Over Concern

It's total nonsense. Everyone knows sitting around the house doing nothing increases the risk of mental illness. Instead of "freedom" you get to live in constant fear that your income stream and/or portfolio would shrink due to uncontrolled external shocks.
Rather than FIRE, AIR, or WATER, focus on obtaining happiness.
By any chance would you happen to be ER'd yourself, or would you still be working? I don't see much to indicate ER experience, nor any desire to be responsible for your own entertainment.

Hmmm. No introductory "Hi, I am..." post, jumped right into the threads with discouraging comments about ER, not much in your profile. A bunch of short responses with little substance or thoughtful comment, let alone contributions. Definitely some anger, perhaps smoldering resentment.

Two dozen posts in the last month, but I think we've seen enough.

Can we get a moderator over here to check this guy's IP address against other notorious poster IDs? I'm just sayin'...

Well, don't rub it in their faces!

It wouldn't do any good anyway. The few I've managed to proselytize really understand. The light goes on and they see with new eyes. The others hear the words but it won't compute. Their eyes glaze over and you can almost hear them chant, "me go work now, me go work now, me go work now, me go work now, me go work now...:rolleyes:

Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Happy, happy, joy, joy!
Happy, happy, joy, joy!

stimpy.jpg

Stimpson "Stimpy" J. Cat may or may not have the proper attitude for FIRE.:D

It's total nonsense. Everyone knows sitting around the house doing nothing increases the risk of mental illness. Instead of "freedom" you get to live in constant fear that your income stream and/or portfolio would shrink due to uncontrolled external shocks.
As opposed to the total freedom of being dependent on corporate America for your next paycheck? The "liberation" you feel when you are dependent on a Megacorp paycheck even as they announce another cut of 10% of their workforce? Yeah, sign me up for that "freedom." That "freedom" is about as Orwellian as it gets... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

psst ... let em'work ... somebody has to keep SS solvent.

Get more people with that attitude and maybe I can still get it at 67. Or even 62... :)

I ran into a guy (64 yo) I used to work with and we talked retirement. He said he'll keep working until he's 67 to get another $500 per month of SS. His wife just retired after being a life-long teacher. I don't get it.

I ran into a guy (64 yo) I used to work with and we talked retirement. He said he'll keep working until he's 67 to get another $500 per month of SS. His wife just retired after being a life-long teacher. I don't get it.
We all have our price. Apparently his job doesn't suck enough (to him) that he feels a need to get out. If someone has a modest lifestyle, SS and a lifelong teacher's pension should be enough. But either his job isn't too bad or he has a terrible case of "one more year syndrome" three times over.

I'm not gonna give it to him....
... and another thread nosedives into the gutter!

I was referring to adequate assets to ensure a fulfilling retirement.

But perhaps you were too...

Yeah. Everyone knows that if you're not working, there is absolutely nothing to do but sit around the house and vegetate!:LOL:

... and another thread nosedives into the gutter!

I was referring to adequate assets to ensure a fulfilling retirement.

But perhaps you were too...
Oh yes...I was referring to adequate assets. If a man can not ensure fulfillment on his own and yearns for the days of inflation, there is nothing I can do for him.

Oh yes...I was referring to adequate assets. If a man can not ensure fulfillment on his own and yearns for the days of inflation, there is nothing I can do for him.

Ouch..........:cool:

So, "self-help", and a little blue pill not withstanding, what do ya really mean?? :D

Ouch..........:cool:

So, "self-help", and a little blue pill not withstanding, what do ya really mean?? :D
Well, what is really important.... a portfolio should be sufficient in providing longevity to ensure success.

Back
Top Bottom