Join Early Retirement Today
Old 01-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Plan B was to have enough passive income to cover our expenses by age 50. We got there a lot sooner than expected, thankfully.

Plan C is to sell some hard assets to replenish our income-producing portfolio.

Plan D is to work part time to supplement our passive income (DW and I are working on several possible self-employment ideas right now).

Plan E is to move abroad. With my EU citizenship, many choices are open to us - places with good quality of life, lower COL, and cheaper health care.

FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Inspiring article - so many people are reinventing themselves (professionally) out of economic necessity and in the process, finding more satisfaction & fulfillment. Power to them.

walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
I'll be on medicare by then, if it survives.
Precisely. And even if it does survive, just being on Medicare doesn't fully resolve the concern about health care costs.

Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I don't think anything can be considered "absolutely guaranteed". The question is are you willing to wait an additional 10 years (or however long it takes for your portfolio to double) to FIRE? or will you decide the risks are acceptable with the Affordable Care Act? or split the difference somehow?
I have no great desire to retire too early. I'll be happy to go at least another twelve years if possible; that'll put me at 62. RE is my Plan B. But that "splitting the difference" becomes a significant consideration as the availability of jobs for people my age declines sharply, such that the compensation I can hope to receive declines sharply. There comes a point where continuing to work becomes less valuable than retiring early, assuming that FI is achieved. Questions pop up for me; for example: When does working longer (at a substantially lower salary) start eating into SS, for example? But more qualitatively: At what salary level does it become worth severely cutting expectations for FI, for how much we can spend in retirement, in order to no longer work. Lots of questions.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Plan A: Live off of DB pension (continue in accumulation phase due to low living expenses)

Plan B: Live off of PBGC payout if pension goes bankrupt (continue in accumulation phase, albeit reduced)

Plan C: Live off of Social Security (remain in accumulation phase, albeit further reduced)

Plan D: Live off of investment portfolio at about 1% withdrawal rate

Plan E: Move to lower cost of living area (currently in San Francisco Bay Area)

Plan F: Obtain reverse mortgage

Plan G: Cut already low living expenses (e.g., eliminate cable TV, car)

Plan H: Do you want fries with that?
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Glad I retired while I was still young enough not to care that we did not have all these issues to deal with.

NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote