Join Early Retirement Today

Opinon for Portfolio
Old 11-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Opinon for Portfolio

Ok..if you would? Give me your opinions on this one..
I do Financial volunteer work at my Local VA ( Veterans) center and in my small Town's VFW/AM Legion...of just the Basics and for More Indepth planning refer them to a Investment Firm that also does it Free..

I use several differnet Financial Planning Sites..from Vanguards to others..

Here is This latest Case:

1. Self Employed Guy had to retired due to Disability at age 55
2. No IRA/Roths/Pensions
3. Gets SSD only fixed income of $15,000 yr
4. Lost his Wife..Died Cancer, kids all grown up on their own doing well
5. Gets VA Health Care with $25 ded. for Drugs- Spend ave of $1,000/yr and had Medicare coverage
6. Downsized to a Smaller Cottage home and had $500k leftover for savings.> Taxable Account with Vanguard
7. Financial Planning says will need an avearge of $30,000 yr Net after tax for next 20 yrs... $20k and then +$5k every 5 yrs .
8. Thus needs a Min. of $15k yr from the $500k + est. Fed and state Taxes = $18,000 yr = 3.5% apy
9. Adding another $15,000/yr net aft tax to go back into the $500k for Inflation ( Gross 3.5% = $18k - 18% est. taxes = $15k net )
10. Total Min. % needed from the $500k Investment Port = 7% apy
11. He would also like to make as much as he can to leave as much as he can to his Kids..
12. Been a Risk Taker his whole life, thus has no problem investing in Equities with -25%-50% downsides at times, just as along as it makes it up in 2-3 yrs afterwards..and then some.. Has gone thru Bankruptcy 2 times in his life, Once in his business and once after wife died of cancer..from hospital/med. bills..
13. Plan B: If loose too much , can go live with his Kids, all are doing very well and have Very Big Homes and/or have offerred to Give him $ anytime he needs it to tie him over and stay in his Own little 2 bedrm home.
14. Has already taken out 3 yrs of COH in a MMkt Fund for his Bills.
15. The $500k is the Bal. to invest..

> One Suggested Port Mix is a 40/60 Port ( like Mine is)
> Apprently would be saitsfied with a 8-10% apy as Minimum Goal..
> Which tells me he best have a 60/40 or even a 70/30 Port?

Have Reviewed and gotten opinions from several Pro's:
> Fund Advice/Paul Merriman, Scott Burns/Asset Builder, Paul Ferrell's Index Ports, Bob Brinker's Ports and 2 Investment Firms recommended Ports..

> Not a Big fan of using Indexes.. since have a Limited Upside to them or have to own more in higher Risk Int'l to get a higher Rtn.. and eventhen, the past 10 yrs of a 70/30 Index port has only done about 7% apy..(8% ending 2007')

so far, at the Top of the Pile of Ports?
A Couple of Balanced Fundsof: OAKBX and FPACX.( Have ck'd out over 25 of them )
+ 5% in each of Growth Funds: FAIRX,CGMRX,CGMFX

Is ready to start buying in while market is way down in 25% increments to hopefully take advantage of current and future markets..and hopefully get portfolio off to a good start it's first few yrs..

So, What kind of a Taxable Portfolio would you put together for him and recommend?

Thank you
Dennis

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i can't help much with the detailed FA, but i wanted to tell you HOORAY FOR YOU for your volunteer work.
i am a volunteer driver with the DAV/VA Transportation Network at my local VA outpatient clinic. it is the highlight of my week.
anything we can do for our veterans is always a good thing and always appreciated.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
11. He would also like to make as much as he can to leave as much as he can to his Kids..
Quote:
13. Plan B: If loose too much , can go live with his Kids, all are doing very well and have Very Big Homes and/or have offerred to Give him $ anytime he needs it to tie him over and stay in his Own little 2 bedrm home.
I'm struggling with reconciling these two statements. If the kids are all doing well, and he is struggling along on on SSD, why not go with a more conservative investment scheme? Even, dare I say it, a SPIA annuity? Or a Vanguard payout fund?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

He should not have dismissed index funds. Just that alone says that he doesn't think rationally or look at the real returns of those balanced funds.