Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some of my coworkers asked me. But then again, I had been working part-time for 7 years prior to my retiring, so it wasn't really a big change. Many of the people I hang with are older than me, retirees, so now I have more in common with them!

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:40 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

It's total nonsense. Everyone knows sitting around the house doing nothing increases the risk of mental illness. Instead of "freedom" you get to live in constant fear that your income stream and/or portfolio would shrink due to uncontrolled external shocks.

Rather than FIRE, AIR, or WATER, focus on obtaining happiness.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilspill View Post
It's total nonsense. Everyone knows sitting around the house doing nothing increases the risk of mental illness. Instead of "freedom" you get to live in constant fear that your income stream and/or portfolio would shrink due to uncontrolled external shocks.

"Everyone Knows..."
Old 06-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Seems to me, you should work on your own happiness. Happy people don't go around trolling the internet.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It's total nonsense. Everyone knows sitting around the house doing nothing increases the risk of mental illness.
Oh, no!

Quote:
Instead of "freedom" you get to live in constant fear that your income stream and/or portfolio would shrink due to uncontrolled external shocks.
Like when I get laid off, or the factory explodes, or when I push THAT button?

Quote:
Joy!

Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Happy, happy, joy, joy, *PLONK*!

Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
By any chance would you happen to be ER'd yourself, or would you still be working? I don't see much to indicate ER experience, nor any desire to be responsible for your own entertainment.

Hmmm. No introductory "Hi, I am..." post, jumped right into the threads with discouraging comments about ER, not much in your profile. A bunch of short responses with little substance or thoughtful comment, let alone contributions. Definitely some anger, perhaps smoldering resentment.

Two dozen posts in the last month, but I think we've seen enough.

Can we get a moderator over here to check this guy's IP address against other notorious poster IDs? I'm just sayin'...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I never really gave a cr*p what anyone thought of me or my lifestyle.
Me too.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, don't rub it in their faces!
It wouldn't do any good anyway. The few I've managed to proselytize really understand. The light goes on and they see with new eyes. The others hear the words but it won't compute. Their eyes glaze over and you can almost hear them chant, "me go work now, me go work now, me go work now, me go work now, me go work now...
Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Happy, happy, joy, joy!

Stimpson "Stimpy" J. Cat may or may not have the proper attitude for FIRE.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #30

Quote:
As opposed to the total freedom of being dependent on corporate America for your next paycheck? The "liberation" you feel when you are dependent on a Megacorp paycheck even as they announce another cut of 10% of their workforce? Yeah, sign me up for that "freedom." That "freedom" is about as Orwellian as it gets...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_A._Riley View Post
Stimpson "Stimpy" J. Cat may or may not have the proper attitude for FIRE.
True, dat. But, even if there is a risk of mental illness, nobody will notice!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #32

psst ... let em'work ... somebody has to keep SS solvent.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
psst ... let em'work ... somebody has to keep SS solvent.
Get more people with that attitude and maybe I can still get it at 67. Or even 62...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Old 06-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Get more people with that attitude and maybe I can still get it at 67. Or even 62...
I ran into a guy (64 yo) I used to work with and we talked retirement. He said he'll keep working until he's 67 to get another $500 per month of SS. His wife just retired after being a life-long teacher. I don't get it.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I ran into a guy (64 yo) I used to work with and we talked retirement. He said he'll keep working until he's 67 to get another $500 per month of SS. His wife just retired after being a life-long teacher. I don't get it.
We all have our price. Apparently his job doesn't suck enough (to him) that he feels a need to get out. If someone has a modest lifestyle, SS and a lifelong teacher's pension should be enough. But either his job isn't too bad or he has a terrible case of "one more year syndrome" three times over.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I don't get it.
Maybe he doesn't have it.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Maybe he doesn't have it.
I'm not gonna give it to him....
Old 07-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm not gonna give it to him....
... and another thread nosedives into the gutter!

I was referring to adequate assets to ensure a fulfilling retirement.

But perhaps you were too...

Old 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah. Everyone knows that if you're not working, there is absolutely nothing to do but sit around the house and vegetate!