ORP Roth Conversions

Dranoel

Dryer sheet aficionado
When I run the ORP retirement planner, it provides a schedule for conversion of traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs with the intent to maximize after-tax income over the period of the plan. Are any of you following this advice? Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

When I get to that stage, I will certainly use it to see what it suggests, understand what it suggests, then make up my own mind. Are you blindly following it or do you make up your own mind as well?

I recently FIRED and I've not made any conversions. Just considering my options at this point.

Did you read the recent poll/thread on Roth conversions?

When I run the ORP retirement planner, it provides a schedule for conversion of traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs with the intent to maximize after-tax income over the period of the plan. Are any of you following this advice? Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

I am early retired(several years) and 58, and ran ORP starting last Feb.
I studied what it said to do for Roth conversions.
I had planned to do somewhere around 60-65 k for a few years to convert as much as I could.I had converted 64k in 2009.
It planned out converting 22-23 a year until 65.

I decided to convert 33 this year and 34 next year, partly because it worked out well on one IRA to do half each year, and partly because I feel taxes will go up soon and I don't know how much.
After next year, I will see how things go and may go with the 22-23 they recommend , if it makes sense for me at the time.

I feel ORP saved me , somewhat , from myself , of getting in too big a hurry to convert, too much, too soon.It no doubt saved me some money.

Only time will tell what was the right thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom