Over 2x Difference In Auto Insurance Rates From Highest To Lowest State

When I moved here from South Carolina, my motorcycle insurance quadrupled.

Makes me happy to live in Ohio - the 46th most expensive state. Strange that I could move 3 miles north into Michigan and multiply my insurance rates by 2.5 times

Actually my car insurance for all 4 of our cars is around $1,100 for a year, so I'm very happy with that deal. Of course they are all older cars (LBYM FTW!) so that's a lot of the reason they are so cheap to insure.

By the way, the math in the article is way off - Vermont is not 87% cheaper than MI like it states - more like 60%.

I think the Michigan number is skewed by Detroit city rates. I pay about $500/ year for full coverage here on the prairie.

I wonder just how accurate it is as MN #22 is rated more expensive than AZ #41. I have vehicles in both states and MN is cheaper by far.

Michigan resident here,,,

For my 20 year old daughter; liability insurance only will cost her about $100 bucks a month on a 15 year old POS.

for me and DW we pay about $120 a month for 2 newer cars with full coverage and 1 "kid' car with liability only.

Often the difference is based on the urbanization of some states on average. For example, my auto premiums went down by nearly 40% when we moved out of Houston and into the semi-rural Hill Country in the central part of the state (with no changes in coverage). States that are mostly urban would tend to have higher rates, among other factors.

Where you live in Minnesota makes a huge difference in rates.

If you are in a Minneapolis zip code, car insurance is extremely high, while it is much lower if you live in a suburb or outstate.

I was quoted a price of roughly $200/month for minimum liability on an 84 Honda Civic when I graduated from college in 1995 (under 25 male, but no accidents). It was about $75/month in Wisconsin, and ended up being about $100/month when I later moved to the suburbs.

Everyone I knew who had a car in college left it registered at their parents' homes.

I wonder just how accurate it is as MN #22 is rated more expensive than AZ #41. I have vehicles in both states and MN is cheaper by far.

Back
Top Bottom