Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Own a beater & just rent cars for travel?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

We do it all the time. We can rent from Enterprise for $20/day on weekends and the rental car gets better gas mileage then the car we would have used. For example, on a 800 mile round trip we will save $20 in gas by renting and spend $60 for the rental therefore netting out to costing only $40 to rent instead of drive out own car. If you figure 30cent/mile to drive our own car (excluding gas which I already accounted for) then it really makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb
Last month I made a ~2500 road trip to Austin in our 2000 Camry to get a head start on spring and meet up with some guitar buddies.

While driving with the windows down & Joe Ely Live at Libery Lunch in the CD player I did what any of you would do...mental arithmetic on the economics of using up ~2.5% of the miles we'll get out of a car we bought for $8500 and will dump for ~$500 after putting ~100K on it...

It seemed to me like I might be able to rent a new car with no mileage limit for less than the ~$200 I 'used up' on my trip.

Well, Friday I torqued my knee and wasn't able to replace the front brake pads on the Camry, so my wife rented a car for a ~1000 mile trip yesterday. $170 for the week...

Do any of you folks rent cars for long driving trips?

Cb

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Set of tires from Tire Rack (discount store), mounted & balanced locally, cost $1,600. Tire life is about 20,000 miles or a little less, hence the 8 cents per mile. But they stick like Velcro.
Corvette with optional handling package, runflat tires.
As mentioned, it's all part of the "travel experience", although sometimes the scenery is a blur.
We do have to make some other financial adjustments to cover this extravagance. This is probably one of those expenses that will decline drastically when we grow up, oops, I mean get older.
Lord have mercy! $1,600 for a set of tires. A buddy of mine just bought a Corvette, I will have to tell him what to look forward to on a replacement set.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Set of tires from Tire Rack (discount store), mounted & balanced locally, cost $1,600. Tire life is about 20,000 miles or a little less, hence the 8 cents per mile. But they stick like Velcro.
I tried extreme performance tires once in 97. $800 for 4 tires. They lasted less than 20Kmiles. I tried really hard to feel the difference between these and the regular ones ($480/set, 40Kmiles), but could not find anything tangible.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

We've taken several vacations in rental cars. Our fleet, at that time, consisted of older, high milage cars and I was able to find great rental deals by picking up the rental at the nearby airport. It made sense.

Haven't been doing it lately since we have a good vehicle for traveling and many of our trips tend to be more spontaneous since RE. It's hard and/or inconvenient to find those great rental deals when you, at the last minute, decide to leave a day earlier or extend your one week trip by a couple days because you're having a good time and aren't ready to come home yet.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
We've taken several vacations in rental cars. Our fleet, at that time, consisted of older, high milage cars and I was able to find great rental deals by picking up the rental at the nearby airport. It made sense.

Haven't been doing it lately since we have a good vehicle for traveling and many of our trips tend to be more spontaneous since RE. It's hard and/or inconvenient to find those great rental deals when you, at the last minute, decide to leave a day earlier or extend your one week trip by a couple days because you're having a good time and aren't ready to come home yet.
Excellent point....... I suppose a lot of folks got down to one car when they FIRE, so decisions need to be made. Right or wrong, I believe having ONE reliable car is a must in my life.

I have been burned before........ :P

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote