Join Early Retirement Today

Online Monte Carlo calculator
Old 12-02-2003, 05:18 PM   #1

Online Monte Carlo calculator

Does anybody remember Galeno from the free Motley Fool boards? This isn't to stir up "controversy" it involves a monte carlo program he pointed to a few yrs back.

It seems to have been removed (after all this time) from the web. Anybody know if it's been moved or when it'll be back?

These are the old URLs to jog your memory

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/M...drawalSim.html

http://www.geocities.com/nandmmeyer/...drawalSim.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Online Monte Carlo calculator
Old 12-02-2003, 06:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know the answer to your questions, but Galeno has appeared occasionally on the MSN Retire Early Boards. And the folks on the No Fee Boards seem enamoured with Monte Carlo simulations and probably know of links that would get you what you are looking for. I'm very skeptical about the value of Monte Carlo analysis for several technical reasons, but the analysis can be useful for qualitative answers.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:17 PM   #3

Thanx SG. I'm with you btw. I don't really trust Monte Carlo that much but I like to play "what ifs" and compare results with historical analysis a la the FIRE Calc. I just happen to like the Galeno one because it's more versatile than the I-Orp and MoneyChimp kind. And I like all the colors
Old 12-02-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

RoyUtah,

I just ran across a TIAA-CREF article that might interest you. Go to:

www.tiaa-crefinstitute.org

click on "Pensions and Retirement"

click on "Published Articles"

The article is titled:
Making Retirement Income Last a Lifetime
John Ameriks, TIAA-CREF Institute, Robert Veres, Inside Information and Mark J. Warshawsky
December 2001

Although the article is about annuities as a component of a retirement portfolio and how it affects portfolio longevity risk, the authors use a Monte Carlo simulator that they attempt to calibrate with a historical simulator. They publish a number of detailed tables with the results from both simulators that you might find useful if you are trying to do sanity checks on your own what-if simulations.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

FYI...
There is a somewhat limited (in terms of inputs...example being asset allocation mix) calculator at T.Rowe Price that claims to use Monte Carlo Simulation. I've run it a few times and it seems to come out a bit more conservative on safe withdrawal rates vs. FireCalcs's back testing with historical data.....
for what it's worth...
http://www3.troweprice.com/ric/RIC/
fufund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:41 AM   #6
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I too have looked for it, with no luck.

FWIW, when it was first made known to the Motley Fool RE forum readers, it was compared with the historical model used by FireCal, and the results were pretty similar, assuming your volatility and return inputs were those of the market as a whole. I think I used the figures for the Vanguard Total Market Index fund as the input.

Surprise surprise -- 4%.

It offered some very useful ways of looking at the outcomes when the volatility was varied.

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote