Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Out of the blue expenses suck
Old 05-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Plumber? I didnt want the plumber...I wanted someone to help me get rid of all these intoxicated naked women in my living room and...hello? hello?"

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's why, I am so happy that, I just sold my house. Being very cheap frugal and lazy, I did minimal maintainance and upgrades on the house over the 15 years I owned it. The house held up well enough to get me nearly 12% over the original asking price.

Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey
I found out yesterday that one of my cats has a heart murmur, and it needs to go to a cat cardiologist!* Estimated cost: $350.* *:
Cat. $350. Oxymoron
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
The jet-engine powered bong exploded... :
Or your jet engine beer cooler:
http://asciimation.co.nz/asciimation/beer/index.html
Old 05-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Isn't technology great!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #46

I like to hear of other people's expenses.* Not to gloat, but just to bring me back to reality of what it costs to do things.* I'm over on the extreme end of D-I-Y, and I grumble about the cost of materials or parts.* I lose touch with what people are paying to have things done.

I haven't tried dentistry yet* :P
I've broken up lot's of concrete with a jackhammer, but I've never poured 2000 sq. ft.!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:54 AM   #47

Remember the epsiode of Andy Griffith where Aunt Bea has this old freezer she wants to fix so she can save money by storing a yrs worth of beef? She keeps trying to fix it on the cheap and Andy keeps repeating "Aunt Bea. Call THE MAN! That's how I do it.

In this age of technology, I have found over* the years, (and I am almost 50 now)* that most people can* almost never do what they want to do in terms of repairing something because they don't really know how or, they might know but dont have the tools.*

If they buy the tools they will use them ONCE in their whole lives...maybe twice... and 90% of the time they will never be satisfied because they know they were doing a lot of "Poke 'n Hope" instead of actual FIXING.

I can paint, scrape, spackle, move stuff (up to a certain weight limit, heh heh) and* do "regular" lawn work.
I do not want to spring for, and end up using ONCE and owning forever,* different kinds of shovels, and tools, and gadgets. What I WANT is the f'ing THING FIXED! Not in a few days or whenever I can get* to it,* or I'm able to FIGURE IT OUT.* IT!....* FIXED! ..... NOW! (Or ASAP)

I do the simple obvious stuff or optional stuff that has no consequences and might even have some "theraputic value"

For everything else I just take Sherriff Andy's advice and ...

Call THE MAN!

Before I retired* I knew I'd need some emergency money not in my normal pool. I did a fairly detailed audit of all the expensive emergencies I had had in life from age 15 to age 38. There were not all that many. And MOST of them were related to having a job anyway. Usually travel and automobile related. Yes, I needed an emergency furnace in February in Utica once.* You can't do that one yourself and save money.* But how many emergency furnaces will you need? It probably averages out to <1 per lifetime

So, I figured for the next 30-40 yrs I couldnt be any worse off. Something comes up... I just pay for it.* I want something "non-standard"... I don't waste my time trying to cheap-it-out. I buy it at the store or pay a guy who knows how to do that stuff.* Call it Trickle down economics* if you want.* Everybody's a winner

Quote:
I like to hear of other people's expenses.* Not to gloat, but just to bring me back to reality of what it costs to do things.* I'm over on the extreme end of D-I-Y, and I grumble about the cost of materials or parts.* I lose touch with what people are paying to have things done.

I haven't tried dentistry yet*
I've broken up lot's of concrete with a jackhammer, but I've never poured 2000 sq. ft.!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly

I haven't tried dentistry yet* :P
I made a deal with the concrete folks..............they don't make or test prescription drugs and I don't pour and finish large quantities of concrete. It works for me.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
If they buy the tools they will use them ONCE in their whole lives...maybe twice...
If I can learn how to fix the problem, and if the right tool helps me fix the problem, and if calling the man is more expensive than buying the tool, then I'll buy or rent the tool.* When I'm done, even if I never use it again, I might be able to admire a cool tool or perhaps generously loan it out to envious neighbors, and we're still ahead of the expenses. In our house that philosophy has been shortened to "Just go get the damned tool, eh?"

Our personal best was using a gas-powered concrete cutter in our master bathroom. Those whirlpool tubs just don't fit the traditional bathtub drains.

Planting our downhill slope was brutal with all the lava rock & clay.* I was making satisfactory progress with a mattock but the pace really picked up when we rented a gasoline-fueled post-hole digger.* It was power-tool playtime, it was fast, it was fun.* The best part was that suddenly my spouse realized that we needed 20 or 30 holes drilled all over the yard!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #50

Quote:
If I can learn how to fix the problem, and if the right tool helps me fix the problem, and if calling the man is more expensive than buying the tool, then I'll buy or rent the tool. When I'm done, even if I never use it again, I might be able to admire a cool tool or perhaps generously loan it out to envious neighbors, and we're still ahead of the expenses. In our house that philosophy has been shortened to "Just go get the damned tool, eh?"
This is what I mean. People talkin' all kinds of S to themsleves to rationalize something, instead of just identifying the mission and getting it done.

So what if you save a few dollars. Only poor people sweat that anyway. What you want is something DONE. Now if you simply WANT to do that thing with the tool ... then it's either like enjoying a good meal, or playing the violin: You derive pleasure from it, and that's OK. Or it's like going to the bathroom: You simply have to and you can't help yourself. But this is really outside the bailywick of "out of the blue expenses"

Old 05-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #51

Quote:
Cat. $350. Oxymoron
If our cat or dog ever got lame somehow, i'd go on one of them hunting trips where 2 go out, and one comes back. I ain't paying no $50 dollars to put one to sleep either when i can do the same thing with a 20cent 12 guage shell.

Azanon
Old 05-05-2006, 12:39 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
If our cat or dog ever got lame somehow, i'd go on one of them hunting trips where 2 go out, and one comes back.* * I ain't paying no $50 dollars to put one to sleep either when i can do the same thing with a 20cent 12 guage shell.

Azanon
This comes as absolutely no shock to me.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #53

Quote:
This comes as absolutely no shock to me.
Yeah i know, i'm logical like that.* *I used to hunt deer too and i also killed them with a weapon.* *That is no more "inhumane" than killing a cat or dog the same way.*

Nothing beats the assurance of knowing they didn't suffer long by seeing it with your own eyes.

I do understand though, brewer, killing is probably not meant for everyone. Some folks just aren't cut out for it.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is what I mean. People talkin' all kinds of S to themsleves to rationalize something, instead of just identifying the mission and getting it done.*
So what if you save a few dollars. Only poor people sweat that anyway.
I do beg your pardon. *Good thing that we're both ER'd and neither one of us is poor.

Money is one factor and the one most easily acknowledged by most, but there are other issues.

Quote:
What you want is something *DONE.
Absolutely. *But first we have to deal with the "hassle factor". *

You call about ten businesses and actually speak to maybe five. *Then you wait for one or two of them to show up (as four of them promised to do) and obtain an estimate (still a good thing we're not poor). *Then you arrange a time (because the estimator isn't the actual repair-it-ator), hopefully not too far in the future, when you'll be home between sunrise & sunset to accomodate the technician's schedule. *Hopefully they'll show up on time, with the right parts, and not get called away in the middle of the job.

Or you could go to Home Depot for the tool, spend an hour reading their "How To" guides or browsing a website, and git 'er done.

Quote:
Now if you simply WANT to do that thing with the tool ... then it's either like enjoying a good meal, or playing the violin: You derive pleasure from it, and that's OK. Or it's like going to the bathroom: You simply have to and you can't help yourself. *But this is really outside the bailywick of "out of the blue expenses"
Yeah, that fits better under the "entertainment" budget...

Quote:
Yeah i know, i'm logical like that. I used to hunt deer too and i also killed them with a weapon. That is no more "inhumane" than killing a cat or dog the same way.
Nothing beats the assurance of knowing they didn't suffer long by seeing it with your own eyes.
I do understand though, brewer, killing is probably not meant for everyone. Some folks just aren't cut out for it.
Gee, Az, have you shared this philosophy with your spouse & kids for your golden years?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Gee, Az, have you shared this philosophy with your spouse & kids for your golden years?
I distinguish between people and other animals.* *I'm going to assume by your statement you do not, otherwise it would be an ignorant statement.

I grew up in rural Arkansas.* Just about any man here would be willing to do the same, and you'd be viewed as a little strange if you had to "pay" someone to do your killing for you' or simply "ye aren't from around here are yae".* * Oh yeah, sure, some of the "women" probably run the family pet up to the vet if they're not married, or if they just want to help placate their feelings despite the typical man's frugilness in regards to this matter.* But most men of the house around here would likely handle it that way.

I love living things, which is why i chose Biology.* But death is part of life.* *There's no reason to get so sentiment and wrapped up in a very natural process.

Nobody here hunts? You all city folks?

Azanon
Old 05-05-2006, 01:39 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Nobody here hunts?*
Sorry, Az, I turned in my hunting license when I retired from the military. It was a profession, not a source of food or entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I was attempting once again to make a point. While you may view pets as worth less than humans in a cold-hearted calculus, many people feel differently. To suggest that euthanasia is the best financial solution to a pet's struggles is inconsiderate at best and trolling at worst. Next time you feel that "Ever'body's pickin' on me!" you might consider that you've earned it with your unecessary imposition of your personal life philosophy in this thread.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #57

Quote:
While you may view pets as worth less than humans in a cold-hearted calculus, many people feel differently. To suggest that euthanasia is the best financial solution to a pet's struggles is inconsiderate at best and trolling at worst.
Perfect example. Sure, you could it youself. But if you want it done right.. Call The Man.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #58

I have to side with Nords. When I want something done, if it's something I can do it's much faster and simpler to do it myself.

I'll admit that a part of this simply my control issues. I don't feel comfortable hiring a serviceperson unless I know exactly what they are doing, and how they are doing it. And I usually want to do some research to figure out if there is anyone else who does it a different better way. Researching all that usually gives me enough knowledge to do it myself.

The main advantage of DIY is that I don't have the constraints that a serviceperson has. I can be much more detail-oriented than would be profitable for a serviceperson, so I often get better results. I can work when it is convenient for me. I can use the materials I want to use.

Also, most of the money you pay a serviceperson goes towards their overhead and taxes. By doing it yourself you keep all that for yourself. You're keeping the IRS's cut of the transaction.

But I do draw a line at jobs that are hazardous to my health... I'll be the first one to hire the asbestos abatement company when I want to remove the popcorn ceilings in my condo.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

You call about ten businesses and actually speak to maybe five. *Then you wait for one or two of them to show up (as four of them promised to do) and obtain an estimate (still a good thing we're not poor). *Then you arrange a time (because the estimator isn't the actual repair-it-ator), hopefully not too far in the future, when you'll be home between sunrise & sunset to accomodate the technician's schedule. *Hopefully they'll show up on time, with the right parts, and not get called away in the middle of the job.
* And you've just articulated why I'm so looking forward to having my house's storm damage repaired ....
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

On DIY vs. calling in a pro: Like free4now, I usualy do a lot of research before i would call for help, so when the guy gets there I'm not totally ignorant about the problem and likely fix. This has led me to doubt the expertise of many of these guys. For example, when our furnace crumped out, I caled several companies for an estimate. I explained to all of them that we'd made some improvements to the house (new windows, more insulation) and that I wanted a furnace that was sized right. None of them took the time to do this--most just attempted to sell me a furnace based on the rating of the old one, and two companies used a wag based on square footage. Because I'd used a "legit" online calculator to do the estimate myself, I already knew the size furnace I needed, and that all the estimates were off by 25%-50%. After some trepidation I just bought the unit and put it in myself--it's been working great through one winter.

I think most of the pros know a lot more than I do and can do routine stuff much faster, but it pays to learn enough to spot BS wen you see it.