Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Outlooks > 30 years....Are we too optimistic??
Old 07-20-2003, 06:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Outlooks > 30 years....Are we too optimistic??

Hi

I've been following this and other REHP pages. In my humbled opinion, assuming the next 60-year period cannot be worse than the past, is a little too optimistic.

I think maybe we've got enough data to be confident about a 30-year period, but probably not longer ones (because of fewer periods available). Therefore, I think for someone who is planning for the next 60 years, that person should plan so that his portfolio would survive the worst 30 yr period from the past (e.g., 1965-1995) and still have enough purchasing power left to survive another such 30 years. For 50-year outlook, 30+20 may be the way to go.

What does everyone think??

amt
amt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Outlooks > 30 years....Are we too optimistic??
Old 07-20-2003, 08:51 AM   #2

Done it.

I used 1966-1996 (The worst 30 yr period due to low performance and high inflation and truncated prior to the unreasonably cheery bull market 1996-2000 which I though would be tacking on too much compensation after a bad spell)

Then looped back to 1966-1986. I belive the safe withdrawl rate I ended up with was 3.3% I don't have that "paperwork" anymore but if it were a complete catastrophe like 2% or 1.8% I think I'd have remembered that

Old 02-03-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is an interesting link I found at Fund Alarm.

"Retirement Distributions: Creating a Limitless Income Stream for an Unknowable Longevity "

http://www.fpanet.org/journal/articl...nderforprint=1
Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is an interesting link I found at Fund Alarm.

"Retirement Distributions: Creating a Limitless Income Stream for an Unknowable Longevity "

http://www.fpanet.org/journal/articl...nderforprint=1
I read the article linked above. Here is an interesting quote, which to my mind is typical of financial planner types:

Kathleen P. Day, CFP®, CFA, of The Enrichment Group in Miami, Florida, notes that a withdrawal rate that seemed safe a few years ago may not be safe any longer. “Portfolios are down and we anticipate lower returns,” she says. “Although we used distribution levels of five percent to six percent, at this point we’re cutting back to five percent as absolute top level, but we are much more comfortable with three percent."

Portfolios are down and we anticipate lower returns? Excuse me, but portfolios being down is mathematically predictive of higher returns, as compared to when portfolios were up. Maybe what she means is that she got a whack to the side of the head, as portfolios came down, and now she is able to recognize that the returns formerly assumed were ridiculous.

Mikey
Old 02-03-2004, 01:09 PM   #5

Mikey,

Yeah, I also read that link. That was my reaction also.

I like Bernsteins comment regarding Stock Brokers. "They service their clients, just like Bonnie and Clyde Serviced Banks"
Old 02-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I'm too old school but I still think the 'short end of the stick' - dividends, interest, SEC yield is the important one - provided it covers expenses - then portfolio fluctuation is - Mr Market in Ben Graham terms and portfolio longevity a non- issue.

Of course, I love FIREcalc and all those other modern tools developed in the 'modern era' - but if 'hard times' return I'm more inclined to cut expenses and LBYM with the portfolio income we have. In our case, that's doable with the help of pensions plus hopefully SS.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #7

Hi unclemick! It's okay to be "old school", me too!
I think it's because we are geezers (relatively
speaking). My attitude toward what is safe to do
in ER and how much I need, and how long the money will last has changed drastically since 1993. I'm close
to SS and 11 years nearer to my demise. As the guy said who was about to be executed. "It focuses your attention wonderfully!"

John Galt