Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I ER'd in 2006 before I joined the forum. I look at the successes and failures if any, of the group. I have 2 mantras in ER, LBYM and don't spend it all in your first 5 years.

grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
I think those researchers would be shocked to learn that the personal-finance bloggers keep egging their readers to stop spending and start saving. Why, if everyone did that then the entire consumer economy would grind to a halt!

Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
The other peer pressure here is to pull the trigger on ER ASAP. I think people are very helpful here to make sure that ER candidates have really figured out their budget, asking questions about whether pensions have a COLA, if medical is really covered, etc. But at times I've seen an attitude that one should ER as soon as you are at the 4% SWR rate. I almost felt apologetic that I wasn't comfortable without a better buffer. I'm a pretty stubborn person so I held out until I was ready. Maybe the peer pressure was really just in the form of encouraging those who were able and wanted to but were afraid that it might not be OK, and nobody is losing sleep over pulling the trigger before being ready. I also see less of that peer pressure now. I suspect a weak economy has made everyone a bit more cautious.
Somebody is probably going to ask me for examples, and like I said recently I haven't seen much of this, and I'm not going to go back and dig through past posts. It's just something I definitely noticed when I first came onboard.
As a timely example, a neighbor & good friend has been planning to retire in "just one more year" after he paid off their mortgage. He's a retired 30-year Army CW4 and he's fairly high up in the GS ranks. He's in his mid 60s and plans to keep on working until age 66 or 67.

We got a call Wednesday from his spouse that he's had a stroke (or cerebral hemorrhage) and is in the ICU. We haven't heard from her (or their family) since. We're hoping that no news is good news, but we just don't know yet.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I believe it.

If it were worded a little differently... "Online forums can influence decisions and actions". Few would disagree with that one.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...
It must be true; I saw it on the internet!
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...
I am guessing people in this forum make less dumb financial decisions.
Maybe, maybe not. It ain't me, babe.
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Hmmm - I used to be an unemployed slacker and cheap SOB - with a webtv and cheap phone hookup.

Then I came across this forum and became a high class ER, forgot line dry, mastered the art of dryer sheets and the rest is history. And early on received a used computer for Christmas.

? Cushion effect? Perhaps as I recently bought some fabric softener crystals.

heh heh heh - Perhaps losing discipline and taking more chances - but I'm not getting any younger.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...
There may be some truth to the article. I don't think I would be trying to retire at such a young age but for this forum. More likely is that I would have continued working and amassing more money, not realizing that "winning" isn't defined by how much money you have saved but what value you get out of the money, and figuring out when you have "enough".

Unquestionably I have received ample good advice and education here on investing and tax efficiency, etc. But my retirement might be slightly more risky since I'll be retiring earlier and possibly with less money than I otherwise would have had.

Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (4, 10, and 11).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote