Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Over 55 poll
Old 01-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #21

Just to clarify, I guess I should have said expensive trips
instead of "big trips". Anyway, I agree that you shouldn't sit in your chair all day just to save money. Get out there and enjoy. We'll all be dead soon enough.

Like Cut-Throat, I like to get out there and just meander The most fun I had doing that was when I was riding the motorcycle a lot. I recall
once I took off without any destination at all. It was
an overcast day, but I saw some sun way off on the northern horizon. I headed in that direction, all by myself.
Didn't come back for a week. Great trip!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excellent post, am going on 54 this year and looking forward to retirement or even semi-retirement. Thirty-one years in the rate race is enough plus as others have posted here, seeing friends young and old alike checking out (dying) kind of gives you a different perspective on the value of working any longer than you have to. A retired friend once told me he never heard of anybody on their death bed regretting they hadn't worked long enough.

Normal is an illusion...what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:05 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yup, you're right here Hyper!

I am planning my New Mexico Trout fishing trip presently. It won't cost that much money, but it will take me 3 days to get down there and 3 days to get back. A week of traveling, just to fish. I would never have done this while I was working. Waste a whole week on the road! No, I would have flown in, rented a car - and by the time I got there, it would have been difficult to tell from one of my business trips.

Now I am looking forward to it! - This will be one of the first trips I have taken since retired that it will feel like I'm 'really' retired

The big benefit, is that I don't know when I'm leaving and I don't know when I'm coming back. I'm gonna watch the weather and take off when the weather and fishing is favorable. I may stop off at some National Parks that I have not been to yet also. Can't do that very well when you fly, rent a car etc. etc.
Hey cut throat: Where will you be going fshing in NM? I am headed there in April and would love some inside skinny.
"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #24

Hey cut throat: *Where will you be going fshing in NM? *I am headed there in April and would love some inside skinny.

I'll be fishing the San Juan River immediately below the Navajo Dam. It's no secret, It's a famous Tailwater Trout Fishery. 20,000 trout per mile with an average length of 16 inches, many over 20 inches.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #25

Gosh Cut-Throat, if I was not so busy I would head for New Mexico right now. Have not been there in years.

Today, my wife held a man's hand for hours until he died. She does this routinely in her work. The woman is
a saint. I'll tell you folks, if that is not a wake-up call
you are too far gone to save.