Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
In an attempt to re-rail the derailment (dont try this at home, kids!), here are a list of unusual pies...

Old Fashioned Sweet Green Tomato Pie
Ricotta and Fig Pie with Brioche Crust
Papaya Pie with Shortbread Crust
Grape Pie
Cheddar Cheese Fudge Pie

Anyone else have an interesting pie?

Aloha Avocado Pie
Coffee Cream Pie - a breakfast for champions!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 11:50 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Nice softball pitch to the board, LP! Take it away, boys--
Yeah, I just slapped myself in the face.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

IMHO as a woman, I believe most men like gooey pies.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Okay, I think you need to slap me in the face now too...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

...and make you lose your mouthful of pie? I wouldn't think of it!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shes my cherry pie...

So sorry. Forgot a utube link to song.. how could I resist..

Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Lad. FWIW, I read more financial posts than alien ones, although I'll note that one of the big contributors to SETI is the Gordon Moore Foundation

I appreciate you raising all of the issue you've raised over this year. It is forced me to dig deeper if only to prove you wrong .

I've been less aggressive about buying financial stocks, because I've realized after reading your and others post that it is possible (but not probable) that "this time
maybe different". So I have recently resisted the temptation to buy with both fist the 30-40% sale on stocks we have been having. I think there are benefits to diversification, but I don't think it is useful to worry about financial Armageddon.

If the SP drops to 400-500 as RockON says MAY happen, having 10% of my assets in oil or gold just isn't going to help out enough even if they double or triple in price. Or worse yet if we see deflation as you've discussed, nothing is going to help.

My portfolio has been battered, and it is hard to get used to watching 100+ year old banks like Wells Fargo, or Bank of America move up and down 10-30% in a day. Still I focus on dividends and interest. This year I've have had 21 companies increases dividend vs one (soon to be 2) which cut. So despite lower interest rates my income increased this year even while my net worth decreased.

Yes, I am by nature fairly optimistic. Perhaps because I study history a lot, I try to maintain an historical context, so while the world looks more scary now than in the mid 1990s, compared to virtually any other period in the last 100 years, it looks pretty good. We are not looking at double digit unemployment rates, inflation rates, widespread deflation. hundreds of banks aren't failing, the rest of the world is enjoying higher living standard.

Modern country ruled by madman aren't trying to take over the world, Communism is almost dead, we aren't being threatened by 10,000 nuclear warheads, AIDs isn't going wipe out the human race, race rights aren't burning our cities, our political leaders aren't been routinely targeted for assassination. We even have two much better than average guys running for President.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

I like it better when one of them is a huge doofus. Makes it a lot easier to pick.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks we could do worse than the two candidates we have this time around. I'm pretty positive about this election.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I've been less aggressive about buying financial stocks
Thanks, clifp.. I'll tell you where you can send the check. Stay strong. I feel they will continue to plummet. I have not sold mine (BAC and C) because I have had them for forever -forever being: so long that I would still have to pay taxes on a gain even today- plus they are on Paulson's "golden" list of "stocks ye shall not naked short".

I'm keeping them as a perverse experiment, as I am most of my stocks.

True that if worse comes to worst, we will all be in bad shape. but we living off investments will be markedly worse off than others. Those that wlll do best are those who have a job they can keep, and those with mostly tangible assets. I'm pretty insecure on both those counts.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I'll tell you where you can send the check
Should it go the other way, does he also get to send you the bill?

Clif...I get my usual 10% if it all works out...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

BAC, C, JPM - still leftover from the DRIP file cabinet. Not buying more yet.

BUT - Sara Lee Cherry and Edward's Coconut Creme - neither on yesterday's shopping list.

This forum sneaks into the old subconscious.

heh heh heh - pie and maybe falling knives!