Join Early Retirement Today

online billpay no longer free; looking for new one
Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

online billpay no longer free; looking for new one

It used to be that to qualify for better rates and such my credit union wanted me to use online billpay, which I happily did for a long time... Now, I guess they decided (or figured out?) it should be the other way around - to qualify for free bill pay I have to do a bunch of other things... in other words, after a dozen years with this institution as my primary bank (though it's a CU), I am now looking for a better place which would offer a free checking with online bill payer.

Can you folks recommend or suggest problems with online bill payment systems of other banks / CUs? Does/Did anyone here use online billpay at Alliant, Ally, USBank, PNC, others?

Thanks!
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you can keep $25,000 combined in your IRA, brokerage, & checking, then the only game in town is the WellsFargo PMA package. Everything is FREE. You get free trades on everything which is worth it alone.

Otherwise, USAA is a good place. I currently have $0.00 in my USAA checking and have never been charged a fee. In fact, I wouldn't even have a USAA account if they didn't pay me indirectly $6000 over the last few years.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I am currently using USBank and Schwab online bill pay, and both have functioned flawlessly for me, and are free with a checking account.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #4

It has always been free with my USAA bank checking account.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Bank of America has great online bill pay -- free.

It is the only thing I like about BOA, I might add, and is one of very few "free" things they offer.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PNC offers free online bill pay with Free Checking. There's a minumum $2k for free ATM usage though.

We opted for the Performance Select Checking (min $10k) to get a free safe deposit box - $100 annual credit (we got the 2nd largest box) and free domestic wire transfers. The free wire transfer convinced me because I use it a lot. Some banks charge $30 or more for this service. I find I'll wire any amount since I don't get charged for it.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #7

I am with Bank of America - they have a great online bill payment system. And it's free as far as I know (not sure for how long though).
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

My Capital One visa is offering bill pay--I presume it's free. And maybe gives points, too. Maybe I should look into it for myself....
Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I don't even use an online bill paying service.

I do have various recurring bill payments automatically taken out of my credit card and checking account. The bills that don't have this service (one or two a month) I write an old fashioned check.

To keep up to date where my current balance is I rely on my old style checkbook register (remember those things? ).
Old 10-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have used ING and ALLY billpay, Ally pays a little more interest on the money that I keep in the account for the bill pay, but both have been very easy to use. I do like ING's online program a tad bit better, but the nice thing about Ally, is while they cut the check and send it before the due date, they don't actually debit your account until the day you have set up as the pay date (if that makes sense). A couple extra days float.....
Old 10-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I use Chase.... opened an account at Capital One, but did not like their bill pay program... so have let it just sit with a little money in it....

Have not tried the online banks for checking, but might look into that as I do have an ING savings account and it pays a lot more interest than either bank... hint... Chase is zero for my account, but if you had... say $90,000 in your checking account they raise that up to .01% (not a mistype)....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

I do have various recurring bill payments automatically taken out of my credit card and checking account. The bills that don't have this service (one or two a month) I write an old fashioned check.

To keep up to date where my current balance is I rely on my old style checkbook register (remember those things? ).
Same here. I even pay my electric bill automatically via VISA and reclaim 1% every month.

My credit union has auto bill pay, but I only use it for my mortgage.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

This is pretty much how I do things. Most of my regular monthly bills (electric, phone, cable TV) I pay via electronic payment from my checking account. Only one regular monthly bill I pay via paper check because they, surprisingly, have never set up auto-pay (I have asked them several times) even though we mail the check to their BANK! Go figure.

My non-monthly payments I pay by paper check even if I could auto-pay them. One reason is that some are large and another is that I want a paper trail. The bank which has my credit card has a branch down the street so I pay that in person, thereby avoiding any chance of the Post Office losing my check (and the walk gives me some exercise and a chance to get quarters for the laundry LOL!). One small annual bill goes to my credit card.

Most of the transactions in and out of my mutual funds are done electronically, but they are initiated through the mutual fund's website (or phone system).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Same here. I even pay my electric bill automatically via VISA and reclaim 1% every month.

My credit union has auto bill pay, but I only use it for my mortgage.

I would do that, but my utilities charge a fee... like $5 or $10... so you are not getting the full benefit... and only when your bill is big enough...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #15

Our Wachovia checking account - now Wells Fargo - started charging $5.95/mo for access to the account using Quicken/Money.

I find that incredibly arrogant and greedy. Here we are - saving them money by not going into a branch (which is just a few blocks away) each time we want some information, but they feel they can turn around and charge for the service - while just about every bank offers it for free!

I called to have the charge removed. They changed my account type (now, that I'm over 50) and lo & behold - not only is the fee removed, but the minimum is reduced too!

I think there is much to recommend the "Move your money" movement. I plan to get out of this bank soon!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

It is the only thing I like about BOA, I might add, and is one of very few "free" things they offer.
+1 (especially about the "only thing I like about BOA")
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I would do that, but my utilities charge a fee... like $5 or $10... so you are not getting the full benefit... and only when your bill is big enough...
Made me look. Apparently my utility just eats the credit card charge.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Fidelity. Unused funds in MM. They automatically deduct the funds from the MM when they pay, not when you schedule a future payment.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

I've been with Bank of America for years, going back to when it was Nations Bank. Always had a good relationship with them but they never made a cent off of me. As I remember, the checking account is free as long as you have met some basic requrements. In my case it was direct deposit of my retirement/social security check. Their online banking is then free and great. I no longer write checks.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Our Wachovia checking account - now Wells Fargo - started charging $5.95/mo for access to the account using Quicken/Money.

I find that incredibly arrogant and greedy. Here we are - saving them money by not going into a branch (which is just a few blocks away) each time we want some information, but they feel they can turn around and charge for the service - while just about every bank offers it for free!
That $5.95 monthly fee pushed me over the edge at Wachovia. I now bank at USAA, free checking, free online Bill Pay, free Quicken download.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote