Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I'm glad you feel that way. You won't feel so bad then when you have to send in more money.
Oh, I'll feel bad. But this pertains to my post how?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Easy to say, we can't do that. Nah, nah.

But coal is present day harmful- it damages lungs and hearts, and it causes atmospheric warming. These things are certain. Natural gas is suposedly plentiful but apparently there are grave questions about ground water pollution from frac-ing these horizonatal wells in shale formations, and we really do not know how long the reserves will last anyway. These wells have very rapid depletion profiles.

Also, NG may be only half as potent as coal wrt atmospheric warming, but it nevertheless does contribute and we already are at what appear to be risky levels of carbon. We need power, our current solution-fossil fuels- have many known important health and environmental hazards, plus they are running low. Wind and solar will help, but likely will never and certainly will not anytime soon shoulder the base load role, so get smart and bring on the nukes. We can give any county that accepts waste disposal tax abatements, or even special refundable tax credits to residents. People would live in Hell for a little more money.

Avoiding nuclear is likely just another example of driving somewhere instead of flying, because "flying is too dangerous". What these things are is dramatic, and thus emotionally compelling. The French seem to be able to deal with the nuclear question, why can't we?

Anyway, we have had a lot of nuclear plants operating with no problems for many years. Every year the technology gets better, in part because the French are not so irrational as we. Even Three Mile Island was a dud as far as natural disasters are concerned.

Ha
have recent events changed your mind lately ?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #23

The timing of this discussion was really weird.

However, regarding nuclear power plants, I think we need to quit asking for zero risk. Placement near known high stress fault zones is a lesson learned. And there are no guarantees even if placed in better locations that are accommodating.

Um, looking at Japan, maybe we should float them on inland barges like in the Great Lakes so we can give them an offshore heave and a good dunking if they get hot.

Stupidness aside, we have a much larger land mass to work with and natural disasters will always be with us. I say let's be brave. What is the disaster risk of oil? Apparently the risk of whoever can be killed in a single multi-region attack or a BP. What is the difference? We can minimize the number people at risk.

So, in my mind, nothing has changed except that we have more data because of the most recent lesson learned. No one has died yet as a result of the plants. Let's see what evolves in terms of "long term care" of the retired facilities.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you take one of those paperweights out of the refrigerator they start to glow and heat up. Sure it saves on lighting and heating costs but can burn a hole on the coffee table. If you do that you need an asbestos coaster underneath.
No can do. Don't you know that asbestos is dangerous.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
have recent events changed your mind lately ?
Of course not. Mining coal kills people every week in the US and all over the world.

We have to have power. What happens or doesn't happen to old technology plants in an enormous earthquake should not in my opinion sway informed opinion.

Tokyo Electric Power, the owner of these plants, has yet to reopen for trading. That will be interesting once it reopens. One of the largest US nuclear plant operators, Excelon, is down modestly so far today.

Ha
Old 03-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've heard people claim that he was Kenyan, but Irish is new to me.
Sounds like he's got some Irish-American relatives (some who didn't even vote for him)...

President O'Bama? Irish-American relatives ID'd

President Barack Obama found out years ago he had an Irish ancestor who fled the potato famine in 1850. He can now claim 28 living relatives who also descended from that Irishman, including a Vietnam veteran, a school nurse and a displeased Arizona Republican.

President O'Bama? Irish-American relatives ID'd - Yahoo! News

omni
Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #27

It would help a lot if we would reprocess the waste into new fuel. That makes the storage problem much, much smaller.

Quote:
The real issue is what to do with all that very long lived every so slowly decaying waste material. There really is no good solution for that one.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've heard people claim that he was Kenyan, but Irish is new to me.
I thought he was Hawaiian?
Old 03-17-2011, 03:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
It would help a lot if we would reprocess the waste into new fuel. That makes the storage problem much, much smaller.
As I understand it, a byproduct of what you post is then fissile material. The cooler heads know this and don't want any part of that technology. It's kind of an - Evil of two Lessors - kind of thing.

North Korea has done things along these lines.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #30

France already does it for most of their power needs.

My understanding is that there are now ways to do it that keeps everything non-weapons grade.

Either way, it doesn't really change the security needs at a nuclear power plant very much. You pretty much have to have near-military levels of security at them anyway.

Quote:
As I understand it, a byproduct of what you post is then fissile material. The cooler heads know this and don't want any part of that technology. It's kind of an - Evil of two Lessors - kind of thing.

North Korea has done things along these lines.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
France already does it for most of their power needs.

My understanding is that there are now ways to do it that keeps everything non-weapons grade.

Either way, it doesn't really change the security needs at a nuclear power plant very much. You pretty much have to have near-military levels of security at them anyway.
Probably should be full military level security when you think about it.

BTW, if you come across anything saying more about your comment re: French reprocessing, please post it. I wish I could read French, it would be interesting to see what their press is saying about the nuclear aspect of the Japanese situation.

Ha