Join Early Retirement Today

Opinion on MLP's
Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Opinion on MLP's

Any of you into MLP's as a source of income. Any reccommendations as to what to look at? Anything priced reasonable?

I like the tax benfifits on these. Are there any web sites dedicated to educating you on them?
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Opinion on MLP's
Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I own several, and have for at least 20 years. One unexpected benefit is that the gradual whittling away of your basis and the fact that on sale much of your gain may be recaptured as ordinary income makes you much less likely to trade. So they just hang around spewing out cash and growing in capital value. MLPs are getting more popular, hence they are often not the obvious bargains that they tended to be back when Peter Lynch first wrote about them in the '80s. Still, REITs went up almost another 100% after I felt that I had gotten most of the gains available, so once the MLP thing gets going it could go on a long time. The O&G MLPs have been strong the last 6 months or so.

Many are in oil and gas area, in particular pipelines. storage, etc. For the most part, I prefer those which are MLP GPs, not the limited partnerships underlying. The GPs derive income mostly from ownership of LP units plus- and this is a big one-IDRs, aka incentive distribution rights. These give the GP leverage on the LP distributions so the GP distribution though starting from a lower base often grows faster.

I don't like to name issues because then I tend to feel responsible for others, but go to these Yahoo Groups and you can learn a lot. It also helps to learn a bit about gas distribution, growth areas for drilling, etc. because one can make mistakes. I will mention one because the CEO recently bought an enormous slug of the units which tends to make me feel more comfortable- VEH.

mlp_research
mlp_research2
mlp_research3
mlp_research4

Ha
Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

We covered it here

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...38805#msg38805

hope that helps
-h