Online company to order checks from?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My independent bank links to Deluxe to order checks from. I went through the process of ordering a couple of plain jane boxes at about 20 bucks each then ran into delivery charges of $11 for standard delivery (they push the $38 get it in 5 days).

Anyone with suggestion of other online providers? Deluxe is a little too proud of their product and delivery for me....

Check Walmart's prices.
The last time I ordered checks they were more reasonably
priced than what my CU charged.

I needed just a small pack of checks, I write so few that I didn't want to have to order hundreds.

I used Carousel Checks Order Checks Online and Save 70% - Cheap Checks starting at $2.39 and got the smallest order of 60 checks. I didn't need them immediately so I used the cheapest shipping.

$3.99 for 60 checks
$2.99 for shipping
$6.98 Total

I liked how you could design the checks and preview and make changes. Plenty of design options and I used plain old "parchment" style.

And yes, they worked just fine at my bank.

I got them from Costco last time, I think they were cheaper than Walmart for me, but I don't seem to have the prices handy.

-ERD50

My independent bank links to Deluxe to order checks from. I went through the process of ordering a couple of plain jane boxes at about 20 bucks each then ran into delivery charges of $11 for standard delivery (they push the $38 get it in 5 days).

Anyone with suggestion of other online providers? Deluxe is a little too proud of their product and delivery for me....
Deluxe is charging the bank roughly $3 for those checks and the bank is marking them up to $20. Same for delivery...

Last edited:
Deluxe is charging the bank roughly $3 for those checks and the bank is marking them up to $20. Same for delivery...

I figured the issue is with the bank's cut of the pie.. I don't blame 'em for trying... somebody will bite..

I used Walmart last time. On same subject, I get a grin when I (infrequently) write checks on my FIDO account....they're printed with the year as 19__ !!!

I didn't realize my credit union was getting the Deluxe checks so cheap & marking them up so much. I just ordered & received a box, but that's the last time. I'll shop for cheaper options from now on.

I use Sam's Club. Checks come from the supplier in Texas. I never pay for the expedited shipping, and get then in 3 business days or less.

I also used Walmart for my last batch of checks. It was ~$10 for a box, including shipping and taxes. I write 2-3 checks a month, so that box will last me a while. :)

Financial instituions seldom print the checks they sell. It's worthwhile to do a google search of something like "check printing" to find the best online supplier.

We used to use Checks in the Mail but last time we used Walmart for half the cost.

We ordered cheques for the first time in many years..we do not use many.

We ordered directly from the printer that our bank uses. The cost to our door was just under half of what the bank charged.

Last time I got a box of checks, there was no box. They came in a booklet which is going to mess up my storage system. I used the boxes to save the old stubs and registers... sigh.

just ordered from Walmart

basic checks.. 150 a box. 3 boxes for about $17...

saved 70% of what bank/Deluxe wanted, excluding shipping...

happy, happy, happy

So if I went on the Deluxe site and ordered and paid direct instead of out of my bank account, would they be cheaper?

Last time I got a box of checks, there was no box. They came in a booklet which is going to mess up my storage system. I used the boxes to save the old stubs and registers... sigh.

Last time I got checks, they were send in a plastic package, with the box shipped flat inside the package. They get cheap postage rates as this is "machineable mail' , not a parcel.

Unfolding and assembling the check storage boxes is ease.. "bend here, insert tab into slot A" etc.

Walmart.com for personal.

Last edited:
Last time I got checks, they were send in a plastic package, with the box shipped flat inside the package. They get cheap postage rates as this is "machineable mail' , not a parcel.

Unfolding and assembling the check storage boxes is ease.. "bend here, insert tab into slot A" etc.

The last few times I have ordered checks they have arrived this way. Besides saving money on shipping, might it also be a security feature so someone seeing this flat item won't know it is checks (as opposed to a box which is more of a giveaway)?

In 2012 I bought 150 checks from Checks Unlimited for $7.50, including shipping. It will last me about 7 years. I had a paper form, did not buy them on line.

Wow?! People have to pay for checks? When did that happen?

I'd switch banks to one that gives you free checks.

So if I went on the Deluxe site and ordered and paid direct instead of out of my bank account, would they be cheaper?

Yes they would be cheaper but no you can't order directly from Deluxe - at least not under the Deluxe label.

The two surviving major check printers, Deluxe and Harland Clarke won't sell direct to the consumer as their primary customers (banks and credit unions) take exception to cutting them out of the fees they collect when account holders to order through the financial institution (see the OP for an example).

To get around this the check companies formed separate direct mail companies selling directly to the consumer. Current = Deluxe and Checks In The Mail = Harland Clarke.

Note than several other companies (Checks Unlimited, 4Checks, etc.) also sell checks directly to the consumer as well as through retail outlets like Walmart and Costco. These companies were created by former employees shed by Deluxe, Harland, Clarke and other mainstream check companies as the industry underwent massive downsizing during the past 15 years.

Great information. Thanks.

TD Bank gives up free checks, buy seriously I can't remember the last time we even wrote a check. I embrace the modern technology of online banking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom