Join Early Retirement Today

Oops..HealthCare.Gov Gave Incorrect Tax Form for Some
Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oops..HealthCare.Gov Gave Incorrect Tax Form for Some

Oops

Quote:
Nearly 800,000 customers who used the government’s Healthcare.gov website received the wrong tax information, and they were asked to delay their tax filing for the year, according to The Associated Press.

In a blog post on Friday, the website asked: “Is your Form 1095-A correct?”

“If you enrolled in a plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace for 2014, you should’ve received an important tax statement in the mail, called Form 1095-A. This statement has information you need to fill out your 2014 federal income tax return,” the website said. “Most people received a correct Form 1095-A. However, if we contact you because your Form 1095-A is incorrect, here’s why. Some forms included the monthly premium amount of the second lowest cost Silver plan for 2015 instead of 2014, which needs to be corrected.”

800K Healthcare.gov Marketplace Users Got Bad Tax Info, 1095-A Form Filers Should Delay
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I just got an automated phone message an hour ago telling me not to use the form I got in the mail because it's wrong. Good thing i'm out of town for work or I would've already filed. Now I have to wait until they send a corrected form before I can file.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I guess I do not fall into this category since they did not even give me that info for some reason....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had the same problem with a large mutual fund company a few years ago. After I sent in my return. I had to file an amended return. Thankfully, my tax software handled that rather easily.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

In other news, big organization does new thing for the first time, fails.

When UstaCorp first implemented a 401K plan, the W-2 forms that year were... hilarious. I think I got the original version and two revisions before the numbers were correct.

There are enough new moving parts in this year's tax returns that I am not in any hurry to file. I know if I filed now, it's very likely that I'll be filing a revised return later. Once is sufficient, thank you.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Likely intentional, to make sure more extensions are granted. ---- Just another conspiracy theory. Move along.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #7

My former employer messed up my w-2's... kept calling and sending new ones.
Sent the original with no accounting for ESPP stuff.
Sent the next with federal accounting for ESPP stuff, but not state ESPP accounting.
Finally sent a 3rd one out, that theoretically is correct... but who knows.
And yes - ESPP was new to this employer - they had to implement it after acquiring my division and having 15000 outraged employees pissed about the loss of yet another benefit due to mergers/acquisitions/splits/spinoffs.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

This is what happens when one skips one or more steps in the proper processing of forms. I suspect the paperwork was not buried in soft peat for three months.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:00 AM   #9
Administrator

From the NY Times this morning
Quote:
The Treasury Department has an easy fix for taxpayers who filed their returns using inaccurate data sent by HealthCare.gov: They don’t have to do anything at all.
Taxpayers are free to choose whether to file or not.

Edit: here's a link to the Idaho Statesman report http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/0...or-health.html
Quote:
WASHINGTON — Taxpayers who've filed their 2014 returns only to learn that the government provided them with erroneous information on health care subsidies won't be required to submit corrected returns, the Treasury Department said Tuesday.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure why we bother to have statutes since administrations can just do what they damn well please. Not that I'm saying the administration's response is wrong, it is just annoying that they have the latitude to ignore the law as they please. BTW, my feeling would be the same no matter which party occupies the White House.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #11
Administrator

Sounds to me like it's an effort to be pragmatic.
Quote:
A Treasury official said the government determined that the errors are not significant enough to require taxpayers to refile returns already submitted.

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote