Online Quicken Software -- now FREE

Achiever51

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've been using Quicken on and off for years now and have a real love/hate relationship with it...I love having all the financial data at my fingertips but I hate being tied to the updates, etc.

Now I see that the online version of Quicken, which used to be available by subscription, is now free to everyone.

Have you tried the online version of Quicken? And, if yes, what do you think of it? I like the idea of being able to access my data from any computer, but I'm wary about data security.

Here's a link to the site: Quicken® Online: 100% Free Online Banking & Personal Finance Software

Yeah, they made the change in mid-October. I won't switch because I have 11 years worth of data in Quicken, and you can't upload it into Quicken Online.

I'm waiting for the catch. I bet it won't be free for long. They are just building their market share and get people hooked so they can start charging them in a few months or years.

This will make it much easier for law enforcement - instead of having to subpoena multiple bank accounts, all they'll have to do is subpoena quicken online.

Here is the license agreement from their website. They can impose fees with 30day notice.

SOFTWARE USE, STORAGE AND ACCESS.
Intuit shall have the right, in its sole discretion and with reasonable notice posted on the Quicken Online site and/or sent to your email address provided in the Registration Data, to revise, update, or otherwise modify the Services and establish or change limits concerning use of the Software and Services, temporarily or permanently, including but not limited to (i) the amount of storage space you have on the Software at any time, and (ii) the number of times (and the maximum duration for which) you may access the Software in a given period of time. Intuit reserves the right to make any such changes effective immediately to maintain the security of the system or Licensee Access Information or to comply with any laws or regulations, and to provide you with electronic or written notice within thirty (30) days after such change. You may reject changes by discontinuing use of the Software and Services to which such changes relate. Your continued use of the Software or Services will constitute Licensee's acceptance of and agreement to such changes. For details about our refund policy, please refer to Quicken® Software: Personal Finance, Online Banking, Financial Planning, Budgeting, Money Management. Intuit may, from time to time, perform maintenance upon the Software or Services resulting in interrupted service, delays or errors in the Software or Services. Intuit will attempt to provide prior notice of scheduled maintenance but cannot guarantee that such notice will be provided.

The reason that they made it free was because they couldn't compete with all the free services out there while they were charging a subscription fee. I seriously doubt that they'll return to a subscription-based model. Rather, they'll use this to leverage ad sales, or they'll create new, value-added services for which you'll have to pay. There are just too many free alternatives out there for them to go back to charging for the basic service.

This move furthers Intuit's goal, which is to annoy as many people as possible.

Hmmm, I think I'll stick with the old school version of Quicken rather than going with the online version...at least until I find a better alternative.

Thanks for the input!

I tried the online version and didn't care for it much. There's only one level of categories and no monthly reports to print out and review. All they have is a pie chart and category totals. I'm too used to reviewing all 12 months (one column per month) with categories and sub-categories down the left side so I can see my spending trends for each sub-category across the year. If they add sub-categories and better reporting, I may give it another try. They also don't show investments in their reporting.

This months Money mag did a review of all the online banking software available. I think mint.com won. There was a close second, whose name evades me.

Back
Top Bottom