-theft-fraud-statistics-1276.php

Someone just needs the numbers off the card to use it online, although smart merchants check billing address as well and many won't send expensive purchases to other than billing address without additional verification.

Last edited:
Midpack,
If you have your router set up securely and are using your device and your home wi-fi, that should be equivalent to using your ethernet connected PC. The router security should prevent anyone from logging into your network and your device is using your network, not public air space.

- Rita
Thank you. I was wondering if a virus/keylogger/etc. might make our desktop more vulnerable than our iPhones/iPads. I regularly do OS updates and use Norton and Malwarebytes for the desktop and our router is secured, but from what I know PC’s do get hacked without users realizing it all the time...

As I was looking for current best practices, I ran across an interesting factoid. 13% of hacks are from keyloggers. The 87% of hacking is from simple social contacts and phishing.

I would think so most viruses and malware attack windows. Most phone do not run windows.

As I was looking for current best practices, I ran across an interesting factoid. 13% of hacks are from keyloggers. The 87% of hacking is from simple social contacts and phishing.

Do you have the link for that? I'm curious how that information was determined.

I would think so most viruses and malware attack windows. Most phone do not run windows.

No, but a lot of them run Android and there is a LOT of Android malware out there. The OS you run is not itself any kind of defense.

So...am I safer doing my banking on my desktop (MS) or my ipad assuming both are wireless connections at home?

I threw out a factoid on the percentages of phishing.

I lost the original source, but here is more information about phishing. On average, they are successful 30% of the time. The best are 45% successful.

Barkley is a knowledgeable credible source.

It makes me want to cave up and hide.

https://blog.barkly.com/phishing-statistics-2016

I have a dual boot system on my home PC. The Linux OS is strictly for financial stuff. The websites of my various brokerage accounts and banks are all that browser ever sees. All email and purchase transactions (along with miscellaneous surfing) are done on the entirely separate Windows OS (on a physically separate hard drive). I've convinced myself this is reasonably safe. Hope I'm right.

I have a cell phone that has some malware from the cell phone maker. Malwarebytes can't not remove it. Is the phone safe to use?

I have a cell phone that has some malware from the cell phone maker. Malwarebytes can't not remove it. Is the phone safe to use?
Knowing which OS, “cell phone maker” and what malware would make it easier to answer.

I also use HotSpotVPN if I’m on a public WiFi with my phone. I haven’t had any problems.

Probably one of the Blu phones that have manufacturer-installed adware/snoopware as part of the auto-update software. Hard to say without more details.

Back
Top Bottom